OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 07:39:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Russian Orthodox Church and North korea  (Read 2702 times) Average Rating: 0
Bishop Paul Andrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American Orthodox Catholic Church/ Holy Synod of North and South America.

« on: July 08, 2006, 03:48:30 AM »

I have read some where that the MP has put an Orthodox Church in North Korea. Now I thought that the MP was no long was a communist Church, But yet they put a Orthodox Church in North Korea. Is this the Work of Putin and Alexie
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 03:01:22 PM »

I have read some where that the MP has put an Orthodox Church in North Korea. Now I thought that the MP was no long was a communist Church, But yet they put a Orthodox Church in North Korea. Is this the Work of Putin and Alexie

Any church set up in North Korea by Moscow is likely for the staff of the Russian embassy, not the people of North Korea. Please stop trying to look for conspiracies everywhere.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 03:03:39 PM »

There's also the question of "read somewhere" which might or might not be a reliable or accurate report, or a possibility of misremembering.  Not all information sources are created equal.  Wink

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 03:16:00 PM »

I must have missed the part where Christ told the Apostles to go forth and make disciples of all nations, except for communist ones.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 05:24:32 PM »

This may be what you heard of.  If so, it predates Communism.

http://www.orthodox.or.kr/english/history.htm

Bishop Paul Andrew

Jurisdiction: American Orthodox Catholic Church/ Holy Synod of North and South America.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 05:38:21 PM »

Any church set up in North Korea by Moscow is likely for the staff of the Russian embassy, not the people of North Korea. Please stop trying to look for conspiracies everywhere.
I didn't say anything about a conspiracy. I was asking a question
so don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say.
Bishop Paul Andrew

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 05:40:37 PM »

There's also the question of "read somewhere" which might or might not be a reliable or accurate report, or a possibility of misremembering.ÂÂ  Not all information sources are created equal.ÂÂ  Wink

Ebor

If I ever find that iformation again I'll print it. but the information is ture
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 05:41:18 PM by Father Paul Andrew » Logged
Bishop Paul Andrew

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 05:53:22 PM »

This may be what you heard of.ÂÂ  If so, it predates Communism.

http://www.orthodox.or.kr/english/history.htm

No wrong information: all ready knew about the Orthodox Church in South korea
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 06:58:20 PM »

If I ever find that iformation again I'll print it. but the information is ture

The fact that READ the information and it was PRINTED somewhere may be true...but that does not mean the information that you READ was true.  It could have been someone elses conspiracy theor or fabrication.  Regardless, it doesn't really matter.  If there is a MP church there, it is probably as CRCulver explained.  Should we be skeptical about the EP's ties for setting up a church in Havana, Cuba? 
Bishop Paul Andrew

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 01:23:04 AM »

The fact that READ the information and it was PRINTED somewhere may be true...but that does not mean the information that you READ was true.ÂÂ  It could have been someone elses conspiracy theor or fabrication.ÂÂ  Regardless, it doesn't really matter.ÂÂ  If there is a MP church there, it is probably as CRCulver explained.ÂÂ  Should we be skeptical about the EP's ties for setting up a church in Havana, Cuba?ÂÂ  

Best way to find out is Ask Metropolitan Herman

As for EP and Cuba That is diffently the wrong place to put and Orthodox Church as well as North Korea
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 10:17:20 AM »

Best way to find out is Ask Metropolitan Herman

As for EP and Cuba That is diffently the wrong place to put and Orthodox Church as well as North Korea

Following this line of thinking, churches shouldn't have been set up in Rome under the Caesars.  After all, withholding the Gospel from people in order to protest their government is perfectly legitimate, if you buy the previous statement.  That mindset's apalling.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 09:26:38 AM »

The fact that READ the information and it was PRINTED somewhere may be true...but that does not mean the information that you READ was true.ÂÂ  It could have been someone elses conspiracy theor or fabrication.ÂÂ  

You beat me to this, Elisha.  Wink  Just saying something is true does not make it so.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 06:48:59 PM »

Many churches in North Korea are mock churches, for entertaining foreigners only. And they are filled with mock-parishioners and mock-pastors, playing roles that they were hired for by the state. It's supposed to show the world that North Korea has "religious tolerance." It's all lies, though. The only religion in North Korea is the cult of Kim Jong Il and his immortal father Kim Il Sung.

Supposedly, there are North Korean seminarians in Russia right now, being trained to be priests. It sounds like a sham to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they were agents of the state. I fear that the Orthodoxy they will propagate in North Korea will only be a mock Orthodoxy, a debauchery. It really scares an disturbs me when I think about the sacrilege that will happen in the Church-temple... Icons of Christ being venerated next to portraits of the "Great Leader."

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 09:15:57 PM »

I am very happy to hear of Orthodox churches being built now in North Korea and Cuba, just as I was to hear them being rebuilt after Stalin made his compromise with the Patriarch for support. Other posters made a good point about building churches in the pagan Roman empire was good. Likewise, I don't think we should fear that the EP is just a pawn of Turkey. Even if true, I am still happy if an EP church is built in another Muslim country.
Tags: Korea 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: