OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 10:35:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are You A Yankee or a Rebel  (Read 13395 times) Average Rating: 0
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2006, 08:29:59 PM »

Since when is slavery a matter of states' rights?

It was a states rights issue prior to Congress being given the authority to interfere in the institution by the Constitution prior to the 13th Amendment, ever read the 10th Amendment??? Roll Eyes

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2006, 08:37:36 PM »

28% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Since I dont live in USA, can someone tell me what this means? Huh

A mocking name for a coward (one of several theories on the origin of the term 'yankee') who is vain and of dubious sexual orientation (that would be the dandy part). Grin

Well in that case...Proud to be Yankee !ÂÂ  Grin Grin Grin

But what about the dandy part Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2006, 09:19:15 PM »

73% Dixie even though I was born in the West!
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2006, 09:45:39 PM »

Well in that case...Proud to be Yankee !

Ако помажеш ми учити твој језик, могу поучавати Ñ‚e говорити као "јejнки".  Wink  I wonder if any of that made any sense at all, as I am having a very frustrating time with Serbocroatian class at school. 

Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2006, 10:51:24 PM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9385.msg126173#msg126173 date=1151631939]
Ако помажеш ми учити твој језик, могу поучавати Ñ‚e говорити као "јejнки".ÂÂ  WinkÂÂ  I wonder if any of that made any sense at all, as I am having a very frustrating time with Serbocroatian class at school.ÂÂ  

[/quote]

It's all Greek to me! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2006, 01:00:45 AM »

Quote from: Landon77 on Yesterday at 04:30:12 PM
The War of Northern Aggression was the old states' rights issue. 

Since when is slavery a matter of states' rights?

Quote from: Landon77 on Yesterday at 04:30:12 PM
The root of the problem were the cultural differences, that we still have to this day.

Would racism be one of them?

Just for the record, yes there is racisim in the south.  However, in my experience, most Southerners are embarissed of this, much like the Germans are of the holocaust.  And just before you are quick to cast stones, your people are not off scott-free.  In my time, in New York, New England, the Great Lakes and North, I have just seen just as much racisim.  Not just between blacks and whites but between any ethnic groups.  The prejudice is often even more blunt, too.  Historically wise, this has often been the case.  Read a good history book, not just a trypical one by any side, and you'll see lynchings, arguments for slavery, etc. among Northerners too.  It's something guilty of man, not just one reigion in the world.  Besides, northern food is aweful.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2006, 01:02:24 AM »

I still remember when I was out backpacking once in Arkansas and I asked a ranger which way to the campsite.  His response, "Well, y'all just go right down there yonder and take a left."

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2006, 01:07:23 AM »

100% DIXIE.  CAN'T BE BORN AND BRED IN TEXAS AND NOT BE. Y'ALL!

THOMAS

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2006, 04:14:11 AM »

I fail to understand how people can be proud of being from the South, even to the point of denying the inherent moral superiority of the North in the Civil War.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2006, 07:30:11 AM »

Inherent moral superiority?  Both sides had their problems (i.e. POW camps on both sides, etc.).  Anyway, I wouldn't engage GiC in an argument on the Civil War - he is the kind of person who would engage in a defense of slavery not because he particularly liked it, but just because he can...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2006, 07:37:20 AM »

Oh, here we go, y'all...

"83% Dixie.  Do you still use Confederate money?"

Not quite where my fellow Texans are, to mah shame...prolly due to a Yankee mama (I DARES y'all tah say suh-m!  Wink).

I fail to understand how people can be proud of being from the South, even to the point of denying the inherent moral superiority of the North in the Civil War.

This is rich.  Any of y'all ever see "Gangs of New York"?  You wanna tell me that the Yanks were some sort of egalitarian, liberal-minded, emancipation-crazed bunch as a whole?

Please.  Lincoln himself was well known for saying that his main objective for invading the South (and putting an end to her constitutional right to secede from a trecherous Union) was to preserve the Union.  Period.  He said if he could do that by freeing all slaves, he'd do it.  And if he could do it by leaving all slaves in bondage, he'd do it that way, too.  The Emancipation Proclamation was not only worthless, but (I think GiC would agree) one of the biggest propaganda pieces ever.

Point out the fact that the South was what it was because its great economy was built on the backs of enslaved fellow human beings, and without that they wouldn't have had the means (or the economic incentive) to secede in the first place.

Point out the glaring irony that the Confederates (my ancestors; may their memories all be eternal) demanded their right to self-governance, while all the while they denied that same exact right to an entire race of people.

But for cryin' out loud, Billy Boy: Don't point to the Union as some morally superior nation:

• They ditched their own Constitution to invade a confederacy of states that had every right to leave; the only thing holding our country together is the will of every individual state to stay there.
  • They cared not a whit as a whole about the black man, save abolitionists, since their laws, along with those of the South, denied blacks the right to vote and other civil liberties; ever see the movie "Glory"? (Blacks fought in the Rebel forces, too, btw; Gen. Robert E. Lee was in favor of emancipation through military service).
  • They ruthlessly and cruelly DE-constructed the South, pouring salt into wounds still felt in parts of Dixie to this day.

Both sides fought with relative indifference to the black man, which, yes, is pathetic.  That war was nothing more than an economic tug-of-war by the white portions of two nations that the North won through sheer numbers and better industry.  That slavery was ended by a Union victory does not justify the North's invasion; if the CSA had wanted to be recognized by Britain and/or France (a must-have recognition for sovreignty in those days), they would have had to have enacted gradual emancipation almost immediately anyway.

I won't offer any defense of slavery; as a southerner, I consider it a shameful blight on the South's history.  But someone please tell me how forcing men to give up their slaves at the point of a gun is going to make them any nicer towards said freedmen once the dust settles...had they been able to determine for themselves how to do this (a situation which would still be wrong, yes, but we're dealing with an imperfect world and the lesser of two evils), race relations in the South may have taken an entirely different path...

For more reading, see this speech, given by the last Confederate congressman to repose, which I'm proud to way was given in my current place of residence.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2006, 08:38:37 AM »

And just to FURTHER complicate matter regarding slavery and the Civil War (or War Between the States, or whatever you want to call it) consider this: What about all the pro-Union SOUTHERNERS? They existed, you know. Even in the state that started the rebellion, South Carolina (my home state), the northern part of my county (Greenville county) was pro-union, while the city of Greenville and the southern part of the county were pro-Confederate. Large numbers of people in western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee (the Knoxville, TN to Asheville, NC area) were also pro-Union. For an eye-opening perspective, go to Milledgeville, Georgia and visit the Civil War cemetary, and see the HUNDREDS of graves of the Tennesse UNIONISTS (who were as Southern as grits, but fought alongside with the Yankees). And while we are discusssing this, let us not forget the pro-Confederate people in the Union states (mostly the Midwest). Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio were full of Confederate sympathizers who were called "Copperheads" by the Unionists. 
     My point in all this is that the real Civil War was more complex and nuanced than anyone today wants to admit.
Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2006, 08:53:57 AM »

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ My point in all this is that the real Civil War was more complex and nuanced than anyone today wants to admit.
ÂÂ  I agree.

ÂÂ  And on the topic of racism: It comes more from fear more than anything else.ÂÂ  In August I'm planning to go to S. Korea to Teach ESL.ÂÂ  I'm told that I will face racism head on because the Koreans don't see non-Koreans as being truly human.ÂÂ  Sound famfailure? That doesn't mean that I should define the S. Korean culture by this one shortcoming.ÂÂ  It is something, that in time, God willing, will be put away and become a part of the embarrassing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 08:56:26 AM by Landon77 » Logged

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2006, 09:29:50 AM »

Who can forget the picture of Arch bishop Iakovos on the cover of Time magazine. His march with Martin Luther King in support of freedom. (The civil war really didn't free the blacks from discrimination) The Greek Orthodox Know all to well what it feels like to be enslaved for 400 years. No culture or race should ever have to endore that.
  One must fight there way out as the Greeks did or wait for help from others. People are not just freed without some kind of force or intervention. By God or others. The Greeks waited and waited for the west to intervene. But the west was only interested in oppressing Orthodoxy. That is one of the main reasons, If not the reason why Catholicism has a larger following in the world today. History books don't always tell us the truth. And for those of you that think that the Greeks were the wrong people to carry the word of god. All I have to say is that ignorance is bliss.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2006, 09:42:31 AM »

My point in all this is that the real Civil War was more complex and nuanced than anyone today wants to admit.

Absolutely.  My wife's from Kentucky; that state was split pretty much down the middle, as was Missouri!

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2006, 10:51:41 AM »

Absolutely.ÂÂ  My wife's from Kentucky; that state was split pretty much down the middle, as was Missouri!

My family is from Kentucky and Missouri and fought for both sides, including in both Armies of (the) Tennessee; this is to be compared with those of my relatives that lived in Eastern Kentucky who simply fought both sides. lol
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 10:52:33 AM by greekischristian » Logged

Sloga
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2006, 11:48:32 AM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9385.msg126173#msg126173 date=1151631939]
Ако помажеш ми учити твој језик, могу поучавати Ñ‚e говорити као "јejнки".ÂÂ  WinkÂÂ  

[/quote]

Може, ако имаш неко питање, питај преко ПМа  Smiley

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2006, 12:30:20 PM »

No one seems to want to realized that Northerners has slaves as well and the North didn't hold blacks in any higher regard in general.  They just tried for a morally superior stance and had the $$ to back up their agenda.  If the south succeeded in suceeding, it would harm the north's bottom line.  Mankind is mankind.  Finding ways to elevate one's self above another "inferior" person is still a viable and foul pastime.  How many women in offices do this, how many men think women are just objects, lots of african americans thinking whites are out to get them, how many whites thinking blacks are stupid and lazy, etc....
Where I was born and raised in N california, racism is just as prevalent. But it's towards Mexicans and native Americans.  They have a high poplulation of Paiute indians there and everyone likes to look down on them as inferior.  When moved to VA, i had really never seen a black person! (hey I was 7)  And there aren't many native americans around this area, save the Monacan tribe.  It is unfortunate that mankind finds ways to elevate himself above others, or other people groups-but its done everywhere.  It's just that during the Civil war it was in grotesquely obvious proportions.  It certainly hasn't gone away.
But at least here in Dixie, we have folks that are serious students of the true reasons for the Civil War and will educate the young in these regards-cut they ain't learnin it in skool.  My respect to those of you on here that have studied your history in depth!
BJohnD

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2006, 12:32:40 PM »

My family is from Kentucky and Missouri and fought for both sides, including in both Armies of (the) Tennessee; this is to be compared with those of my relatives that lived in Eastern Kentucky who simply fought both sides. lol

I'm a Marylander, but a Yankee at heart, which is not so strange as it may seem (Maryland's northern border is the Mason-Dixon line).  DC (and its surrounding suburbs) is very cosmopolitan and quite different today from the "sleepy southern town" it was just a couple of generations ago. 

Maryland was fractured, too.  It was a slave state (Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass both grew up on plantations on MD's Eastern Shore).  Lincoln had to resort to some pretty neat tricks to keep the ironically nicknamed "Free State" (it was originally founded as a Catholic haven) from joining the Confederacy and, thus, having his Nation's Capital surrounded by Confederate territory.  If you go to any Civil War battlefield in the East (Antietam comes to mind), you will find monuments to both Union and Confederate Maryland regiments.

As for the war, slavery, et al., I think Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address said it all: 

"Both [sides] read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not be answered. That of neither has been answered fully. The Almighty has His own purposes. 'Woe unto the world because of offenses; for it must needs be that offenses come, but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh.' If we shall suppose that American slavery is one of those offenses which, in the providence of God, must needs come, but which, having continued through His appointed time, He now wills to remove, and that He gives to both North and South this terrible war as the woe due to those by whom the offense came, shall we discern therein any departure from those divine attributes which the believers in a living God always ascribe to Him? Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said 'the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.'

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2006, 12:42:15 PM »

As an Orthodox Southerner, I've always wondered if there were any Orthodox in the Confederate forces. I have heard that the first Orthodox church in the lower 48 was in New Smyrna, Florida, and was founded by Greek colonists in the 18th Century. Perhaps there were Orthodox in Florida during the War of Northern Aggression. Any info would be appreciated.

Don't know about Orthodox in CSA forces but first Greek Orthodox Church was established in New Orleans in mid 1860s. The New Smyrna colony (1768) south of St Augustine may have been Greeks but they all, with the exception of ONE family, essentially became Roman Catholics worshipping with the only clergy that the colony's sponsor provided (he had promised a Greek Orthodox priest , but never delivered - pretty characteristic of his whole style).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2006, 12:56:19 PM »

Maryland was fractured, too.ÂÂ  It was a slave state (Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass both grew up on plantations on MD's Eastern Shore).ÂÂ  Lincoln had to resort to some pretty neat tricks to keep the ironically nicknamed "Free State" (it was originally founded as a Catholic haven) from joining the Confederacy and, thus, having his Nation's Capital surrounded by Confederate territory.

'Neat Tricks' you mean an unconstitutional of Maryland's elected government, and crimes against the writ of habeas corpus that would eventually be condemned by the Supreme Court. Lincoln used 'pretty neat tricks' to keep Maryland in the Union in the same way Hitler used some 'pretty neat tricks' during the occupation of France.

If you go to any Civil War battlefield in the East (Antietam comes to mind), you will find monuments to both Union and Confederate Maryland regiments.

Sharpsburg is a beautiful place and well preserved battlefield, I can spend many an hour looking out across the field from Bloody Lane. But of particular interest for Maryland's role in the War for Southern Independence is the battle of Front Royal during the Valley Campaign of '62 (it's at the Bottom of the Valley, not far from Winchester, if you live in Maryland and want to make a day trip out of it), which was primarily fought between two Maryland Regiments; the Union Regiment, though they fought well, had the misfortune of being under the command of Commissary Banks and thus were caught outnumbered and surprised by Jackson's Valley Army, with their Maryland Regiment serving as the Advanced Guard.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 12:59:40 PM by greekischristian » Logged

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2006, 01:03:53 PM »

As an Orthodox Southerner, I've always wondered if there were any Orthodox in the Confederate forces. I have heard that the first Orthodox church in the lower 48 was in New Smyrna, Florida, and was founded by Greek colonists in the 18th Century. Perhaps there were Orthodox in Florida during the War of Northern Aggression. Any info would be appreciated.

New Smyrna possibly had a priest, but never a real Church (the colony failed, ya know). The first successful Greek settlement, including a (still-running) Greek Orthodox parish and a Greek consulate, was in New Orleans. The Church has been around since the 1860s.

I think chris might know something about Greek involvement in the Civil War. If not, I'll ask my wife. I seem to remember that there was at least one company of Greek soldiers in the Confederate army. There were around 10,000 Greeks in the U.S. (largely in the South) by the start of the War, so it only stands to reason.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2006, 01:13:56 PM »

81% Dixie.  Do you still use Confederate money?

Which is about right.  I've lived in the South all my life except for 5 years in Maryland (when I was a youngin'). I guess that, plus that fact I grew up in suburban Atlanta, accounts for my 19% non-Dixie speech.  Grin

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
BJohnD

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2006, 02:33:23 PM »

'Neat Tricks' you mean an unconstitutional of Maryland's elected government, and crimes against the writ of habeas corpus that would eventually be condemned by the Supreme Court. Lincoln used 'pretty neat tricks' to keep Maryland in the Union in the same way Hitler used some 'pretty neat tricks' during the occupation of France.

Oh, please, not the Hitler Argument!  The Last Refuge of the Debater.  Yes, Lincoln locked up the MD legislature.  Yes, he suspended habeas corpus (permitted by Article I, Sec. 9, cl. 2 of the Constitution in "Cases of Rebellion," though I'll grant that it's Congress' prerogative, not POTUS').  Yes, he led the Union in an "invasion" of the Confederacy (don't forget Lee's two invasions of Federal territory -- three if you count Jubal Early's run into MD in 1864!).  But for heaven's sake don't compare that to Hitler's genocidal war of conquest in the name of an allegedly superior "race" that nearly wiped out Western Civ at the cost of 50 million lives!!!  The comparison doesn't wash.

I lived in Maryland for 36 years, but I'm now happily ensconced in California.  The Golden State has its own problems, God knows, but at least re-fighting the Civil War isn't one of them!  Roll Eyes
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2006, 02:50:29 PM »

I lived in Maryland for 36 years, but I'm now happily ensconced in California.  The Golden State has its own problems, God knows, but at least re-fighting the Civil War isn't one of them!  Roll Eyes

At my very northern alma mater, which basically shut down during the War because all of the male students volunteered for the Union Army (abolitionist Protestants, ya know), every single meeting of the Student Fed during my tenure would end the same way. Near the conclusion of public remarks, a southerner would stand up and say: "Mr. Chairman, may the record show that the South shall rise again."

And indeed the record did so show. (Mr. X announced that the South shall rise again) Couldn't pass last week's minutes without it.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2006, 03:19:37 PM »

Oh, please, not the Hitler Argument!ÂÂ  The Last Refuge of the Debater. Yes, Lincoln locked up the MD legislature.ÂÂ  Yes, he suspended habeas corpus (permitted by Article I, Sec. 9, cl. 2 of the Constitution in "Cases of Rebellion," though I'll grant that it's Congress' prerogative, not POTUS').ÂÂ  Yes, he led the Union in an "invasion" of the Confederacy (don't forget Lee's two invasions of Federal territory -- three if you count Jubal Early's run into MD in 1864!).ÂÂ  But for heaven's sake don't compare that to Hitler's genocidal war of conquest in the name of an allegedly superior "race" that nearly wiped out Western Civ at the cost of 50 million lives!!!ÂÂ  The comparison doesn't wash.

The difference is that when I make the hitler comparison I don't always mean it in a negative manner. First of all, WWII was over territorial expansion, not over genocide, the genocide was a side show. Quite comprable to the War Between the States, Lincoln was fighting for territorial expansion; this isn't a bad thing per se many, dare I way most, wars throughout history were fought for this very reason; perhaps it isn't as noble as 'honour, liberty, and self-determination,' but it's still a valid reason to fight a war. While I despise Lincoln, Grant, Sherman, Sheridan, Pope, Butler, etc. as people; I wouldn't go so far as to say war criminals, I don't really believe that there are crimes in war, only victory and defeat. The North won the war, true they started out with superior resources in an era where wars were won by attrition, but some credit must go to those who knew how to at least not lose (which is all a country with superior resources needed to do in Napoleonic war). I will give credit where credit is due (which is not to Pope or Butler no matter how you analyze the situation), I dont care how bad of a person you are, if you're a competent military commander, you diserve credit for that. Thus I give Hitler praise for his Economic reforms of the 30's, I give Lincoln credit for winning the war, I give Stalin credit for turning Russia into a Superpower.

Now where I disagree with Hitler, Lincoln, and Stalin is on issues of values, I tend to support liberty and self-determination thus I believe them to be competent men who put their talents towards evil rather than good, but that's only my personal opinion, a subjective assessment. Thus, while my personal values will never allow me to side with the causes of these three men, to compare one to them is not always an insult. An excellent example is though I disagree with the personal values of Joseph Göbbels, as a rhetorician is is the equal of Cicero, yet more relevant to our society and culture; thus I have been known to read him religiously and offer him the praise that is due to such great talent.

Oh, and it should be noted that considering the way the elected government of Maryland was treated, any movement into Maryland can not be regarded as an invasion, but rather as an attempt to liberate an occupied state. The only true invasion was in '63, which was both conducted within the guidelines of the traditional rules of war (which protect civilians and their property) and more than justified by the attrocities that had been committed by Union Armies in Northern Virginia the previous year.

I lived in Maryland for 36 years, but I'm now happily ensconced in California.ÂÂ  The Golden State has its own problems, God knows, but at least re-fighting the Civil War isn't one of them!ÂÂ  Roll Eyes

I'm a born and raised native of California Grin

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2006, 03:36:40 PM »

43% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

Thats interesting.....

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »

"Mr. Chairman, may the record show that the South shall rise again."

AND IT WILL!!!
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2006, 05:31:51 PM »

AND IT WILL!!!

Much as I'd identify with a distinctly Southern nation, and as much as I recognize the CSA's right to secede as it existed in 1861, why and how, pray tell, will or should this happen?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 05:32:13 PM by Pedro » Logged

Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2006, 05:36:10 PM »

Much as I'd identify with a distinctly Southern nation, and as much as I recognize the CSA's right to secede as it existed in 1861, why and how, pray tell, will or should this happen?

Stay Tuned.  All my southern in-laws say it's coming.  They won't even tell me when or how.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2006, 06:06:07 PM »

Well, the how's easy, at least.  The Army is predominately drawn from Southerners and the majority of Army units are concentrated in the South, as well.  Texas alone gets nets you three RA divisions and one NG division.

I don't quite have the why figured out, though.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2006, 06:29:13 PM »

Well, the how's easy, at least.ÂÂ  The Army is predominately drawn from Southerners and the majority of Army units are concentrated in the South, as well.ÂÂ  Texas alone gets nets you three RA divisions and one NG division.

I don't quite have the why figured out, though.

The why's easy, the South has significant Scots-Irish influence, culturally and genetically. And as Scots-Irish, Freedom, Liberty, Self-Determination, Rebellion, and just plain Fighting is in our blood. In reality the real reason why is for the opportunity to fight the war, the potential for victory and freedom is only an afterthought Wink

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2006, 07:55:54 PM »

25% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
BJohnD

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2006, 07:59:59 PM »

Now where I disagree with Hitler, Lincoln, and Stalin is on issues of values, I tend to support liberty and self-determination thus I believe them to be competent men who put their talents towards evil rather than good, but that's only my personal opinion, a subjective assessment. Thus, while my personal values will never allow me to side with the causes of these three men, to compare one to them is not always an insult. An excellent example is though I disagree with the personal values of Joseph Göbbels, as a rhetorician is is the equal of Cicero, yet more relevant to our society and culture; thus I have been known to read him religiously and offer him the praise that is due to such great talent.

Hitler, Lincoln, and Stalin a triumvirate of evil?  Words fail me.  Beyond parody!    Roll Eyes

I'm clocking out of this silliness.
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2006, 08:38:07 PM »

don't forget Lee's two invasions of Federal territory -- three if you count Jubal Early's run into MD in 1864!).ÂÂ  

Purely defensive offenses for a Cause that was more pure in its intent than in its realities- like the Crusades.
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2006, 11:20:49 PM »

I'm a born and raised native of California Grin

In that case, GiC, I need to give you this:

Bishop Paul Andrew

Jurisdiction: American Orthodox Catholic Church/ Holy Synod of North and South America.

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2006, 12:09:05 AM »

100% Dixie. but born in Southern California
Gabriel
Agnostic Pessimist

« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2006, 02:24:56 AM »

100% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?!

Born and raised in Tennessee.

That'll do it.

My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning.
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2006, 02:15:24 PM »

48% for how I really talk
but I lived in central Florida for 2 years (interior and panhandle Florida is very southern; it's the first place I was called a Yankee and the only place I heard the n word used publicly)

and 7 years in upstate South Carolina - the greatest place in the world! (the Carolinas are the New South) So I knew all the right answers to grade 100% when I took the test a second time
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2006, 03:27:22 PM »

8% Dixie. You are as dandy a Yankee as they get!!

Amen.

Grin

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2006, 06:42:12 PM »

Better Dead than Red

Um...this Blue Dog Democrat Southerner says "Amen"...what's yer point, Yank?

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2006, 06:59:03 PM »

A light in the dark, to be sure.  Wink

Now if the democrats could run an even slightly appealing candidate.

(this isn't an invitation for american political discussion Smiley )

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2006, 08:49:02 PM »

I think chris might know something about Greek involvement in the Civil War. If not, I'll ask my wife. I seem to remember that there was at least one company of Greek soldiers in the Confederate army. There were around 10,000 Greeks in the U.S. (largely in the South) by the start of the War, so it only stands to reason.

Why, yes, I do know something about the Greek involvement in the Civil War...

In the CSA, Co. I of the 10th Louisiana Reg't was known to have had at least 6 people from Greece. This Zouave unit was known as Lee's Foriegn Legion (the 10th LA, not just Co. I) due to the large number of people from different countries who fought in different companies.

Additionally, there is a remnant of an order found that is partially illegible, but was sent to the commander of 'Greek Company A, Louisiana Militia' who happened to have been a Capt. Nicolas Touloubief. This order apparently came from early in the war, as well as another order to this same company which lists the officers by name as well as giving a strength summary of 8 NCOs and 70 private soldiers.

Once my life gets settled, myself and 2-3 other guys at the seminary were flirting with the idea of re-creating the 10th LA., Co. I for Civil War Re-enacting (a hobby I very much enjoyed, and am hoping to return to it). Maybe it'll be Greek Co. A of the LA Militia; we'll have to see. Anyone interested?

I don't yet have much knowledge of the Greek members of the USA, or any information on Greek members of either navy. I would be interested, if anyone can get the info to me!

Much to my surprise, my score was:
89% Dixie.  Do you still use Confederate money?

Well, I guess living in KY, VA, LA, and AR starts to wear off my OH veneer... Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2006, 11:20:09 PM »

Once my life gets settled, myself and 2-3 other guys at the seminary were flirting with the idea of re-creating the 10th LA., Co. I for Civil War Re-enacting (a hobby I very much enjoyed, and am hoping to return to it). Maybe it'll be Greek Co. A of the LA Militia; we'll have to see. Anyone interested?

Depends; the location is close enough to TX that I think I could justify making the trip.  Cost?

Well, I guess living in KY, VA, LA, and AR starts to wear off my OH veneer... Wink

Good for you, brother!  Here's yer sign to match GiC's:

alexander

« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2006, 08:05:29 PM »

100% Dixie....From Arkansas.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: