OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 07:06:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are You A Yankee or a Rebel  (Read 14289 times) Average Rating: 0
Colum597
INVICTUS MANEO!

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy God pleaser Columba, pray for us!

« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2006, 12:04:24 PM »

96% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?!

100% CRACKER & proud of it!

The War continues to be fought because conquered people have long memories.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 03:10:16 PM by Colum597 » Logged

"This life has been given to you for repentance, do not waste it in vain pursuits." 
St. Isaac of Syria
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2006, 09:02:42 AM »

TRY TAKING THE ADVANCED TEST:
http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest_advanced.html
It lowered my score to 15% Dixie from 30% in the regular test. My great-great grandfather fought under General Sherman.

In the following article, a priest from the Charleston area describes the Orthodox church:
http://www.oca.org/CHRIST-life-article.asp?SID=6&ID=63&MONTH=July&YEAR=2004

In part, he writes: "Approximately 4 million Orthodox live in the United States, concentrated primarily in the Northeast, Midwest and California." Is this a nice way of saying, "Orthodox primarily live in every region of the US but the south?"

Did you know, that in the Civil War, Russia was America's closest ally? That's right- Britain and France liked trading with the South for cotton, and were wary of America's economic success. Russia, on the other hand, was embroiled in the Crimean War with those two countries. Abolitionists in America had a good opinion of Russia at the time for abolishing serfdom a few years earlier. For both political similarities and strategic reasons, the Civil War was a time of one of the closest friendships between America and the largest Orthodox country at the time- Russia.

General Turchin was a famous Russian officer who fought for the Union army. Later, he founded a colony of Russian and Polish immigrants in Illinois.

Also, in part to free their navy from the dangers of the Crimean War, Russia sent ships to protect New York's harbor- freeing up more Northern ships to blockade the Confederacy. The Russian Navy also went to San Francisco.

See:
Friends in Peace and War: The Russian Navy's Landmark Visit to Civil War San Francisco (Military Controversies S.) 
C. Douglas Kroll

Later, the friendship between Lincoln's administration and Russia facilitated the purchase of Alaska.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 09:05:32 AM by rakovsky » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2006, 09:50:15 AM »

When I took the advanced test: 19% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!  That's 7% lower than the regular test.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2006, 10:21:41 AM »

I guess the assimilation to Alabama is now complete:

100% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2006, 11:16:37 AM »

13% Dixie on the Advanced test.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2006, 01:45:38 PM »

Well kick the cat and spit in the fire!!!!!

94% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?!
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2006, 03:18:59 PM »

I loved one of the options on the last multiple choice-
"what is insurance"?
 Cheesy
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2006, 12:18:40 AM »

71% Dixie.  Your neck must be a little pink!

No Change from the last score.

And my answers again reflected not only my speech, but the speech that is common where I grew up in Northern California; that we're rednecks I have no doubt, but southern? Well, we did have our own secession movement back in the 40's, but it was screwed up when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbour...oh well, maybe next time, we're technically still in a state of war with Oregon, California and Japan Grin

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2006, 01:17:23 PM »

44% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom. 
I guess living in Virginia for 4 years rubbed off.  :-D  A lot of my speech though apparently is from the New England area, not from upstate NY where I grew up... also, one of the questions, about the pronunciation of caramel, none of the answers fit... where I come from, its pronounced "CARE-a-mel."

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2006, 02:59:04 PM »

where I come from, its pronounced "CARE-a-mel."

Oooh, that's definately from Boston. I'm so sorry....

When I worked at The Coffeeshop That Shall Not Be Named while in Boston, people would poke fun at me since I pronouned caramel the way everyone else in southern Ohio does: 'CAH-mle'

Well, politically correct Bostonians would take pleasure in correcting country boy Chris until I pointed out their inconsistency with this:

"If y'all 'pahk your cahs in Hahvahd Yahd', then why do you suddenly say out the R in CARE-e-mel?"

That'd make them stop to think about it, I tell you what!ÂÂ  Wink
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 02:59:34 PM by chris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2006, 04:25:37 PM »

Well, awl be dad-gum...mine went up!

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2006, 05:16:32 PM »

Hey, whadaya guys have against Boston?  It's a wicked cool city.  :-P  Particularly since most of mi familia resides around it.  It's got wicked good chowda, and the people drive their cahs wicked fast, and they've got a zillion Dunkin Donuts, bubblas, lotsa wicked good bahs, (none of them Cheers), they drink frappes, drive to the Cape, and get called "massholes" by anyone else from New England but not from Massachusetts. 

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2006, 06:08:16 PM »

ÂÂ  It's got wicked good chowda, and the people drive their cahs wicked fast, and they've got a zillion Dunkin Donuts, bubblas, lotsa wicked good bahs, (none of them Cheers), they drink frappes, drive to the Cape, and get called "massholes" by anyone else from New England but not from Massachusetts.ÂÂ  

Chowder is something I detest, and everything else you list is reason enough for me to resent Boston.

I've said this before---on my last trip out of MA, I stopped immediately after I crossed the CT line. I then shook the MA dust off my shoes, spat on the MA soil, and solemnly vowed that I will never set foot in Boston ever again (stopovers at Logan Airport don't count).

And that's just the way it is

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2006, 03:15:08 PM »

your loss my friend, leaving more of the wonderful city of boston for the rest of us.  :-D

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2006, 03:23:50 PM »

your loss my friend, leaving more of the wonderful city of boston for the rest of us.ÂÂ  :-D

That is just so wrong, sick, and demented on so many levels. We can only pray that one day, by the grace of God, or the Russian nuclear arsenal, or perhaps a good will trade agreement with Canada for the Western Provinces Wink, the details dont really concern me, our country will no longer be plagued by the presence of such cities as Boston. We can only hope and pray Grin

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2006, 03:44:10 PM »

our country will no longer be plagued by the presence of such cities as Boston. We can only hope and pray Grin

"For deliverance from all affliction, such as the city of Boston being within our nation's borders, let us pray to the Lord"

blazhenny

« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2006, 07:05:43 PM »

I am a total Yankee, and proud. For me, the center of the universe is Columbus Circle, Isle of Manhattan, City of New York. Permit me to say that I have been to Boston many times -- it is a wonderful city. As for Rebel Territory, I love the Chesapeake Bay region of Maryland, and am very fond of Maryland as a whole, including Baltimore, which gets a bad rap from a lot of people. I love to visit Charleston, S.C., one of the most beautiful little cities in the entire country, and I once spent a couple of weeks in Augusta, Ga., a very charming town. I've been to Atlanta a number of times; I'm not impressed. Austin, Texas, is a wonderful town but more West than Dixie IMO. That just about exhausts my experience of the South.

IC XC NIKA
Princeps

« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2006, 12:45:21 AM »

"For deliverance from all affliction, such as the city of Boston being within our nation's borders, let us pray to the Lord"

I literally laughed out loud on that one. Cheesy

I didn't take the test but I'm definitely Rebel by choice.  Nobody ever really talks about the fact that 25% of all the slaves in America died from the horrible conditions in the Union Army camps they fled to.  Add all the abrogations of the Constitution, the forced breakdown of race relations in the South and the destruction of federalism into the mix, and it comes out looking pretty much like the Union was a pack of bad guys.

Besides, Jesse James is in the family history. Wink
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2006, 10:20:52 PM »

Yankee by birth . . . Rebel by marriage.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2012, 10:00:49 PM »

"34% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee"

D*mn straight!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2012, 12:18:07 AM »

Well, shut mah mouth!  Ah reckin they's no suhprahz thay-uh...

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2012, 02:31:20 AM »

57%

Makes sense, live in the Midwest, grew up split between one side of my family which are all lawyers and such. The other half are everyday folks. I lived in a rural city and along with my friends, had strong hick tendencies with accents, dress choice in music, etc...

Ironically coming to the southern half of the state has changed my speech, but I dropped the hick accent, the boots and the music. Now I say y'all casually, but listen to rock.

My ancestor probably fought in the Civil War on the Rebel side, and I grew up in an area that hates Kansas and loves to celebrate Jesse James. I loved Civil War history and took great pride in he heritage of the area. I feel a strange connection to the Rebel Flag, yet I also think some things like MO/KS Hatred is rediculous and holding 150 year old grudges is a bit crazy.

So that analysis makes sense, I'm torn...

BTW, it's pronounced Missourah, not Misery...
Babalon
Resident Occultist

Faith: Gnosis
Jurisdiction: A.'.A.'.

I am everywhere the centre.

« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2012, 03:12:35 AM »

55% Dixie.

Damn son.

...and to think I was raised in Orange County, CA by a pack of Atheists.  Shocked Huh

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2012, 07:17:48 AM »

I'm a yankee.
This is actually weird, since I live in the danish version of Texas.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2012, 11:56:13 AM »

50% Dixie.  There's a reason I'm a Copperhead and not a Reb.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2012, 12:51:26 PM »

24% Dixie. What?  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2012, 02:35:04 PM »

18% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!

Or in my case, FOBdom

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »

Interesting test.  I scored 28% Dixie and it said I was a Yankee.  LOL  I was born in Augusta, Georgia and lived most of my life in the Carolinas.  But I have traveled extensively and did live up North for three years.  My mother was from Michigan and my Dad was from North Carolina. The reason I think I scored so "Northern" on the test was that the area of the South that I grew up in had a LOT of transplants from all over the United States and even several foreign countries, esp. Germany, Switzerland, Britain and France.  Michelin, BWM and several German and Swiss textile companies were the major employers in my town. So I just got used to meeting people from all over from a very young age.  Plus, we weren't raised to think of ourselves as "Southerners" really. The South was were we lived. We primarily thought of ourselves as just Americans.  I did have some distance relatives from North Carolina that fought for the Confederacy about 150 or so years ago.  However, nobody in the family attached any importance to that. We simply thought they did what they did because they were North Carolinians and when their state called them to serve, they did. My family never got into living vicariously through our Confederate ancestors, nor have we let that define who we are.  I think we were always much more proud of my great (x6) grandfather who fought in the Revolutionary War and my Dad and my many uncles who proudly fought in the Second World War. One uncle of mine actually fought on D Day in France and my father fought in the Battle of the Bulge in the Ardennes.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2012, 03:17:26 PM »

48% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2012, 07:42:25 PM »

It's interesting that they chose slang terms as the barometer.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »

35% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee. laugh
advance test I got 63% Dixie.  Well under the Mason-Dixon Line Shocked
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:59:45 PM by jewish voice » Logged
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »

52% Dixie. Barely in Dixie

I could drive over a bridge in town out of Kentucky and into Indiana, so yep. Tongue

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
christian7777
Elder

« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2012, 09:11:35 PM »

1% Dixie. Need help digging out of the snow? Smiley
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:19:30 PM by christian7777 » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2012, 09:14:47 PM »

BTW, it's pronounced Missourah, not Misery...

People I've met from Missouri pronounce it "misery." Perhaps they are being ironic.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »

73% Dixie.  Your neck must be a just little rosy!

Which is funny because I'm from Wisconsin.

Several of the words on the test have no real regional bias, anymore at least. I grew up using many of them interchangeably.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Bigsinner
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA  (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2012, 06:25:51 PM »

38% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.

But my father was from Southern Greece.    Smiley

I just took the advanced test:  8% Dixie. Need help digging out of the snow?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:44:18 PM by Bigsinner » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2012, 11:34:20 PM »

If I answer as I spoke as a kid, I am thoroughly Southern.

Nowdays it's a mixture of South and Midwest. More of one than the other depending on who I am speaking with.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »

Haha,

This is a real score, no cheat'n

100% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?!
Wow, 100% Dixie on the advanced test too!

The funniest thing is, my wife is a direct descendant of Robert E. Lee.   Her Grandparents have his set of dishes.  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:24:08 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »

66% Dixie

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2012, 11:55:10 PM »

30% Dixie.  Too low, methinks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2012, 12:16:01 AM »

If I answer as I spoke as a kid, I am thoroughly Southern.

Nowdays it's a mixture of South and Midwest. More of one than the other depending on who I am speaking with.

The one time we spoke, I didn't detect a lick of a drawl or twang.  Your voice was lower than I expected and you seemed to enunciate a lot.  You could probably earn a decent living doing voice overs.  I did think it was odd in a funny way that the first thing you said wasn't 'hello' or some sort of greeting, but something like, "OK now, you must live further south than me." 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2012, 01:14:56 AM »

Where do you put Copperheads?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2012, 03:41:00 AM »

83% Dixie.

Glad I scored so well! Of course I prefer the term "South" to "Dixie".

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2012, 03:53:35 AM »

8% Dixie--what does that mean?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2012, 04:09:50 AM »

45% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

I attribute this to my summers spent on the family farm in the California Central Valley.  Rural folks is rural folks.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:10:35 AM by Agia Marina » Logged

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: