OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 11:50:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are You A Yankee or a Rebel  (Read 12642 times) Average Rating: 0
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« on: June 29, 2006, 01:55:15 AM »

Take the test:

http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest.html
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 02:01:02 AM »

53% Dixie
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 02:03:12 AM »

I'm 43% Dixie.  I guess it because I spent 5 years in the Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL.
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 02:08:37 AM »

63% Dixie. Just under the Mason-Dixon Line

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 02:14:52 AM »

33% Dixie.... and I think that is WAY too high for me. 
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 02:39:17 AM »

71% Dixie.  Your neck must be a little pink!

Which is a bit surprising since, with the exception of my regular usage of the contraction 'y'all' (it just rolls off the tongue so easily, plus better than further screwing up our language by having an indistinguishable singular and plural in the second person, which I have no doubt contributes to the decline of civilization), my English (along with responses to the survey) is standard for Northern California.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 02:43:04 AM »

Phew1

Thank God!

15% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 07:50:55 AM »

26% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 08:02:18 AM »

I'm a Greek hick and an American Yankee. Ha
20% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 08:03:43 AM by Demetrios G. » Logged

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
smallwhisper

Faith: Russian Orthodox

"The heavens declare the glory of God"

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 08:34:08 AM »

55% Dixie. Barely in Dixie - Yep, Virginia born and raised.  Smiley

"Someone busy trying to understand himself has no time to notice the shortcomings of others - Judge yourself and you will stop judging others." - St Seraphim of Sarov
smallwhisper

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 08:37:50 AM »

with the exception of my regular usage of the contraction 'y'all' (it just rolls off the tongue so easily, plus better than further screwing up our language by having an indistinguishable singular and plural in the second person, which I have no doubt contributes to the decline of civilization
Amen to that, brother!ÂÂ  Wink  I've always thought that too.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 08:42:15 AM by smallwhisper » Logged

"Someone busy trying to understand himself has no time to notice the shortcomings of others - Judge yourself and you will stop judging others." - St Seraphim of Sarov
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 08:52:18 AM »

20% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!

I guess that is what you get when you cross a Canuck with a New Yorker! Grin

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 09:05:08 AM »

Only 35% Dixie! LOL That kind of surprised me, being born in Georgia and raised in South Carolina. Maybe the three years I lived in Minnesota rubbed off on me.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 09:14:51 AM »

Wow, 58% Dixie. I may have grown up there but I prefer PA any day. Most here can't pick up any accent and have to ask where I'm from. Few guess the south.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 09:17:53 AM »

100% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?!   Cheesy

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 09:34:43 AM »

100% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?!   Cheesy

LOL!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I forgot I went to Washington & Lee University - something must have stuck...  Smiley

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 09:43:49 AM »

71% Dixie.  Your neck must be a little pink!
I'm not surprised.  I was born in Oklahoma, spent a few years in Arkansas, was raised in Texas, and now reside in Tennessee.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 03:27:26 PM »

Since when is supporting slavery a form of rebellion?

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 03:31:10 PM »

Since when is supporting slavery a form of rebellion?

You know, I detest the particular institution (i.e. slavery), and I think the good guys won the Civil War (i.e. the North), but Slavery wasn't the only reason why the South seceded, and it would probably be argued by Southern supporters that it wasn't even the biggest of the reasons.  Their concept of what the rebellion was resembled more of what kids think rebellion is now: getting out from "the man," who is different and "doesn't understand," who is just trying to "keep me down" and "keep me from succeeding."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
MBZ

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 04:13:48 PM »

Hi all!

My score was:

21% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy

The states rights argument was the Confederacy's fig leaf, which they used to cover the evil of chattel slavery. The states rights theory of federalism is old and not (I think) without some merit (see the 1798 Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_and_Virginia_Resolutions, authored by none other than Thomas Jefferson and James Madison). However, by using it to mask the institution of chattel slavery (as it was practiced in the ante-bellum South) I fear that the Confederacy has irretrievably & irreversibly tainted and stained it. Since it will forever be associated with the evil of chattel slavery, few will take it seriously and I think that this is unfortunate.

I include the following because I've always found it both interesting & moving:

"Radical Republican" Thaddeus Stevens died on Aug. 11, 1868. He left instructions that he be buried in a Lancaster, Pa. African American cemetery. The inscription on his tombstone says:

"I repose in this quiet and secluded spot, not from any natural preference for solitude; but finding other cemeteries limited as to race, by charter rules, I have chosen this that I might illustrate in my death the principles which I advocated through a long life, equality of man before the Creator".

There was plenty of racism in the north too. Most northerners certainly didn't want the freed slaves coming north and unfortunately, by royally screwing up Reconstruction (by not enacting a general redistributive land reform, which would have benefitted poor whites as well; Kenneth M. Stampp says as much in his The Era of Reconstruction, 1865-1877, http://tinyurl.com/539og), the north helped guarantee that black rights would, for the most part, remain on paper only (14th & 15th amendments notwithstanding) when the last Federal troops withdrew from the south in 1877 and racist, white-dominated state governments were restored.

Be well!

MBZ
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 04:14:42 PM by MBZ » Logged

"Peace, peace to him that is far off and to him that is near." [Isaiah 57:19]

"Gather your wits and hold on fast..." [The Who]

"Lose your dreams and you could lose your mind." [The Rolling Stones]

http://tinyurl.com/bvskq

[url=htt
Landon77
Elder

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 04:30:12 PM »

Matthew, are you one of those northern aggressors? ÂÂ  Cheesy

The War of Northern Aggression was the old states' rights issue. ÂÂ I'm also told by a few history teachers that the south was more like an aristocracy. ÂÂ And indeed, there are still towns in the south that are ran, unofficially, by just one, two, or three families- that sometimes feud.  The southern part of the US has traditionally tried to distance itself from the federal government, while the north seems all too eger to invite the federal government in for coffee or a beer.  Slavery was what brought the problem to a boiling point, but it was not the root of the problem.  The root of the problem were the cultural differences, that we still have to this day.

chrisb
Working it out in fear and trembling...

Jurisdiction: St. Cyprian of Carthage - OCA|South

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006, 04:45:45 PM »

I am Southern Baptist...

For whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother. - Mark 3:35
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2006, 04:49:22 PM »

You see . . . here I thought I was sharing something to have a little fun with.  Little did I know that it would turn in to a history argument.      Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 04:52:05 PM »

Just like good old days of Joe Z....(for us old members). "War of Northern Agression"...sounds just like him.

Landon77
Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 05:00:28 PM »

It is my favorite new name for the war; my old roommate used to call it that whenever we'd get into an argument over him taking down his rebel flag.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 05:26:32 PM »

The War of Northern Aggression

I think you mean SOUTHERN Aggression.  I know reconstruction is moving along more slowly in some places than others, but it is commonly accepted that the rebels fired the first shots...
BJohnD

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 05:27:43 PM »

"36% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee."  Yes, and proud of it, even though I was born and raised in a border state.

Oh, and what Νεκτάριος said!
BJohnD

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 05:35:07 PM »

A favorite quote from John Ford's Stagecoach, courtesy of IMDB:

Ringo Kid [The Duke]: Are you Doc Boone?
Dr. Josiah Boone [Thomas Mitchell]: I certainly am. Ah, let's see... I'd just been honorably discharged from the Union Army after the War of the Rebellion [when he set Ringo's brother's broken arm].
Hatfield [John Carradine]: You mean the War for the Southern Confederacy, sir.
Dr. Josiah Boone: I mean nothing of the kind, sir!
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 05:47:19 PM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9385.msg126133#msg126133 date=1151616392]
I think you mean SOUTHERN Aggression.ÂÂ  I know reconstruction is moving along more slowly in some places than others, but it is commonly accepted that the rebels fired the first shots...
[/quote]

No, I'm pretty sure he meant NORTHERN Aggression.  After all, while Southerners may have fired the first shots, it was Lincoln's occupation of Southern territory that prompted the attack on Fort Sumter, which ceased to be property of the Union government the instant South Carolina seceded.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 05:57:10 PM »

No, I'm pretty sure he meant NORTHERN Aggression.ÂÂ  After all, while Southerners may have fired the first shots, it was Lincoln's occupation of Southern territory that prompted the attack on Fort Sumter, which ceased to be property of the Union government the instant South Carolina seceded.

The first shots were fired even before that when the Yankee ship Star of the West, violated the Maritime Rights of the State of South Carolina in an attempt to resupply the above mentioned occupying forces. The State of South Carolina had told the Yankee Government that their ships could not enter South Carolina's waters, yet they ignored this warning and sent a ship INTO CHARLESTOWN HARBOUR, the Captain was warned to turn back, when he refused a warning shot was fired across the bow of the ship, yet the Ship continued to violate South Carolina's seas. At this point the ship was engaged by coastal defence artillery forces and forced to withdraw from Charleston Harbour. Those were the first shots of the war, shots fired in response to the blatant disregard for the Maritime Rights of South Carolina, essentially the same reason the War of 1812 was fought.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2006, 06:01:30 PM »

It is my favorite new name for the war; my old roommate used to call it that whenever we'd get into an argument over him taking down his rebel flag.

I hope you were the one arguing that it would be inappropriate to remove the flag, as doing so would be an insult to the brave men who fought and died for the sublime right of self-determination. Given the fact that you live in the South, I'm going to give you the benifit of the doubt for the time being and assume that you're not a scalawag or carpetbagger.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 06:12:46 PM »

21% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

....go figure.....

btw. I couldn't answer the last question about "drive through liquor stores", since we call them "drive through bottle-o's",
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 06:18:04 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
smallwhisper

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2006, 06:14:29 PM »

As an Orthodox Southerner, I've always wondered if there were any Orthodox in the Confederate forces. I have heard that the first Orthodox church in the lower 48 was in New Smyrna, Florida, and was founded by Greek colonists in the 18th Century. Perhaps there were Orthodox in Florida during the War of Northern Aggression. Any info would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 06:15:17 PM by smallwhisper » Logged

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2006, 06:19:45 PM »

21% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

It's the inner self trying to come out, George.  Embrace it!  Wink
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2006, 06:26:41 PM »

How do you address a group of people?

You(se) guys
You all
Youse
You'uns, yins
Y'all ----------------------> Throughout southeast US, southern Midwest, and Texas.

I say Y'all not cause im redneck, but cause I'm gangsturrr  Shocked

28% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Since I dont live in USA, can someone tell me what this means? Huh

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »

Sloga, let's just say it is not a good thing.

Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2006, 06:59:10 PM »

WELCOME TO THE CIVIL WAR HISTORY FORUM
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2006, 07:02:59 PM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9385.msg126145#msg126145 date=1151619585]
It's the inner self trying to come out, George.  Embrace it!  Wink
[/quote]

Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!!!
I need an excorcist!!!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2006, 07:15:21 PM »

Sloga, let's just say it is not a good thing.

Why?  Huh

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2006, 07:35:55 PM »

Sloga,

Don't let the beer drinking, snapping turtle eating, nascar watching Rebel tell you there is anything wrong with being a Yankee.  The Yanks not only won the war, but they have the best baseball team to boot!!!  Tongue Grin

Plus, a Serb can't be a Southerner, its just not natural.

Reminds me of when I went to Texas (fishing) with my Dad.  After a while of hearing "yall" so much, he leans over to me a whispers... "pa sta je to yall" - LOL

He was also confused by "yonder", needless to say, he's a Yankee too!

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2006, 07:43:30 PM »

The Yanks not only won the war, but they have the best baseball team to boot!!!ÂÂ  Tongue Grin

Okay, I'm forced to concede that the Yankees do have the best team money can buy. Tongue

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2006, 07:47:45 PM »

The War of Northern Aggression was the old states' rights issue. ÂÂ

Since when is slavery a matter of states' rights?

The root of the problem were the cultural differences, that we still have to this day.

Would racism be one of them?

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2006, 07:59:39 PM »

Okay, I'm forced to concede that the Yankees do have the best team money can buy. Tongue

Yankees???ÂÂ  I thought he was talking about the Mets.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 07:59:53 PM by Psalti Boy » Logged
BJohnD

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2006, 08:13:59 PM »

Sloga, what Veniamin meant, I'm sure, is that it's not a good thing, but rather a great thing.ÂÂ  Wink
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2006, 08:16:43 PM »

Well in that case...Proud to be Yankee !  Grin Grin Grin

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: