Author Topic: Does anyone know stats?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Dismus

• Elder
Does anyone know stats?
« on: July 07, 2006, 07:45:34 PM »
Does anyone have figures to show how many RC converts stay Orthodox?
Or how many converts are RC?
Just wondering if I am in the minority for considering this move.
Thanks.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
Re: Does anyone know stats?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 07:53:19 PM »
Does anyone have figures to show how many RC converts stay Orthodox?
Or how many converts are RC?
Just wondering if I am in the minority for considering this move.
Thanks.

I have met many Orthodox who converted from Roman Catholicism.  I doubt there would be any stats though.  I'm sure there are more than a dozen at my parish alone.

Offline Sloga

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 08:30:48 PM »
Umm, if you search past threads in te convert section, I started a thread about how many convert to Orthodoxy. Someone posted a great website which I believe mentions more Catholics convert to Orthodoxy than vice versa...

Sloga
Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic

Offline drewmeister2

• Elder
  • Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 08:37:02 PM »
Umm, if you search past threads in te convert section, I started a thread about how many convert to Orthodoxy. Someone posted a great website which I believe mentions more Catholics convert to Orthodoxy than vice versa...

Sloga

Yes, I have heard of many, many people who have switched over from both the Latin and Eastern Rite of Catholicism to Orthodoxy, but rarely do I read about the reverse.
Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 12:53:16 AM »
Yes, I have heard of many, many people who have switched over from both the Latin and Eastern Rite of Catholicism to Orthodoxy, but rarely do I read about the reverse.

My own parish has lots of converts from the Latin rite, including our parish's new chanter. Also, since the local Eastern Rite church has closed its doors, those parishioners are coming to my parish or to the OCA parish in town.

However, let us also be fair and not triumphalistic: the reason there are so many Catholic converts in Orthodox churches is because there are so many Catholics in the general population to begin with.

If you have a bag of 300 marbles and 70 of them are red, then roughly 1 in 4 marbles you draw at random will be red. Similarly, the Convert polulation in Orthodox churches within the United States has a high proportion of ex-Roman Catholics.
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Sloga

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 01:10:14 AM »
My own parish has lots of converts from the Latin rite, including our parish's new chanter. Also, since the local Eastern Rite church has closed its doors, those parishioners are coming to my parish or to the OCA parish in town.

However, let us also be fair and not triumphalistic: the reason there are so many Catholic converts in Orthodox churches is because there are so many Catholics in the general population to begin with.

If you have a bag of 300 marbles and 70 of them are red, then roughly 1 in 4 marbles you draw at random will be red. Similarly, the Convert polulation in Orthodox churches within the United States has a high proportion of ex-Roman Catholics.

True, but I'm confident that the % of converts is still reflecting more catholics to orthodoxy than vice versa.
Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 01:25:14 AM »
True, but I'm confident that the % of converts is still reflecting more catholics to orthodoxy than vice versa.

That's exactly what I said. One reason we have more Catholic converts to Orthodoxy is because there are more Catholics in the world population as well as the US population.
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Dismus

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 03:16:31 AM »
The RC in me says there are more "heathens" out there than the both of us put together!!! :D

Offline Dismus

• Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 03:17:37 AM »
I hope you know I was kidding when I said that!!