OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 11:52:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are You A Yankee or a Rebel  (Read 12721 times) Average Rating: 0
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« on: June 29, 2006, 01:55:15 AM »

Take the test:

http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest.html
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 02:01:02 AM »

53% Dixie
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 02:03:12 AM »

I'm 43% Dixie.  I guess it because I spent 5 years in the Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL.
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 02:08:37 AM »

63% Dixie. Just under the Mason-Dixon Line

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 02:14:52 AM »

33% Dixie.... and I think that is WAY too high for me. 
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 02:39:17 AM »

71% Dixie.  Your neck must be a little pink!

Which is a bit surprising since, with the exception of my regular usage of the contraction 'y'all' (it just rolls off the tongue so easily, plus better than further screwing up our language by having an indistinguishable singular and plural in the second person, which I have no doubt contributes to the decline of civilization), my English (along with responses to the survey) is standard for Northern California.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 02:43:04 AM »

Phew1

Thank God!

15% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 07:50:55 AM »

26% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 08:02:18 AM »

I'm a Greek hick and an American Yankee. Ha
20% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 08:03:43 AM by Demetrios G. » Logged

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
smallwhisper

Faith: Russian Orthodox

"The heavens declare the glory of God"

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 08:34:08 AM »

55% Dixie. Barely in Dixie - Yep, Virginia born and raised.  Smiley

"Someone busy trying to understand himself has no time to notice the shortcomings of others - Judge yourself and you will stop judging others." - St Seraphim of Sarov
smallwhisper

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 08:37:50 AM »

with the exception of my regular usage of the contraction 'y'all' (it just rolls off the tongue so easily, plus better than further screwing up our language by having an indistinguishable singular and plural in the second person, which I have no doubt contributes to the decline of civilization
Amen to that, brother!ÂÂ  Wink  I've always thought that too.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 08:42:15 AM by smallwhisper » Logged

"Someone busy trying to understand himself has no time to notice the shortcomings of others - Judge yourself and you will stop judging others." - St Seraphim of Sarov
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 08:52:18 AM »

20% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!

I guess that is what you get when you cross a Canuck with a New Yorker! Grin

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 09:05:08 AM »

Only 35% Dixie! LOL That kind of surprised me, being born in Georgia and raised in South Carolina. Maybe the three years I lived in Minnesota rubbed off on me.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 09:14:51 AM »

Wow, 58% Dixie. I may have grown up there but I prefer PA any day. Most here can't pick up any accent and have to ask where I'm from. Few guess the south.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 09:17:53 AM »

100% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?!   Cheesy

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 09:34:43 AM »

100% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?!   Cheesy

LOL!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I forgot I went to Washington & Lee University - something must have stuck...  Smiley

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 09:43:49 AM »

I'm not surprised.  I was born in Oklahoma, spent a few years in Arkansas, was raised in Texas, and now reside in Tennessee.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 03:27:26 PM »

Since when is supporting slavery a form of rebellion?

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 03:31:10 PM »

Since when is supporting slavery a form of rebellion?

You know, I detest the particular institution (i.e. slavery), and I think the good guys won the Civil War (i.e. the North), but Slavery wasn't the only reason why the South seceded, and it would probably be argued by Southern supporters that it wasn't even the biggest of the reasons.  Their concept of what the rebellion was resembled more of what kids think rebellion is now: getting out from "the man," who is different and "doesn't understand," who is just trying to "keep me down" and "keep me from succeeding."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
MBZ

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 04:13:48 PM »

Hi all!

My score was:

21% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy

The states rights argument was the Confederacy's fig leaf, which they used to cover the evil of chattel slavery. The states rights theory of federalism is old and not (I think) without some merit (see the 1798 Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_and_Virginia_Resolutions, authored by none other than Thomas Jefferson and James Madison). However, by using it to mask the institution of chattel slavery (as it was practiced in the ante-bellum South) I fear that the Confederacy has irretrievably & irreversibly tainted and stained it. Since it will forever be associated with the evil of chattel slavery, few will take it seriously and I think that this is unfortunate.

I include the following because I've always found it both interesting & moving:

"Radical Republican" Thaddeus Stevens died on Aug. 11, 1868. He left instructions that he be buried in a Lancaster, Pa. African American cemetery. The inscription on his tombstone says:

"I repose in this quiet and secluded spot, not from any natural preference for solitude; but finding other cemeteries limited as to race, by charter rules, I have chosen this that I might illustrate in my death the principles which I advocated through a long life, equality of man before the Creator".

There was plenty of racism in the north too. Most northerners certainly didn't want the freed slaves coming north and unfortunately, by royally screwing up Reconstruction (by not enacting a general redistributive land reform, which would have benefitted poor whites as well; Kenneth M. Stampp says as much in his The Era of Reconstruction, 1865-1877, http://tinyurl.com/539og), the north helped guarantee that black rights would, for the most part, remain on paper only (14th & 15th amendments notwithstanding) when the last Federal troops withdrew from the south in 1877 and racist, white-dominated state governments were restored.

Be well!

MBZ
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 04:14:42 PM by MBZ » Logged

"Peace, peace to him that is far off and to him that is near." [Isaiah 57:19]

"Gather your wits and hold on fast..." [The Who]

"Lose your dreams and you could lose your mind." [The Rolling Stones]

http://tinyurl.com/bvskq

[url=htt
Landon77
Elder

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 04:30:12 PM »

Matthew, are you one of those northern aggressors? ÂÂ  Cheesy

The War of Northern Aggression was the old states' rights issue. ÂÂ I'm also told by a few history teachers that the south was more like an aristocracy. ÂÂ And indeed, there are still towns in the south that are ran, unofficially, by just one, two, or three families- that sometimes feud.  The southern part of the US has traditionally tried to distance itself from the federal government, while the north seems all too eger to invite the federal government in for coffee or a beer.  Slavery was what brought the problem to a boiling point, but it was not the root of the problem.  The root of the problem were the cultural differences, that we still have to this day.

chrisb
Working it out in fear and trembling...

Jurisdiction: St. Cyprian of Carthage - OCA|South

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006, 04:45:45 PM »

I am Southern Baptist...

For whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother. - Mark 3:35
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2006, 04:49:22 PM »

You see . . . here I thought I was sharing something to have a little fun with.  Little did I know that it would turn in to a history argument.      Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 04:52:05 PM »

Just like good old days of Joe Z....(for us old members). "War of Northern Agression"...sounds just like him.

Landon77
Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 05:00:28 PM »

It is my favorite new name for the war; my old roommate used to call it that whenever we'd get into an argument over him taking down his rebel flag.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 05:26:32 PM »

The War of Northern Aggression

I think you mean SOUTHERN Aggression.  I know reconstruction is moving along more slowly in some places than others, but it is commonly accepted that the rebels fired the first shots...
BJohnD

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 05:27:43 PM »

"36% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee."  Yes, and proud of it, even though I was born and raised in a border state.

Oh, and what Νεκτάριος said!
BJohnD

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 05:35:07 PM »

A favorite quote from John Ford's Stagecoach, courtesy of IMDB:

Ringo Kid [The Duke]: Are you Doc Boone?
Dr. Josiah Boone [Thomas Mitchell]: I certainly am. Ah, let's see... I'd just been honorably discharged from the Union Army after the War of the Rebellion [when he set Ringo's brother's broken arm].
Hatfield [John Carradine]: You mean the War for the Southern Confederacy, sir.
Dr. Josiah Boone: I mean nothing of the kind, sir!
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 05:47:19 PM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9385.msg126133#msg126133 date=1151616392]
I think you mean SOUTHERN Aggression.ÂÂ  I know reconstruction is moving along more slowly in some places than others, but it is commonly accepted that the rebels fired the first shots...
[/quote]

No, I'm pretty sure he meant NORTHERN Aggression.  After all, while Southerners may have fired the first shots, it was Lincoln's occupation of Southern territory that prompted the attack on Fort Sumter, which ceased to be property of the Union government the instant South Carolina seceded.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 05:57:10 PM »

No, I'm pretty sure he meant NORTHERN Aggression.ÂÂ  After all, while Southerners may have fired the first shots, it was Lincoln's occupation of Southern territory that prompted the attack on Fort Sumter, which ceased to be property of the Union government the instant South Carolina seceded.

The first shots were fired even before that when the Yankee ship Star of the West, violated the Maritime Rights of the State of South Carolina in an attempt to resupply the above mentioned occupying forces. The State of South Carolina had told the Yankee Government that their ships could not enter South Carolina's waters, yet they ignored this warning and sent a ship INTO CHARLESTOWN HARBOUR, the Captain was warned to turn back, when he refused a warning shot was fired across the bow of the ship, yet the Ship continued to violate South Carolina's seas. At this point the ship was engaged by coastal defence artillery forces and forced to withdraw from Charleston Harbour. Those were the first shots of the war, shots fired in response to the blatant disregard for the Maritime Rights of South Carolina, essentially the same reason the War of 1812 was fought.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2006, 06:01:30 PM »

It is my favorite new name for the war; my old roommate used to call it that whenever we'd get into an argument over him taking down his rebel flag.

I hope you were the one arguing that it would be inappropriate to remove the flag, as doing so would be an insult to the brave men who fought and died for the sublime right of self-determination. Given the fact that you live in the South, I'm going to give you the benifit of the doubt for the time being and assume that you're not a scalawag or carpetbagger.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 06:12:46 PM »

21% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

....go figure.....

btw. I couldn't answer the last question about "drive through liquor stores", since we call them "drive through bottle-o's",
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 06:18:04 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
smallwhisper

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2006, 06:14:29 PM »

As an Orthodox Southerner, I've always wondered if there were any Orthodox in the Confederate forces. I have heard that the first Orthodox church in the lower 48 was in New Smyrna, Florida, and was founded by Greek colonists in the 18th Century. Perhaps there were Orthodox in Florida during the War of Northern Aggression. Any info would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 06:15:17 PM by smallwhisper » Logged

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2006, 06:19:45 PM »

21% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

It's the inner self trying to come out, George.  Embrace it!  Wink
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2006, 06:26:41 PM »

How do you address a group of people?

You(se) guys
You all
Youse
You'uns, yins
Y'all ----------------------> Throughout southeast US, southern Midwest, and Texas.

I say Y'all not cause im redneck, but cause I'm gangsturrr  Shocked

28% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Since I dont live in USA, can someone tell me what this means? Huh

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »

Sloga, let's just say it is not a good thing.

Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2006, 06:59:10 PM »

WELCOME TO THE CIVIL WAR HISTORY FORUM
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2006, 07:02:59 PM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9385.msg126145#msg126145 date=1151619585]
It's the inner self trying to come out, George.  Embrace it!  Wink
[/quote]

Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!!!
I need an excorcist!!!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2006, 07:15:21 PM »

Sloga, let's just say it is not a good thing.

Why?  Huh

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2006, 07:35:55 PM »

Sloga,

Don't let the beer drinking, snapping turtle eating, nascar watching Rebel tell you there is anything wrong with being a Yankee.  The Yanks not only won the war, but they have the best baseball team to boot!!!  Tongue Grin

Plus, a Serb can't be a Southerner, its just not natural.

Reminds me of when I went to Texas (fishing) with my Dad.  After a while of hearing "yall" so much, he leans over to me a whispers... "pa sta je to yall" - LOL

He was also confused by "yonder", needless to say, he's a Yankee too!

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2006, 07:43:30 PM »

The Yanks not only won the war, but they have the best baseball team to boot!!!ÂÂ  Tongue Grin

Okay, I'm forced to concede that the Yankees do have the best team money can buy. Tongue

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2006, 07:47:45 PM »

The War of Northern Aggression was the old states' rights issue. ÂÂ

Since when is slavery a matter of states' rights?

The root of the problem were the cultural differences, that we still have to this day.

Would racism be one of them?

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2006, 07:59:39 PM »

Okay, I'm forced to concede that the Yankees do have the best team money can buy. Tongue

Yankees???ÂÂ  I thought he was talking about the Mets.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 07:59:53 PM by Psalti Boy » Logged
BJohnD

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2006, 08:13:59 PM »

Sloga, what Veniamin meant, I'm sure, is that it's not a good thing, but rather a great thing.ÂÂ  Wink
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2006, 08:16:43 PM »

Well in that case...Proud to be Yankee !  Grin Grin Grin

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2006, 08:29:59 PM »

It was a states rights issue prior to Congress being given the authority to interfere in the institution by the Constitution prior to the 13th Amendment, ever read the 10th Amendment??? Roll Eyes

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2006, 08:37:36 PM »

28% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Since I dont live in USA, can someone tell me what this means? Huh

A mocking name for a coward (one of several theories on the origin of the term 'yankee') who is vain and of dubious sexual orientation (that would be the dandy part). Grin

Well in that case...Proud to be Yankee !ÂÂ  Grin Grin Grin

But what about the dandy part Wink

calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2006, 09:19:15 PM »

73% Dixie even though I was born in the West!
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2006, 09:45:39 PM »

Well in that case...Proud to be Yankee !

Ако помажеш ми учити твој језик, могу поучавати Ñ‚e говорити као "јejнки".  Wink  I wonder if any of that made any sense at all, as I am having a very frustrating time with Serbocroatian class at school. 

Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2006, 10:51:24 PM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9385.msg126173#msg126173 date=1151631939]
Ако помажеш ми учити твој језик, могу поучавати Ñ‚e говорити као "јejнки".ÂÂ  WinkÂÂ  I wonder if any of that made any sense at all, as I am having a very frustrating time with Serbocroatian class at school.ÂÂ  

[/quote]

It's all Greek to me! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2006, 01:00:45 AM »

Quote from: Landon77 on Yesterday at 04:30:12 PM
The War of Northern Aggression was the old states' rights issue. 

Quote from: Landon77 on Yesterday at 04:30:12 PM
The root of the problem were the cultural differences, that we still have to this day.

Would racism be one of them?

Just for the record, yes there is racisim in the south.  However, in my experience, most Southerners are embarissed of this, much like the Germans are of the holocaust.  And just before you are quick to cast stones, your people are not off scott-free.  In my time, in New York, New England, the Great Lakes and North, I have just seen just as much racisim.  Not just between blacks and whites but between any ethnic groups.  The prejudice is often even more blunt, too.  Historically wise, this has often been the case.  Read a good history book, not just a trypical one by any side, and you'll see lynchings, arguments for slavery, etc. among Northerners too.  It's something guilty of man, not just one reigion in the world.  Besides, northern food is aweful.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2006, 01:02:24 AM »

I still remember when I was out backpacking once in Arkansas and I asked a ranger which way to the campsite.  His response, "Well, y'all just go right down there yonder and take a left."

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2006, 01:07:23 AM »

100% DIXIE.  CAN'T BE BORN AND BRED IN TEXAS AND NOT BE. Y'ALL!

THOMAS

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2006, 04:14:11 AM »

I fail to understand how people can be proud of being from the South, even to the point of denying the inherent moral superiority of the North in the Civil War.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2006, 07:30:11 AM »

Inherent moral superiority?  Both sides had their problems (i.e. POW camps on both sides, etc.).  Anyway, I wouldn't engage GiC in an argument on the Civil War - he is the kind of person who would engage in a defense of slavery not because he particularly liked it, but just because he can...

---------------------
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2006, 07:37:20 AM »

Oh, here we go, y'all...

"83% Dixie.  Do you still use Confederate money?"

Not quite where my fellow Texans are, to mah shame...prolly due to a Yankee mama (I DARES y'all tah say suh-m!  Wink).

I fail to understand how people can be proud of being from the South, even to the point of denying the inherent moral superiority of the North in the Civil War.

This is rich.  Any of y'all ever see "Gangs of New York"?  You wanna tell me that the Yanks were some sort of egalitarian, liberal-minded, emancipation-crazed bunch as a whole?

Please.  Lincoln himself was well known for saying that his main objective for invading the South (and putting an end to her constitutional right to secede from a trecherous Union) was to preserve the Union.  Period.  He said if he could do that by freeing all slaves, he'd do it.  And if he could do it by leaving all slaves in bondage, he'd do it that way, too.  The Emancipation Proclamation was not only worthless, but (I think GiC would agree) one of the biggest propaganda pieces ever.

Point out the fact that the South was what it was because its great economy was built on the backs of enslaved fellow human beings, and without that they wouldn't have had the means (or the economic incentive) to secede in the first place.

Point out the glaring irony that the Confederates (my ancestors; may their memories all be eternal) demanded their right to self-governance, while all the while they denied that same exact right to an entire race of people.

But for cryin' out loud, Billy Boy: Don't point to the Union as some morally superior nation:

• They ditched their own Constitution to invade a confederacy of states that had every right to leave; the only thing holding our country together is the will of every individual state to stay there.
  • They cared not a whit as a whole about the black man, save abolitionists, since their laws, along with those of the South, denied blacks the right to vote and other civil liberties; ever see the movie "Glory"? (Blacks fought in the Rebel forces, too, btw; Gen. Robert E. Lee was in favor of emancipation through military service).
  • They ruthlessly and cruelly DE-constructed the South, pouring salt into wounds still felt in parts of Dixie to this day.

Both sides fought with relative indifference to the black man, which, yes, is pathetic.  That war was nothing more than an economic tug-of-war by the white portions of two nations that the North won through sheer numbers and better industry.  That slavery was ended by a Union victory does not justify the North's invasion; if the CSA had wanted to be recognized by Britain and/or France (a must-have recognition for sovreignty in those days), they would have had to have enacted gradual emancipation almost immediately anyway.

I won't offer any defense of slavery; as a southerner, I consider it a shameful blight on the South's history.  But someone please tell me how forcing men to give up their slaves at the point of a gun is going to make them any nicer towards said freedmen once the dust settles...had they been able to determine for themselves how to do this (a situation which would still be wrong, yes, but we're dealing with an imperfect world and the lesser of two evils), race relations in the South may have taken an entirely different path...

For more reading, see this speech, given by the last Confederate congressman to repose, which I'm proud to way was given in my current place of residence.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tikhon29605
High Elder

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2006, 08:38:37 AM »

And just to FURTHER complicate matter regarding slavery and the Civil War (or War Between the States, or whatever you want to call it) consider this: What about all the pro-Union SOUTHERNERS? They existed, you know. Even in the state that started the rebellion, South Carolina (my home state), the northern part of my county (Greenville county) was pro-union, while the city of Greenville and the southern part of the county were pro-Confederate. Large numbers of people in western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee (the Knoxville, TN to Asheville, NC area) were also pro-Union. For an eye-opening perspective, go to Milledgeville, Georgia and visit the Civil War cemetary, and see the HUNDREDS of graves of the Tennesse UNIONISTS (who were as Southern as grits, but fought alongside with the Yankees). And while we are discusssing this, let us not forget the pro-Confederate people in the Union states (mostly the Midwest). Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio were full of Confederate sympathizers who were called "Copperheads" by the Unionists. 
     My point in all this is that the real Civil War was more complex and nuanced than anyone today wants to admit.
Landon77
Elder

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2006, 08:53:57 AM »

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ My point in all this is that the real Civil War was more complex and nuanced than anyone today wants to admit.
ÂÂ  I agree.

ÂÂ  And on the topic of racism: It comes more from fear more than anything else.ÂÂ  In August I'm planning to go to S. Korea to Teach ESL.ÂÂ  I'm told that I will face racism head on because the Koreans don't see non-Koreans as being truly human.ÂÂ  Sound famfailure? That doesn't mean that I should define the S. Korean culture by this one shortcoming.ÂÂ  It is something, that in time, God willing, will be put away and become a part of the embarrassing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 08:56:26 AM by Landon77 » Logged

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2006, 09:29:50 AM »

Who can forget the picture of Arch bishop Iakovos on the cover of Time magazine. His march with Martin Luther King in support of freedom. (The civil war really didn't free the blacks from discrimination) The Greek Orthodox Know all to well what it feels like to be enslaved for 400 years. No culture or race should ever have to endore that.
  One must fight there way out as the Greeks did or wait for help from others. People are not just freed without some kind of force or intervention. By God or others. The Greeks waited and waited for the west to intervene. But the west was only interested in oppressing Orthodoxy. That is one of the main reasons, If not the reason why Catholicism has a larger following in the world today. History books don't always tell us the truth. And for those of you that think that the Greeks were the wrong people to carry the word of god. All I have to say is that ignorance is bliss.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2006, 09:42:31 AM »

My point in all this is that the real Civil War was more complex and nuanced than anyone today wants to admit.

Absolutely.  My wife's from Kentucky; that state was split pretty much down the middle, as was Missouri!

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2006, 10:51:41 AM »

Absolutely.ÂÂ  My wife's from Kentucky; that state was split pretty much down the middle, as was Missouri!

My family is from Kentucky and Missouri and fought for both sides, including in both Armies of (the) Tennessee; this is to be compared with those of my relatives that lived in Eastern Kentucky who simply fought both sides. lol
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 10:52:33 AM by greekischristian » Logged

Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2006, 11:48:32 AM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9385.msg126173#msg126173 date=1151631939]
Ако помажеш ми учити твој језик, могу поучавати Ñ‚e говорити као "јejнки".ÂÂ  WinkÂÂ  

[/quote]

Може, ако имаш неко питање, питај преко ПМа  Smiley

calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2006, 12:30:20 PM »

No one seems to want to realized that Northerners has slaves as well and the North didn't hold blacks in any higher regard in general.  They just tried for a morally superior stance and had the $$ to back up their agenda.  If the south succeeded in suceeding, it would harm the north's bottom line.  Mankind is mankind.  Finding ways to elevate one's self above another "inferior" person is still a viable and foul pastime.  How many women in offices do this, how many men think women are just objects, lots of african americans thinking whites are out to get them, how many whites thinking blacks are stupid and lazy, etc....
Where I was born and raised in N california, racism is just as prevalent. But it's towards Mexicans and native Americans.  They have a high poplulation of Paiute indians there and everyone likes to look down on them as inferior.  When moved to VA, i had really never seen a black person! (hey I was 7)  And there aren't many native americans around this area, save the Monacan tribe.  It is unfortunate that mankind finds ways to elevate himself above others, or other people groups-but its done everywhere.  It's just that during the Civil war it was in grotesquely obvious proportions.  It certainly hasn't gone away.
But at least here in Dixie, we have folks that are serious students of the true reasons for the Civil War and will educate the young in these regards-cut they ain't learnin it in skool.  My respect to those of you on here that have studied your history in depth!
BJohnD

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2006, 12:32:40 PM »

My family is from Kentucky and Missouri and fought for both sides, including in both Armies of (the) Tennessee; this is to be compared with those of my relatives that lived in Eastern Kentucky who simply fought both sides. lol

I'm a Marylander, but a Yankee at heart, which is not so strange as it may seem (Maryland's northern border is the Mason-Dixon line).  DC (and its surrounding suburbs) is very cosmopolitan and quite different today from the "sleepy southern town" it was just a couple of generations ago. 

Maryland was fractured, too.  It was a slave state (Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass both grew up on plantations on MD's Eastern Shore).  Lincoln had to resort to some pretty neat tricks to keep the ironically nicknamed "Free State" (it was originally founded as a Catholic haven) from joining the Confederacy and, thus, having his Nation's Capital surrounded by Confederate territory.  If you go to any Civil War battlefield in the East (Antietam comes to mind), you will find monuments to both Union and Confederate Maryland regiments.

As for the war, slavery, et al., I think Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address said it all: 

"Both [sides] read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not be answered. That of neither has been answered fully. The Almighty has His own purposes. 'Woe unto the world because of offenses; for it must needs be that offenses come, but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh.' If we shall suppose that American slavery is one of those offenses which, in the providence of God, must needs come, but which, having continued through His appointed time, He now wills to remove, and that He gives to both North and South this terrible war as the woe due to those by whom the offense came, shall we discern therein any departure from those divine attributes which the believers in a living God always ascribe to Him? Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said 'the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.'

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2006, 12:42:15 PM »

As an Orthodox Southerner, I've always wondered if there were any Orthodox in the Confederate forces. I have heard that the first Orthodox church in the lower 48 was in New Smyrna, Florida, and was founded by Greek colonists in the 18th Century. Perhaps there were Orthodox in Florida during the War of Northern Aggression. Any info would be appreciated.

Don't know about Orthodox in CSA forces but first Greek Orthodox Church was established in New Orleans in mid 1860s. The New Smyrna colony (1768) south of St Augustine may have been Greeks but they all, with the exception of ONE family, essentially became Roman Catholics worshipping with the only clergy that the colony's sponsor provided (he had promised a Greek Orthodox priest , but never delivered - pretty characteristic of his whole style).

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2006, 12:56:19 PM »

Maryland was fractured, too.ÂÂ  It was a slave state (Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass both grew up on plantations on MD's Eastern Shore).ÂÂ  Lincoln had to resort to some pretty neat tricks to keep the ironically nicknamed "Free State" (it was originally founded as a Catholic haven) from joining the Confederacy and, thus, having his Nation's Capital surrounded by Confederate territory.

'Neat Tricks' you mean an unconstitutional of Maryland's elected government, and crimes against the writ of habeas corpus that would eventually be condemned by the Supreme Court. Lincoln used 'pretty neat tricks' to keep Maryland in the Union in the same way Hitler used some 'pretty neat tricks' during the occupation of France.

If you go to any Civil War battlefield in the East (Antietam comes to mind), you will find monuments to both Union and Confederate Maryland regiments.

Sharpsburg is a beautiful place and well preserved battlefield, I can spend many an hour looking out across the field from Bloody Lane. But of particular interest for Maryland's role in the War for Southern Independence is the battle of Front Royal during the Valley Campaign of '62 (it's at the Bottom of the Valley, not far from Winchester, if you live in Maryland and want to make a day trip out of it), which was primarily fought between two Maryland Regiments; the Union Regiment, though they fought well, had the misfortune of being under the command of Commissary Banks and thus were caught outnumbered and surprised by Jackson's Valley Army, with their Maryland Regiment serving as the Advanced Guard.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 12:59:40 PM by greekischristian » Logged

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2006, 01:03:53 PM »

New Smyrna possibly had a priest, but never a real Church (the colony failed, ya know). The first successful Greek settlement, including a (still-running) Greek Orthodox parish and a Greek consulate, was in New Orleans. The Church has been around since the 1860s.

I think chris might know something about Greek involvement in the Civil War. If not, I'll ask my wife. I seem to remember that there was at least one company of Greek soldiers in the Confederate army. There were around 10,000 Greeks in the U.S. (largely in the South) by the start of the War, so it only stands to reason.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2006, 01:13:56 PM »

81% Dixie.  Do you still use Confederate money?

Which is about right.  I've lived in the South all my life except for 5 years in Maryland (when I was a youngin'). I guess that, plus that fact I grew up in suburban Atlanta, accounts for my 19% non-Dixie speech.  Grin

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
BJohnD

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2006, 02:33:23 PM »

'Neat Tricks' you mean an unconstitutional of Maryland's elected government, and crimes against the writ of habeas corpus that would eventually be condemned by the Supreme Court. Lincoln used 'pretty neat tricks' to keep Maryland in the Union in the same way Hitler used some 'pretty neat tricks' during the occupation of France.

Oh, please, not the Hitler Argument!  The Last Refuge of the Debater.  Yes, Lincoln locked up the MD legislature.  Yes, he suspended habeas corpus (permitted by Article I, Sec. 9, cl. 2 of the Constitution in "Cases of Rebellion," though I'll grant that it's Congress' prerogative, not POTUS').  Yes, he led the Union in an "invasion" of the Confederacy (don't forget Lee's two invasions of Federal territory -- three if you count Jubal Early's run into MD in 1864!).  But for heaven's sake don't compare that to Hitler's genocidal war of conquest in the name of an allegedly superior "race" that nearly wiped out Western Civ at the cost of 50 million lives!!!  The comparison doesn't wash.

I lived in Maryland for 36 years, but I'm now happily ensconced in California.  The Golden State has its own problems, God knows, but at least re-fighting the Civil War isn't one of them!  Roll Eyes
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2006, 02:50:29 PM »

I lived in Maryland for 36 years, but I'm now happily ensconced in California.  The Golden State has its own problems, God knows, but at least re-fighting the Civil War isn't one of them!  Roll Eyes

At my very northern alma mater, which basically shut down during the War because all of the male students volunteered for the Union Army (abolitionist Protestants, ya know), every single meeting of the Student Fed during my tenure would end the same way. Near the conclusion of public remarks, a southerner would stand up and say: "Mr. Chairman, may the record show that the South shall rise again."

And indeed the record did so show. (Mr. X announced that the South shall rise again) Couldn't pass last week's minutes without it.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2006, 03:19:37 PM »

Oh, please, not the Hitler Argument!ÂÂ  The Last Refuge of the Debater. Yes, Lincoln locked up the MD legislature.ÂÂ  Yes, he suspended habeas corpus (permitted by Article I, Sec. 9, cl. 2 of the Constitution in "Cases of Rebellion," though I'll grant that it's Congress' prerogative, not POTUS').ÂÂ  Yes, he led the Union in an "invasion" of the Confederacy (don't forget Lee's two invasions of Federal territory -- three if you count Jubal Early's run into MD in 1864!).ÂÂ  But for heaven's sake don't compare that to Hitler's genocidal war of conquest in the name of an allegedly superior "race" that nearly wiped out Western Civ at the cost of 50 million lives!!!ÂÂ  The comparison doesn't wash.

The difference is that when I make the hitler comparison I don't always mean it in a negative manner. First of all, WWII was over territorial expansion, not over genocide, the genocide was a side show. Quite comprable to the War Between the States, Lincoln was fighting for territorial expansion; this isn't a bad thing per se many, dare I way most, wars throughout history were fought for this very reason; perhaps it isn't as noble as 'honour, liberty, and self-determination,' but it's still a valid reason to fight a war. While I despise Lincoln, Grant, Sherman, Sheridan, Pope, Butler, etc. as people; I wouldn't go so far as to say war criminals, I don't really believe that there are crimes in war, only victory and defeat. The North won the war, true they started out with superior resources in an era where wars were won by attrition, but some credit must go to those who knew how to at least not lose (which is all a country with superior resources needed to do in Napoleonic war). I will give credit where credit is due (which is not to Pope or Butler no matter how you analyze the situation), I dont care how bad of a person you are, if you're a competent military commander, you diserve credit for that. Thus I give Hitler praise for his Economic reforms of the 30's, I give Lincoln credit for winning the war, I give Stalin credit for turning Russia into a Superpower.

Now where I disagree with Hitler, Lincoln, and Stalin is on issues of values, I tend to support liberty and self-determination thus I believe them to be competent men who put their talents towards evil rather than good, but that's only my personal opinion, a subjective assessment. Thus, while my personal values will never allow me to side with the causes of these three men, to compare one to them is not always an insult. An excellent example is though I disagree with the personal values of Joseph Göbbels, as a rhetorician is is the equal of Cicero, yet more relevant to our society and culture; thus I have been known to read him religiously and offer him the praise that is due to such great talent.

Oh, and it should be noted that considering the way the elected government of Maryland was treated, any movement into Maryland can not be regarded as an invasion, but rather as an attempt to liberate an occupied state. The only true invasion was in '63, which was both conducted within the guidelines of the traditional rules of war (which protect civilians and their property) and more than justified by the attrocities that had been committed by Union Armies in Northern Virginia the previous year.

I lived in Maryland for 36 years, but I'm now happily ensconced in California.ÂÂ  The Golden State has its own problems, God knows, but at least re-fighting the Civil War isn't one of them!ÂÂ  Roll Eyes

I'm a born and raised native of California Grin

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2006, 03:36:40 PM »

43% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

Thats interesting.....

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »

"Mr. Chairman, may the record show that the South shall rise again."

AND IT WILL!!!
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2006, 05:31:51 PM »

AND IT WILL!!!

Much as I'd identify with a distinctly Southern nation, and as much as I recognize the CSA's right to secede as it existed in 1861, why and how, pray tell, will or should this happen?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 05:32:13 PM by Pedro » Logged

Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2006, 05:36:10 PM »

Much as I'd identify with a distinctly Southern nation, and as much as I recognize the CSA's right to secede as it existed in 1861, why and how, pray tell, will or should this happen?

Stay Tuned.  All my southern in-laws say it's coming.  They won't even tell me when or how.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2006, 06:06:07 PM »

Well, the how's easy, at least.  The Army is predominately drawn from Southerners and the majority of Army units are concentrated in the South, as well.  Texas alone gets nets you three RA divisions and one NG division.

I don't quite have the why figured out, though.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2006, 06:29:13 PM »

Well, the how's easy, at least.ÂÂ  The Army is predominately drawn from Southerners and the majority of Army units are concentrated in the South, as well.ÂÂ  Texas alone gets nets you three RA divisions and one NG division.

I don't quite have the why figured out, though.

The why's easy, the South has significant Scots-Irish influence, culturally and genetically. And as Scots-Irish, Freedom, Liberty, Self-Determination, Rebellion, and just plain Fighting is in our blood. In reality the real reason why is for the opportunity to fight the war, the potential for victory and freedom is only an afterthought Wink

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2006, 07:55:54 PM »

25% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
BJohnD

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2006, 07:59:59 PM »

Now where I disagree with Hitler, Lincoln, and Stalin is on issues of values, I tend to support liberty and self-determination thus I believe them to be competent men who put their talents towards evil rather than good, but that's only my personal opinion, a subjective assessment. Thus, while my personal values will never allow me to side with the causes of these three men, to compare one to them is not always an insult. An excellent example is though I disagree with the personal values of Joseph Göbbels, as a rhetorician is is the equal of Cicero, yet more relevant to our society and culture; thus I have been known to read him religiously and offer him the praise that is due to such great talent.

Hitler, Lincoln, and Stalin a triumvirate of evil?  Words fail me.  Beyond parody!    Roll Eyes

I'm clocking out of this silliness.
DavidH
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2006, 08:38:07 PM »

don't forget Lee's two invasions of Federal territory -- three if you count Jubal Early's run into MD in 1864!).ÂÂ  

Purely defensive offenses for a Cause that was more pure in its intent than in its realities- like the Crusades.
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2006, 11:20:49 PM »

I'm a born and raised native of California Grin

In that case, GiC, I need to give you this:

Bishop Paul Andrew

Jurisdiction: American Orthodox Catholic Church/ Holy Synod of North and South America.

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2006, 12:09:05 AM »

100% Dixie. but born in Southern California
Gabriel
Agnostic Pessimist

« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2006, 02:24:56 AM »

100% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?!

Born and raised in Tennessee.

That'll do it.

My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning.
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2006, 02:15:24 PM »

48% for how I really talk
but I lived in central Florida for 2 years (interior and panhandle Florida is very southern; it's the first place I was called a Yankee and the only place I heard the n word used publicly)

and 7 years in upstate South Carolina - the greatest place in the world! (the Carolinas are the New South) So I knew all the right answers to grade 100% when I took the test a second time
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2006, 03:27:22 PM »

8% Dixie. You are as dandy a Yankee as they get!!

Amen.

Grin

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2006, 06:42:12 PM »

Better Dead than Red

Um...this Blue Dog Democrat Southerner says "Amen"...what's yer point, Yank?

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2006, 06:59:03 PM »

A light in the dark, to be sure.  Wink

Now if the democrats could run an even slightly appealing candidate.

(this isn't an invitation for american political discussion Smiley )

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2006, 08:49:02 PM »

I think chris might know something about Greek involvement in the Civil War. If not, I'll ask my wife. I seem to remember that there was at least one company of Greek soldiers in the Confederate army. There were around 10,000 Greeks in the U.S. (largely in the South) by the start of the War, so it only stands to reason.

Why, yes, I do know something about the Greek involvement in the Civil War...

In the CSA, Co. I of the 10th Louisiana Reg't was known to have had at least 6 people from Greece. This Zouave unit was known as Lee's Foriegn Legion (the 10th LA, not just Co. I) due to the large number of people from different countries who fought in different companies.

Additionally, there is a remnant of an order found that is partially illegible, but was sent to the commander of 'Greek Company A, Louisiana Militia' who happened to have been a Capt. Nicolas Touloubief. This order apparently came from early in the war, as well as another order to this same company which lists the officers by name as well as giving a strength summary of 8 NCOs and 70 private soldiers.

Once my life gets settled, myself and 2-3 other guys at the seminary were flirting with the idea of re-creating the 10th LA., Co. I for Civil War Re-enacting (a hobby I very much enjoyed, and am hoping to return to it). Maybe it'll be Greek Co. A of the LA Militia; we'll have to see. Anyone interested?

I don't yet have much knowledge of the Greek members of the USA, or any information on Greek members of either navy. I would be interested, if anyone can get the info to me!

Much to my surprise, my score was:
89% Dixie.  Do you still use Confederate money?

Well, I guess living in KY, VA, LA, and AR starts to wear off my OH veneer... Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2006, 11:20:09 PM »

Once my life gets settled, myself and 2-3 other guys at the seminary were flirting with the idea of re-creating the 10th LA., Co. I for Civil War Re-enacting (a hobby I very much enjoyed, and am hoping to return to it). Maybe it'll be Greek Co. A of the LA Militia; we'll have to see. Anyone interested?

Depends; the location is close enough to TX that I think I could justify making the trip.  Cost?

Well, I guess living in KY, VA, LA, and AR starts to wear off my OH veneer... Wink

Good for you, brother!  Here's yer sign to match GiC's:

alexander

« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2006, 08:05:29 PM »

100% Dixie....From Arkansas.
Colum597
INVICTUS MANEO!

Holy God pleaser Columba, pray for us!

« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2006, 12:04:24 PM »

96% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?!

100% CRACKER & proud of it!

The War continues to be fought because conquered people have long memories.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 03:10:16 PM by Colum597 » Logged

"This life has been given to you for repentance, do not waste it in vain pursuits." 
St. Isaac of Syria
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2006, 09:02:42 AM »

TRY TAKING THE ADVANCED TEST:
http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest_advanced.html
It lowered my score to 15% Dixie from 30% in the regular test. My great-great grandfather fought under General Sherman.

In the following article, a priest from the Charleston area describes the Orthodox church:
http://www.oca.org/CHRIST-life-article.asp?SID=6&ID=63&MONTH=July&YEAR=2004

In part, he writes: "Approximately 4 million Orthodox live in the United States, concentrated primarily in the Northeast, Midwest and California." Is this a nice way of saying, "Orthodox primarily live in every region of the US but the south?"

Did you know, that in the Civil War, Russia was America's closest ally? That's right- Britain and France liked trading with the South for cotton, and were wary of America's economic success. Russia, on the other hand, was embroiled in the Crimean War with those two countries. Abolitionists in America had a good opinion of Russia at the time for abolishing serfdom a few years earlier. For both political similarities and strategic reasons, the Civil War was a time of one of the closest friendships between America and the largest Orthodox country at the time- Russia.

General Turchin was a famous Russian officer who fought for the Union army. Later, he founded a colony of Russian and Polish immigrants in Illinois.

Also, in part to free their navy from the dangers of the Crimean War, Russia sent ships to protect New York's harbor- freeing up more Northern ships to blockade the Confederacy. The Russian Navy also went to San Francisco.

See:
Friends in Peace and War: The Russian Navy's Landmark Visit to Civil War San Francisco (Military Controversies S.) 
C. Douglas Kroll

Later, the friendship between Lincoln's administration and Russia facilitated the purchase of Alaska.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 09:05:32 AM by rakovsky » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2006, 09:50:15 AM »

When I took the advanced test: 19% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!  That's 7% lower than the regular test.

---------------------
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2006, 10:21:41 AM »

I guess the assimilation to Alabama is now complete:

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2006, 11:16:37 AM »

13% Dixie on the Advanced test.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2006, 01:45:38 PM »

Well kick the cat and spit in the fire!!!!!

94% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?!
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2006, 03:18:59 PM »

I loved one of the options on the last multiple choice-
"what is insurance"?
 Cheesy
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2006, 12:18:40 AM »

No Change from the last score.

And my answers again reflected not only my speech, but the speech that is common where I grew up in Northern California; that we're rednecks I have no doubt, but southern? Well, we did have our own secession movement back in the 40's, but it was screwed up when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbour...oh well, maybe next time, we're technically still in a state of war with Oregon, California and Japan Grin

ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2006, 01:17:23 PM »

44% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom. 
I guess living in Virginia for 4 years rubbed off.  :-D  A lot of my speech though apparently is from the New England area, not from upstate NY where I grew up... also, one of the questions, about the pronunciation of caramel, none of the answers fit... where I come from, its pronounced "CARE-a-mel."

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2006, 02:59:04 PM »

where I come from, its pronounced "CARE-a-mel."

Oooh, that's definately from Boston. I'm so sorry....

When I worked at The Coffeeshop That Shall Not Be Named while in Boston, people would poke fun at me since I pronouned caramel the way everyone else in southern Ohio does: 'CAH-mle'

Well, politically correct Bostonians would take pleasure in correcting country boy Chris until I pointed out their inconsistency with this:

"If y'all 'pahk your cahs in Hahvahd Yahd', then why do you suddenly say out the R in CARE-e-mel?"

That'd make them stop to think about it, I tell you what!ÂÂ  Wink
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 02:59:34 PM by chris » Logged

Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2006, 04:25:37 PM »

Well, awl be dad-gum...mine went up!

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2006, 05:16:32 PM »

Hey, whadaya guys have against Boston?  It's a wicked cool city.  :-P  Particularly since most of mi familia resides around it.  It's got wicked good chowda, and the people drive their cahs wicked fast, and they've got a zillion Dunkin Donuts, bubblas, lotsa wicked good bahs, (none of them Cheers), they drink frappes, drive to the Cape, and get called "massholes" by anyone else from New England but not from Massachusetts. 

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2006, 06:08:16 PM »

ÂÂ  It's got wicked good chowda, and the people drive their cahs wicked fast, and they've got a zillion Dunkin Donuts, bubblas, lotsa wicked good bahs, (none of them Cheers), they drink frappes, drive to the Cape, and get called "massholes" by anyone else from New England but not from Massachusetts.ÂÂ  

Chowder is something I detest, and everything else you list is reason enough for me to resent Boston.

I've said this before---on my last trip out of MA, I stopped immediately after I crossed the CT line. I then shook the MA dust off my shoes, spat on the MA soil, and solemnly vowed that I will never set foot in Boston ever again (stopovers at Logan Airport don't count).

And that's just the way it is

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2006, 03:15:08 PM »

your loss my friend, leaving more of the wonderful city of boston for the rest of us.  :-D

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2006, 03:23:50 PM »

your loss my friend, leaving more of the wonderful city of boston for the rest of us.ÂÂ  :-D

That is just so wrong, sick, and demented on so many levels. We can only pray that one day, by the grace of God, or the Russian nuclear arsenal, or perhaps a good will trade agreement with Canada for the Western Provinces Wink, the details dont really concern me, our country will no longer be plagued by the presence of such cities as Boston. We can only hope and pray Grin

FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2006, 03:44:10 PM »

our country will no longer be plagued by the presence of such cities as Boston. We can only hope and pray Grin

"For deliverance from all affliction, such as the city of Boston being within our nation's borders, let us pray to the Lord"

blazhenny

« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2006, 07:05:43 PM »

I am a total Yankee, and proud. For me, the center of the universe is Columbus Circle, Isle of Manhattan, City of New York. Permit me to say that I have been to Boston many times -- it is a wonderful city. As for Rebel Territory, I love the Chesapeake Bay region of Maryland, and am very fond of Maryland as a whole, including Baltimore, which gets a bad rap from a lot of people. I love to visit Charleston, S.C., one of the most beautiful little cities in the entire country, and I once spent a couple of weeks in Augusta, Ga., a very charming town. I've been to Atlanta a number of times; I'm not impressed. Austin, Texas, is a wonderful town but more West than Dixie IMO. That just about exhausts my experience of the South.

IC XC NIKA
Princeps

« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2006, 12:45:21 AM »

"For deliverance from all affliction, such as the city of Boston being within our nation's borders, let us pray to the Lord"

I literally laughed out loud on that one. Cheesy

I didn't take the test but I'm definitely Rebel by choice.  Nobody ever really talks about the fact that 25% of all the slaves in America died from the horrible conditions in the Union Army camps they fled to.  Add all the abrogations of the Constitution, the forced breakdown of race relations in the South and the destruction of federalism into the mix, and it comes out looking pretty much like the Union was a pack of bad guys.

Besides, Jesse James is in the family history. Wink
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2006, 10:20:52 PM »

Yankee by birth . . . Rebel by marriage.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2012, 10:00:49 PM »

"34% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee"

D*mn straight!
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2012, 12:18:07 AM »

Well, shut mah mouth!  Ah reckin they's no suhprahz thay-uh...

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2012, 02:31:20 AM »

57%

Makes sense, live in the Midwest, grew up split between one side of my family which are all lawyers and such. The other half are everyday folks. I lived in a rural city and along with my friends, had strong hick tendencies with accents, dress choice in music, etc...

Ironically coming to the southern half of the state has changed my speech, but I dropped the hick accent, the boots and the music. Now I say y'all casually, but listen to rock.

My ancestor probably fought in the Civil War on the Rebel side, and I grew up in an area that hates Kansas and loves to celebrate Jesse James. I loved Civil War history and took great pride in he heritage of the area. I feel a strange connection to the Rebel Flag, yet I also think some things like MO/KS Hatred is rediculous and holding 150 year old grudges is a bit crazy.

So that analysis makes sense, I'm torn...

BTW, it's pronounced Missourah, not Misery...
Babalon
Resident Occultist

Faith: Gnosis
Jurisdiction: A.'.A.'.

I am everywhere the centre.

« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2012, 03:12:35 AM »

55% Dixie.

Damn son.

...and to think I was raised in Orange County, CA by a pack of Atheists.  Shocked Huh

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2012, 07:17:48 AM »

I'm a yankee.
This is actually weird, since I live in the danish version of Texas.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2012, 11:56:13 AM »

50% Dixie.  There's a reason I'm a Copperhead and not a Reb.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2012, 12:51:26 PM »

24% Dixie. What?  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2012, 02:35:04 PM »

18% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!

Or in my case, FOBdom

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Tikhon29605
High Elder

« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »

Interesting test.  I scored 28% Dixie and it said I was a Yankee.  LOL  I was born in Augusta, Georgia and lived most of my life in the Carolinas.  But I have traveled extensively and did live up North for three years.  My mother was from Michigan and my Dad was from North Carolina. The reason I think I scored so "Northern" on the test was that the area of the South that I grew up in had a LOT of transplants from all over the United States and even several foreign countries, esp. Germany, Switzerland, Britain and France.  Michelin, BWM and several German and Swiss textile companies were the major employers in my town. So I just got used to meeting people from all over from a very young age.  Plus, we weren't raised to think of ourselves as "Southerners" really. The South was were we lived. We primarily thought of ourselves as just Americans.  I did have some distance relatives from North Carolina that fought for the Confederacy about 150 or so years ago.  However, nobody in the family attached any importance to that. We simply thought they did what they did because they were North Carolinians and when their state called them to serve, they did. My family never got into living vicariously through our Confederate ancestors, nor have we let that define who we are.  I think we were always much more proud of my great (x6) grandfather who fought in the Revolutionary War and my Dad and my many uncles who proudly fought in the Second World War. One uncle of mine actually fought on D Day in France and my father fought in the Battle of the Bulge in the Ardennes.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2012, 03:17:26 PM »

48% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2012, 07:42:25 PM »

It's interesting that they chose slang terms as the barometer.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »

35% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee. laugh
advance test I got 63% Dixie.  Well under the Mason-Dixon Line Shocked
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:59:45 PM by jewish voice » Logged
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »

52% Dixie. Barely in Dixie

I could drive over a bridge in town out of Kentucky and into Indiana, so yep. Tongue

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
christian7777
Elder

« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2012, 09:11:35 PM »

1% Dixie. Need help digging out of the snow? Smiley
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:19:30 PM by christian7777 » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2012, 09:14:47 PM »

BTW, it's pronounced Missourah, not Misery...

People I've met from Missouri pronounce it "misery." Perhaps they are being ironic.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »

73% Dixie.  Your neck must be a just little rosy!

Which is funny because I'm from Wisconsin.

Several of the words on the test have no real regional bias, anymore at least. I grew up using many of them interchangeably.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Bigsinner
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA  (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2012, 06:25:51 PM »

38% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.

But my father was from Southern Greece.    Smiley

I just took the advanced test:  8% Dixie. Need help digging out of the snow?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:44:18 PM by Bigsinner » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2012, 11:34:20 PM »

If I answer as I spoke as a kid, I am thoroughly Southern.

Nowdays it's a mixture of South and Midwest. More of one than the other depending on who I am speaking with.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »

Haha,

This is a real score, no cheat'n

100% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?!
Wow, 100% Dixie on the advanced test too!

The funniest thing is, my wife is a direct descendant of Robert E. Lee.   Her Grandparents have his set of dishes.  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:24:08 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »

66% Dixie

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2012, 11:55:10 PM »

30% Dixie.  Too low, methinks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2012, 12:16:01 AM »

If I answer as I spoke as a kid, I am thoroughly Southern.

Nowdays it's a mixture of South and Midwest. More of one than the other depending on who I am speaking with.

The one time we spoke, I didn't detect a lick of a drawl or twang.  Your voice was lower than I expected and you seemed to enunciate a lot.  You could probably earn a decent living doing voice overs.  I did think it was odd in a funny way that the first thing you said wasn't 'hello' or some sort of greeting, but something like, "OK now, you must live further south than me." 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2012, 01:14:56 AM »

Where do you put Copperheads?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2012, 03:41:00 AM »

83% Dixie.

Glad I scored so well! Of course I prefer the term "South" to "Dixie".

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2012, 03:53:35 AM »

8% Dixie--what does that mean?

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2012, 04:09:50 AM »

45% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

I attribute this to my summers spent on the family farm in the California Central Valley.  Rural folks is rural folks.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:10:35 AM by Agia Marina » Logged

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2012, 05:12:11 AM »

8% Dixie--what does that mean?

That you're better off than most of the people on this thread  police
Luckster
Double Dipper

« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2012, 07:46:02 AM »

39% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.
Honestly, I've only ever made a few trips to "The South" - I blame it on my Southern professors.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2012, 08:12:10 AM »

I've never even visited the US and I tried to answer as honestly as I could (difficult with some of the questions to be fair) just out of curiosity. Somehow mildly Yorkshire influenced standard English comes out as 30% dixie, which was a surprise. I can only imagine it must come from that year I shared a house 3 American girls - one from Kentucky, one from Alabama and one from Tennessee! (I joke, of course, that was pre-millennium)

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »

96% Dixie

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!!!

Amen.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »

50% Dixie.  There's a reason I'm a Copperhead and not a Reb.

I always heard that Copperhead's were against the War Between the States and that many of them had Southern sympathies AND not too few actually sided with Johnny Reb. 

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2012, 11:23:08 AM »

96% Dixie

Amen.

100% Dixie. Proud, but not surprised.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2012, 11:34:45 AM »

96% Dixie

Amen.

100% Dixie. Proud, but not surprised.

The 4% non-dixie in me must be because my mom, although she grew up here, was born in California...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2012, 12:05:55 PM »

34% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2012, 02:08:11 PM »

Don't worry, you've got good Southern values.  Wink

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2012, 02:13:37 PM »

Selam
Yeah, I love peacan pie.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2012, 02:20:39 PM »

67% Dixie.Well  under the Mason-Dixon Line.

That is amazing because I was born in Bulgaria, raised in Istanbul, immigrated to Ohio, joined the military (all over) and am now in the Deep South.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2012, 02:25:32 PM »

18% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!

I really don't know where they got the 18% from... all of my answers are "Northeast" or "Great Lakes Region".  Roll Eyes

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »

Selam
Yeah, I love peacan pie.

PM me if you want my sister-in-law's best friend's grandmother's recipe for pecan pie. It's amazing!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2012, 12:53:53 PM »

50% Dixie.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2012, 04:19:11 PM »

73% rebel. not bad coming from a southerner by transplant.....Godless Yanks.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2012, 09:46:59 AM »

the only reason for the 15%, is because of the nationwide answers
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2012, 10:00:48 AM »

36% Dixie...I don't really know what any of this means, plus I've never lived outside of Florida...

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2012, 11:13:41 AM »

Florida
One of a few southern places that are northern. The others being all of Maryland and Virginia north of Charlottesville and east of Appomattox.....bunch of pagans Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
christian7777
Elder

« Reply #153 on: July 05, 2012, 02:37:37 PM »

When I took the advanced test: 19% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom!  That's 7% lower than the regular test.

When I took the advanced test I got: 0% Dixie. Need help digging out of the snow?

On the regular test I got 1%.
CatherineBrigid

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2012, 04:06:22 PM »

100% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?! (this was my score on both regular AND advanced test, lol)

Well, golly... I didn't need to take a quiz to know that, hehe.   angel Born & raised right here in the ATL... yep, I'm one of those increasingly-rare critters known as a "Native Atlantan!"  Grin

And while, sadly, General Lee is NOT my grandfather, LOL... my Greatx3 Gradfather DID fight for the 34th Georgia Infantry.  

Yeehaw, y'all. Smiley

BTW, I'm new, and this is my first post.  Grin  My real first post was gonna be much more in-depth than this (you'll note from y profile I'm...*gasp!* not orthodox... but seeking!) but the Rebel in me just couldn't pass up this thread. Wink
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 04:14:53 PM by CatherineBrigid » Logged

http://www.SNMOC.org
(St. Nicholas of Myra WR parish)

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of his han
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2012, 04:25:12 PM »

Yeehaw, y'all. Smiley

BTW, I'm new, and this is my first post.  Grin  My real first post was gonna be much more in-depth than this (you'll note from y profile I'm...*gasp!* not orthodox... but seeking!) but the Rebel in me just couldn't pass up this thread. Wink

Welcome to the forum Smiley
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2012, 04:42:33 PM »

I ain't got no yankee blood in me.  Tongue

But I am 84% Dixie.  Do you still use Confederate money?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 04:42:50 PM by Manalive » Logged

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Babalon
Resident Occultist

Faith: Gnosis
Jurisdiction: A.'.A.'.

I am everywhere the centre.

« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2012, 03:02:43 AM »

The War continues to be fought because conquered people have long memories.
what the hell does that mean?

I'm really curious.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2012, 07:22:17 AM »

The War continues to be fought because conquered people have long memories

PP

Gregory the Great
Tikhon.of.Colorado
But you can call me Trevor.
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2012, 12:33:49 PM »

36% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.

My ancestors fought for the confederacy, but my mother is from New Jersey.  Looks like my inherited eastern-ness prevailed over my heritage.

Interesting, I find that in my community (southern Co), the way you say things often depends greatly on what race/ethnic group you were raised around. 

Maybe I'm posting, maybe I'm not.  Who knows...
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2012, 11:14:51 PM »

Hey Northerners, what does midwestern sound like to you all?

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
Rufus
OC.net guru

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2012, 12:50:36 PM »

I certainly am.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2012, 11:19:17 PM »

100 percent Dixie also 100 percent unreconstructed…and not a rebel either. Had 4 gg grandfathers in the Confederacy, one nearly starved to death on Ship Island (Ft. Massachusetts} Union prison camp. Otherwise caught in the tension between being largely libertarian and also a bit of a Southern nationalist…two laws wage war in my members…the statest and anti-statist. 

For what it is worth the first shot In late unpleasantness was fired by a young Orthodox (baptized) woman. She was the daughter of a US diplomat to Russia who was born and baptized there. Her father later became the governor of S. Carolina I think. The young lady was offered the honor of lighting the fuse to discharge the first canon fired in the cause of Southern independence.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2012, 11:29:03 PM »

Hey Northerners, what does midwestern sound like to you all?

Correction--y'all.  I'm about as far dixie as one can go.  I like visiting up north but it can't take the palm and orange trees in my back yard off my mind.  Sure I got lots of Penn's woodsman and Michigander in me, but when I visit, I always seem to find myself wishing I was in Dixie again.  Rebel, no.  Dixie, yes.   
kevlev
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian (Catechumen)

Lord have mercy

« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2012, 01:15:39 AM »

Florida
One of a few southern places that are northern. The others being all of Maryland and Virginia north of Charlottesville and east of Appomattox.....bunch of pagans Smiley

PP

So true! laugh

Though I'm from the schizophrenic state of West Virginia, I somehow managed to score a 91% which is sort of funny because most people mistake me for a yinzer upon hearing me speak.

From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.
Frederic

Faith: Roman Catholicism > Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Antioch

St Frederick of Utrecht

« Reply #165 on: January 15, 2013, 01:32:07 AM »

I wish there were extra answers:

1. How do you pronounce Aunt?
My answer would be: None of above. (I pronounce 'ahnt'.)

My score: 43% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

«One cannot understand the least thing about modern civilization if one does not first realize that it is a universal conspiracy to destroy the inner life.» (George Bernanos)
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #166 on: January 15, 2013, 03:00:08 AM »

76% Dixie.  Your neck must be a just little rosy!

This is actually higher than I anticipated. I don't exactly sound like many of my fellow Louisianians (though an accent may creep out from time to time). 

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #167 on: January 15, 2013, 05:21:18 AM »

45% Dixie. That was to be expected. What I didn't expect, and found extremely interesting, is that the Great Lakes area is the closest to British usage, even more so than New England.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #168 on: January 15, 2013, 08:22:31 AM »

91% Dixie.  Is General Lee your grandfather?!

laugh

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #169 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04:21 AM »

From my vantage point, a Yankee is, by definition, a Rebel  Wink.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: