OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:42:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Cafe  (Read 2061 times) Average Rating: 0
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« on: July 05, 2006, 12:24:10 AM »

From the Tennesseean.com

Saturday, 06/10/06

Cafe serves diners in ambiance of Eastern Orthodox Christianity

By RAY WADDLE

Opinion

Rarely have theology and lasagna been such allies.

One of Nashville's best kept gastro-spiritual secrets is a little cafe/bookshop near Vanderbilt. It offers the ambiance of Eastern Orthodox Christianity — calming ancient Russian hymns, walls of wooden icons — with a menu of sandwiches, hummus plates and espresso.

Alektor Cafe and Books, 1807 Grand Ave., is a ministry, not just a menu, tapping recent trends of interest in ancient liturgy and creeds.

The place is run by a soft-spoken Orthodox priest and his wife, who wanted to create a non-threatening entry point into Orthodoxy for people curious about the beauty and rigor of this ancient branch of the faith.

Their soft-sell approach has borne fruit. The Rev. Parthenios Turner and wife Marion Jessee Turner now lead a worshipping community of 50.

The St. John Chrysostom Greek Orthodox Mission meets at nearby Scarritt-Bennett Center's Laskey building (Sundays at 8:45 a.m. and 10 a.m.; Saturdays at 6 p.m.)

"People are looking for something authentic and rich," the priest says.

"In the Orthodox Church they find genuine continuity with the early church.

"Not just smells and bells — visual images, chanting, creeds, fasting. The experience spans the physical and spiritual."

The cafe retails icons, music and books of prayer and theology. "Father Parthenios" is a spiritual adviser but also one of the cooks.

"I try not to discuss theology while making sandwiches, or I'll make a mess of both."

Outside there's a painted sign of a rooster, "alektor" in Greek. In the New Testament, a rooster crowed after disciple Peter denied Jesus during Christ's ordeal of arrest and execution.

"The rooster symbolizes a double realization — that you've sinned, and that Jesus is the Son of God," says Marion Turner. "To me, it's a moment of grace."

The Turners met in California and came to Nashville (she's a native here) in the 1990s.

Alektor was located off Elliston Place before moving to Grand Avenue three years ago.

Store hours: Tues-Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Saturday noon-5 p.m.

Life is getting busy. Tomorrow (June 11) is Pentecost Sunday (Catholics and Protestants observed it last Sunday.)

The Clergy-Laity Congress of the Greek Orthodox Diocese of America comes to Opryland Resort & Convention Center July 15-21, drawing thousands.

The priest has a weekly radio show of sacred hymns 6-8 a.m. Wednesdays at 91.1 WRVU.

A sign near the cash register quotes Alektor's presiding spirit, ancient St. John Chrysostom (347-407): "Do not fear the conflict, do not flee it; where there is no struggle, there is no virtue. Where faith and love are not tempted, it is not possible to be sure whether they are really present. They are proved and revealed in adversity." •

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060610/NEWS06/606100366/1023/NEWS

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 04:16:26 PM »

I, I don't...know what to say!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 04:51:06 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9437.msg126808#msg126808 date=1152130586]
I, I don't...know what to say!
[/quote]
coooool...works for me.  Smiley

More seriously, I thought this could be owned by some former CSBers, but from the article it doesn't appear so.  Very interesting.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 07:17:49 PM »

Almost got to eat here with a friend who attends Vanderbilt, but came through town too early.   Sad  Hopefully it keeps on going!

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 09:50:25 PM »

coooool...works for me.ÂÂ  Smiley

More seriously, I thought this could be owned by some former CSBers, but from the article it doesn't appear so.ÂÂ  Very interesting.

Excuse my bad memory . . . but my meds have kicked in big time today . . . CSBers Huh
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 11:12:00 PM »

Excuse my bad memory . . . but my meds have kicked in big time today . . . CSBers Huh

Christ the Saviour Brotherhood...came from HOM (Holy Order of Mans).

http://www.orthodoxwiki.org/Holy_Order_of_MANS
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 11:45:19 PM »

Christ the Saviour Brotherhood...came from HOM (Holy Order of Mans).

http://www.orthodoxwiki.org/Holy_Order_of_MANS
Thanks!   Grin
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 09:39:44 AM »

Cafe serves diners in ambiance of Eastern Orthodox Christianity

This mission parish has been under His Eminence Metropolitan Nicholas of Detroit for some time. Here are some pictures from his visit to the parish last year. You can see what the bookstore and church look like.

http://www.detroit.goarch.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=stjohnchrysostom05

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags: bookstore 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: