OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 03:47:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Karekin II  (Read 1499 times) Average Rating: 0
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« on: July 04, 2006, 12:02:28 AM »

Denouncement Against Karekin II
Published: 7/3/2006

ISTANBUL - Kemal Kerincsiz, chairman of the executive board of the Union of Jurists, denounced Karekin II, head of the Armenian Orthodox Church, to the Chief Prosecutor`s Office in Istanbul on Thursday on charges of denigrating Turkish people by claiming that Turks had committed genocide against Armenians.
In a petition he submitted to the Chief Prosecutor`s Office, Kerincsiz said that a public prosecution should be filed against Karekin II for denigrating Turkish people in accordance with Article 301/1 of the Turkish Penal Code.

Kerincsiz also requested the Chief Prosecutor`s Office to issue a warrant of arrest to detain Karekin II if he enters the country once again.

Karekin II paid a visit to Istanbul last week at invitation of Greek-Orthodox Patriarch Bartholomew I.

During a news conference at the Turkish-Armenian Patriarchate on June 25th, Karekin II said that it was impossible to find a solution as long as Turkey denied the so-called Armenian genocide.

Article 301/1 says that individual/s who openly denigrate/s Turkish people, Republic of Turkey or Turkish parliament is/are sentenced to prison from six months up to three years.

http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=131657

EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 12:17:11 AM »

May the Lord preserve His Holiness Karekin II from all false charges.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 01:15:51 AM »

Lovely.  They can persecute anyone as much as they want...to protest just warrants a jail sentence.  Maybe the USA should say that any (foreigners) who falsly accuses us of invading Iraq must be sentenced to 6 months in jail too.
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 01:31:12 AM »

Kemal Kerincsiz, and all the genocide deniers should face public prosecution themselves!

Many Years to His Holiness Karekin II, whom I had the honor of meeting last year.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 01:45:04 AM by Brigidsboy » Logged

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Sloga
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 01:37:54 AM »

Turkey....A country built on genocide. Need I say more?

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 01:48:28 AM »

Maybe the USA should say that any (foreigners) who falsly accuses us of invading Iraq must be sentenced to 6 months in jail too.

But we did . . . didn't we???
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 01:58:50 AM »

Turks... Angry Put on earth to test us.

The soviets spent decades trying to rewrite history...didn't work. Denial here won't either. I feel the need to fax their embassy tomorrow morn. Prayers for all Armenians.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 02:58:46 AM »

But we did . . . didn't we???

How dare you accuse the USA of invading!!!!  6 months in prison for you!!!   Grin
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 03:06:29 AM »

How dare you accuse the USA of invading!!!!  6 months in prison for you!!!  ÃƒÆ’‚ Grin

Thank you!  Which prison would you like me to report to Huh  But I can't go until after Independence Day, so I can celebrate my freedom. Grin
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 11:39:56 AM »

Why does some of the dialogue sound like it borders on Am-Pol?  Take it up in the Politics Board

As to the story - that's quite a law to have on the books.  That explains why the religious leaders over there are so careful with how they speak!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 11:40:18 AM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 02:03:08 AM »

The Turkish Law is bad, but the new law being debated in the US is far worse.  Global antisemitism is being equated here with 'domestic terrorism'.  That means NO criticism of the Talmud, the Jewish authorities at the time of Our Lord or anti-Israel.  It's going to get very heavy for us, especially during Holy Week with all those non-PC references in the services.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Tags: Turkish Republic Armenian Church persecution 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: