OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 12:04:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is up with The Ziz?  (Read 1213 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« on: July 06, 2006, 08:48:58 AM »

http://digilander.libero.it/ortodossia/Zizioulas.htm

Controversial Metropolitan.  Is he in line for EP?

Roll Eyes
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:12:21 AM »

http://digilander.libero.it/ortodossia/Zizioulas.htm

Controversial Metropolitan.ÂÂ  Is he in line for EP?

Roll Eyes

He would make a good patriarch, though I don't believe he's a turkish citizen. The concerns of the author of the above article are clearly unfounded.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 09:21:27 AM »

Controversial Metropolitan.  Is he in line for EP?

Just remember the most important refrain when reading "information" on the Internet: Caveat lector! One important thing to do is look at the quality and biases of the author one is reading. This Italian site has a "Recommended Links" section in its Italian section, which includes links to romanity.org (Fr. John Romanides, et al.), the Patriarchate of Moscow, Fr. Serfes' site, and several other personal sites put together by some amateur historians. None of that is bad or wrong or not worth reading. Just worth noting.

Zizioulas' work is not above criticism, of course. It's not like he's infallible or all-knowing or perfect (who is?). For example, we talked about this on this recent thread: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=9369.msg126069#msg126069

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 10:25:13 AM »

Is he in line for EP?   

No, he's not.  Besides the fact that none of us think that he's a Turkish citizen, and we can bank that he hasn't done his Turkish military service, when I was in Istambul we met many of the most prominent bishops of the EP, and those we didn't meet were mentioned in various conversations with the EP himself or with other hierarchs.  He wasn't mentioned once, which isn't necessarily a snub (they do like him there at the Patriarchate), but it does mean that he's not a "mover and shaker" when it comes to the operation of the Patriarchate.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 01:33:31 PM »

Just reading this article you get the impression there is a bias simply from the choice of adjectives they use and the constant overemphasis that is repeated throughout.
I don't know anything about this man but if he were "guilty" of these things, it does not make sense to me. I mean, would he think he would be able to "reform" Orthodoxy? That won't happen.
Plus, as an aside, why would he not just go Roman?
I mean it sounds like maybe some people are condemming him and I always wonder when that happens if it is really something else they are upset about and just using this to bolster their position.
If he is a renegade, that is serious. But, I would guess that other "higher ups" are watching him and if he is in error, time will tell.
This has happened before has it not? I recall reading some stuff a while back, and they always get caught eventually? right?
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 01:54:47 PM »

I'm not liking The Ziz

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
DavidH
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 06:27:43 PM »

He would make a good patriarch, though I don't believe he's a turkish citizen. The concerns of the author of the above article are clearly unfounded.

Do you believe the concerns are unfounded because they misrepresent his true beliefs or that these are his beliefs and those beliefs are truly Orthodox?
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 07:31:27 PM »

Do you believe the concerns are unfounded because they misrepresent his true beliefs or that these are his beliefs and those beliefs are truly Orthodox?

Yes.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
DavidH
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 07:47:45 PM »

Yes.

Thank you, GiC, that's as clear as mud, and typically "Byzantine" (in the Gibbon's sense) as I could hope for. Could it also be Ciceronian, I wonder?
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 09:40:53 PM »

My feeling is that The Ziz does believe his own take on ecumenicalism and this is what worries more than a few church leaders.
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 10:13:29 PM »

"The Ziz"

Ziz
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The ziz is a giant bird in Jewish mythology, said to be large enough to be able to block out the sun with its wingspan; perhaps somewhat similar to a roc.

According to tradition, the meat of this bird will be served as a meal, along with the behemoth and the leviathan, in the banquet at End Times. The Persian Simurgh, which is arguably a fifth accompaniment to the Kar, the Khara, the Hadhayosh, and another bird, the Chamrosh, has been said to be equated by the rabbis with the ziz, their three future-meal giant animals corresponding to the archetypal creatures of Persian mythology. The trio of behemoth, leviathan and ziz was traditionally a favorite decoration motif for rabbis living in Germany.

Some say that the ziz was created to protect all of the class Aves and that if the ziz did not exist, all the smaller birds on Earth would be helpless and would have been killed.

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: