OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 01:52:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Robert - a new one for you!  (Read 826 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: June 29, 2006, 12:02:30 AM »

Here's one I've gotten a number of times over the last few weeks:

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

I wait a few minutes, and poof, back to the site again.

(Oh, BTW: I'm still getting the double-post error 3-4 times per day.  If I reload the page, though, it lets me post)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 01:10:02 AM »

All these errors are caused by:

A) A large database with lots of transactions occuring simultaneously.
which result in:
B) Server "overload" because of the CPU usage that these transactions are utilizing.

If CPU Usage > Quota --> Error message results, either site too busy or unable to connect to database. 

Bottom line is, we use a cheap host due to budget constraints.   Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.  When this site goes over its CPU quota it locks down and won't let you connect.

This has been a constant issue lately, especially with our large traffic increase over the past year.  I'm in the process of "formulating" a plan with anastasios to get the site moved over to a new host, but it hasn't reached fruition due to a few unresolved caveats and the fact that I've been pretty busy lately at my new job.

I thank you for bringing this to my attention though and have upgraded the urgency of the problem.  We don't want to drive people away because our site cannot accomodate them.  I'll be working and hopefully get us rolled over next week.

Robert
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 07:52:55 AM »

Thanks for the info, and for all the hard work!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: