Author Topic: Website where I can find the Cyrillic text for the Troparia and Kondakia  (Read 153 times)

Offline Radost

I just started singing with the Russian choir for the Sunday Divine Liturgies.  I have the words in Cyrillic to most of the liturgy but not the Troparia and Kondakia.  I imagine there has to be a website where I could just click on the day and get the text for the Troparia and Kondakia for that day.  We go by the Julian calendar.  I learning little by little how to read and speak Russian and now beginning to read  Slavonic texts.  It's a little bit difficult for me to see the text on one sheet of paper where a whole crowd is hovering so it helps me vision-wise to read better if I can have the lyrics in my hand.  I would like to be able to sing the Troparia and Kondakia without this struggle.  Do you know any links on Russianwebsites where I can get these texts for each Sunday so I can look the words over ahead of time to practice.  A link in just Russian would be fine since I'm now at beginner intermediate level of Russian but a Russian English bilingual side by side would be even better.  I imagine someone here knows some good resources.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Sth different than my heart belongs to
But do you need the text in Slavonic Cyryllic letters or Russian Cyryllic letters?
Here you have it in Russian letters:
http://days.pravoslavie.ru/Days/20150506.html
There are hymns for each day, troparions and kontakions for lots of saints, so that's a great advantage, and it follows the old calendar so that's what you use at parish.

And another one, even with liturgical instructions:
http://azbyka.ru/days/

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Radost

Огромное спасибо Доминика.  Это точно что я искала и тепер я могу петь с хором когда они поют тропарию и кондакию!  Я должна была знать искать на тот вебсайт.   :) У того вебсайта все! снова большое спасибо.  Я очень хотела петь эти части Божественной Литургии.   :)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
Огромное спасибо Доминика.  Это точно что я искала и тепер я могу петь с хором когда они поют тропарию и кондакию!  Я должна была знать искать на тот вебсайт.   :) У того вебсайта все! снова большое спасибо.  Я очень хотела петь эти части Божественной Литургии.   :)
I don't speak Russian :P I've understood in some way that you thanked me as it's what you were looking for, no problem :) I'm interested in hymnography, and I study Church Slavonic at my parish, so I need such websites (for private use too). Anyway, I recommend you in some future to learn Church Slavonic letters, as it's (yeah, now for you it may sound paradoxically) easier to read it
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Radost

Hi Dominika
Yes, I was thanking you  ;)and letting you know this is exactly what I was looking for.  When they sing the Troparia and Kondakia in our Church some of those songs are just really beautiful and the best songs of the service.  So I'm happy I can start singing with everyone else.  There's even a paragraph in Russian each day giving information about the Saints in the Troparia and Kondakia so this is a great help. I should have known to look on these websites as they definitely have everything.  Our parish even puts a link up for the Pravoslavnie one. Yes, I'd like to learn Slavonic.  I'm sort of new to Orthodoxy and just beginning to get familiar with starting to read Slavonic.  If you know a website that lists the Troparia and Kondakia in Slavonic I'd be interested in that too so let me know.  I'm also hoping to find a Slavonic dictionary.

In any case I am sorry for the poor grammar in my post :-[.  I think I should have posted пока instead of the word когда. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:20:19 AM by Radost »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
Check this thread: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,51448.0.html

Texts in Church Slavonic letters:
http://www.orthlib.info/ (it has practically everthing)
http://azbyka.ru/bogosluzhenie/index.shtml (borth Slavonic and Russian letters, and translation into Russian)
http://liturgy.ru/content/bogosluzhebnye-knigi-na-tserkovno-slavyanskom-yazyke-v-formate-pdf

The list above contains only Russian source; as you probably know, pronunciation of Church Slavonic (not only some letters, but even accents and vowels) differs among various Slavs.

Offline Radost

You are right.  I'm looking closer at the  sources posted yesterday of the calendar websites and noticing they are in much more modern than how our Parish sings.  Much of our music and text does use Cyrillic Russian letters but still the pronounciation is always in Slavonic not modern Russian.  Can you tell me where in these most recent sources you just posted where I'd find the Troparia and Kondakia for each day on the calendar.  I'm trying to find pronunciation or Slavonic text that would match what our parish sings.  It would be so convenient to find one with a calendar similar to the first two sources you posted.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:48:42 AM by Radost »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
You are right.  I'm looking closer at the  sources posted yesterday of the calendar websites and noticing they are in much more modern than how our Parish sings. 
??
The websites days.pravoslavie.ru and azbyka.ru/days have the same pronunciation (if you know Church Slavonic a bit, you know how to read it; the pronunciaton depends above all on the reader, as usually the texts looks the same among Russians, Serbs, Bulgars etc. only in some cases some words are written differently, as I mentioned in the earlier post), they just don't have accents.

For the websites with Church Slavonic letters, you have to know liturgical books and how and when use them. They don't have separated troparions and kontakions, but the whole services and you have to find them in these books. E.g here you have menaion for each day (fixed feasts) www.orthlib.info/Menaia/Rjadovaja-Minea/Daily-Menaion.html. But probably just this one www.orthlib.info/Menaia/Festal_Menaion/Festal-Menaion.html is enough, as it has just mayor feasts (the greatest 12 plus some other importants). For Sundays you need it http://www.orthlib.info/Oktoikh/Oktoikh.html for Triodon this: http://www.orthlib.info/Triodion/Triod-Fasting.html and for Paschal cycle until the Sunday of the All Saints this : http://www.orthlib.info/Triod_Flowery/Triod-Flowery.html

Offline Radost

I'm very new to Church Slavonic.  It's like some of the texts we read from has only modern Russian letters and other texts have the Slavonic that writing that was used in churches before 1917.  I know basic Russian grammar.  From reading the pronunciation of liturgy I notice Slavonic grammar looks very different and with an extra case too...the vocative case....thanks for all the sources.  I'm sure it will help me with the Liturgy.  In the Divine Liturgy, do they normally sing EVERY Kondakia and Troparia on those lists or do they pick just a few out of the list?  Does it matter what specific order they're sung in?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
I'm very new to Church Slavonic.  It's like some of the texts we read from has only modern Russian letters and other texts have the Slavonic that writing that was used in churches before 1917.
It's not surprising. Very often (among all Slavs) the choir's parts are written in "modern" letters (Russian, Serbian, in Poland sometimes even not in Cyrillic, but in latin letters) and all the rest (so mainly priests' and readers' parts) in Church Slavonic letters, as usually musical notation goes along with modern letters.

In the Divine Liturgy, do they normally sing EVERY Kondakia and Troparia on those lists or do they pick just a few out of the list?
Haha, absolutely not, unless it's monastery or seminary (but even then not always; just imagine, if we commemorate sometimes 20 saints on one day, it would last definitely too long, especially that not every parish has hymnographic materials for many saints).

In Does it matter what specific order they're sung in?
1st is always the troparion of the feast that's from the 12 greatest ones (ofc if it's festal period of one of them), unless it's Sunday and it's not the 1st day of the feast, so it's 1st Sunday troparion and then to the feast. After festal/Sunday and then festal troparion if there is a commemoration of a great saint(s), the troparion for them is chanted. After it should be chanted troparion of the temple you're praying in, and then kontakion(s). For more precise rule you have to know typikon, but the vast majority of laypeople don't have idea about it (someitems, unfortunately, choir directors and priests including), so don't worry too much ;)