Author Topic: learning Church Slavonic  (Read 171 times)

Offline FinnJames

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
learning Church Slavonic
« on: February 02, 2016, 09:30:14 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestions for learning to understand and sing Church Slavonic? I have a copy of Archbishop Alypy's Grammar of the Church Slavonic Language, but it assumes much more knowledge than I have and isn't really a textbook/primer. Unfortunately, my Russian is minimal at best, and I know no other Slavic languages so can't fall back on them as a crutch.

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
Re: learning Church Slavonic
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 09:49:16 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestions for learning to understand and sing Church Slavonic? I have a copy of Archbishop Alypy's Grammar of the Church Slavonic Language, but it assumes much more knowledge than I have and isn't really a textbook/primer. Unfortunately, my Russian is minimal at best, and I know no other Slavic languages so can't fall back on them as a crutch.
When I studied Old Church Slavonic at university the prerequisite was two years of another Slavic languages.  However, in your case you just need to be able to read and sing it.  Do you know the  Russian Cyrillic  Alphabet?    If you do then that alone is helpful.  I remember that there is a small dictionary published by Holy Trinity ROCOR Monastery that has Church-Slavonic -English translation of the vocabulary you need for reading the Bible and the liturgy.  Also their short grammar with exercises is quite good.

Offline FinnJames

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 01:18:42 PM »
Thanks, Orest. It would be good to know what the words we're singing mean, so the dictionary sounds like just the right tool. I'll try to get a copy.

Offline Alpo

• Lying Chalcedonian Liar
  • Merarches
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »
You might be interested in this:

http://www.halla-aho.com/ocs/

It's an online manual for OCS downloadable for free. Sorry US folks, Finnish skills required.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 03:01:03 PM »
I don't know or read Finnish but page 10 is taken from the Holy Trinity ROCOR Monastery publication.  Also the format of the booklet is similar with examples from Scripture in Church Slavonic. 
What is missing is the section on abbreviations for key words and examples from common prayers in the liturgy.

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 03:05:22 PM »
There is this for free:
http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/ocsol-TC-R.html
What I don't like about it is that the Church Slavonic alphabet is not used for the examples.  You need to get used to the alphabet as soon as possible.  Also no dictionary.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 03:08:01 PM »
The author has doctorate-level grade on Slavistics. I don't think he had any need for plagiating anyone in order to write a short manual on OCS.  :P
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:08:43 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 03:14:43 PM »
The author has doctorate-level grade on Slavistics. I don't think he had any need for plagiating anyone in order to write a short manual on OCS.  :P
I was not suggesting that he plagiarized content merely that the font for the Church Slavonic Alphabet is the same one as in the ROCOR publication and laid out (format) on the page in the same manner.  On the whole the format of the booklet is the same with examples taken from scripture. 
I found an online dictionary for you:
http://ksana-k.narod.ru/b-small/gardiner_1984.pdf
Look under the section titled Glossary.  This section included most of the words you will need for scripture and liturgy.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 03:21:35 PM »
Fair enough.

Just googled the guy's dissertation out of curiosity. Oddly enough, it's about OCS too. A bit random considering that he's working as a Member of the European Parliament at the monent.

http://ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut/hum/slavi/vk/halla-aho/

Offline FinnJames

• Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 02:51:18 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for all the information.

According to his website, Jussi Halla-aho was a researcher and instructor (Fi. tuntiopettaja) of Old Church Slavonic in the department of Slavic and Baltic Languages at the University of Helsinki from 2000 to 2006.

According to encyclopedia articles, the Church Slavonic used in services today is a later development from Old Church Slavonic. Whether this should be understood as implying as big a difference as that between, say, the English of Chaucer and that of Tolkien or as small as that between the language of Dickens and that of J.K. Rowling, I can't say since I don't know either form of Slavonic.