OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 05:46:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evolving Dogmatics of the Church  (Read 1520 times) Average Rating: 0
authio
Elder

« on: June 26, 2006, 09:50:33 PM »

So... I was thinking about how God reveals himself, so we expand on our dogmatics (immediately coming to mind is Gregory Palamas), so....

What is the most recent update (expansion) of our Christian dogmatics that is both binding and ecumenical?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 03:34:47 PM by cleveland » Logged

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 03:35:12 PM »

Bump

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 11:41:32 PM »

Bumping it again.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 12:04:45 AM »

Warning!  I don't entirely believe / not fully formed my opinion on the matter, but I think it could be interesting for discussion with an Orthodox twist. 

So... I was thinking about how God reveals himself, so we expand on our dogmatics (immediately coming to mind is Gregory Palamas), so....

While not yet really reaching Orthodox circles, in Western Christendom the ideas of the relationship between social justice, church-state relations and Christianity are definetly undergoing some theological speculation/adaptation.  At the very least Orthodoxy needs to work out some of its growing pains of how to exist in modern Western nations in the post Turkokratia and post Communist era. 
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 12:07:20 AM »

What is the most recent update (expansion) of our Christian dogmatics that is both binding and ecumenical?

Probably the condemnation of phyletism by Constantinople 1872. Though if someone can think of a more recent accepted dogma I'm open to suggestions, just thought I'd throw in a lower limit.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 06:17:20 AM »

Bump

BUMP???
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 06:18:05 AM by Psalti Boy » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »

BUMP???

Yea - bumping it up the list of recently posted topics, so people can see it on the main page.

oh, btw: bump!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 09:47:48 PM »

Yea - bumping it up the list of recently posted topics, so people can see it on the main page.

oh, btw: bump!

OK.  So is that like the EASY button at Staples??? Huh

If I want to bump it up do I just type in bump?? Huh
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 11:31:02 PM »

You could do that, yes... some of us (like myself) are just doing the bump because we'd like to see the thread go somewhere, but have neither the time nor energy to do it ourselves...

---------------------
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 06:55:30 PM »

You could do that, yes... some of us (like myself) are just doing the bump because we'd like to see the thread go somewhere, but have neither the time nor energy to do it ourselves...

Fear not! It is I! He who should be editing a manuscript, but prefers to waste time on oc.net! (That's an appropriately long Byzantine Title to go along with Protovestiarios, no?)

If anyone wants to read the most recent authoritative sources of Orthodox teaching, they should run to the library and find E. J. Kimmel's Monumenta Fidei Ecclesiae Orientalis, and if they are particularly bright-eyed, bushy-tailed and full of boyish pluck, as Yeats would say (or was that Byron?...my High School English teacher would kill me), then also check out J. Messoloras' Symbolics.

In a certain sense, there IS no "binding and ecumenical" statement from the Orthodox Church after the various Palamite councils in the 14th century. However, there are certainly a good number of major Synods, all of which are quite authoritative and which speak to pressing theological concerns. Here are some of the most recent:

1) The correspondence of Jeremiah II, Patriarch of Constantinople, with the Tubingen theologians. These letters were read and approved (in some cases signed) by many members of the Constantinopolitan Synod, including other Patriarchs. Discusses many standard points of theology and, in general, gives the Germans a right proper heave-ho. Available in English here: http://store.holycrossbookstore.com/916586820.html

2) The various Synods that condemned the so-called Confessio Fidei Reverendissimi Domini Cyrilli, Patriarchae Constantinopolitani (known as the "Eastern Confession of the Christian Faith" by Patriarch Cyril Lukaris). This confession of Faith, published in 1629 in Latin and 1631 in Greek, claimed to be written by Patriarch Cyril, but most Orthodox scholars believe it was some sort of forgery. At any rate, the Confession basically presented straight-forward TULIP Calvinism as if it were the faith of the Greek Orthodox. Thus, one year after Cyril's death, a fairly large Constantinopolitan Synod (1638) condemned the teachings of the Confession, as did another Constantinopolitan Synod in 1639 and yet another one in Yasi (Moldovia) in 1642. Furthermore, the so-called Jerusalem Council of 1672 stated that "Cyril's Confession is not the Confession of the Eastern Church." The same Council specifically rejected double predestination and justification by faith alone, and also reiterated that the filioque is not orthodox. However, the Council denied that Cyril himself had actually written the confession (thus they condemned the writing and not the man). In general, this is an important and rather authoritative Orthodox expression of doctrine (contra both the RCC and Protestants).

3) Although not nearly as significant as point No. 2, we cannot forget the statement of Patriarchs Jeremiah III of Constantinople, Athanasios of Antioch and Chrysanthos of Jerusalem, written in 1716 to Peter the Great in response to his request to clarify the Orthodox response to Anglicans.

After this, of course, there are smaller things. Here's a list from the standard article on this topic (http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7064.asp):

Encyclical of the Synod in Constantinople in 1722 to the Orthodox Antiochians.
Confessions of Faith of the Synod in Constantinople in 1727.
Encyclical of the Synod in Constantinople in 1836; Against the Protestant Missionaries.
Encyclical of the Synod in Constantinople in 1838: Against the Latin Innovations.
Reply of the Orthodox Patriarchs of the East to Pope Pius IX in 1848.
Gregory VI, Patriarch of Constantinople: Rejection of the Pope's Invitation to the Latin Synod in Vatican, 1868.
Answer of Synod of Constantinople in 1895 to Pope Leo XIII.
Decree of the Orthodox Conference in Moscow in 1948 against Papism.
Encyclicals of the Patriarchate of Constantinople referring to the Ecumenical Movement of the Churches in 1920 and 1952.

To that I would add (possibly) the position papers of the various Orthodox Patriarchates and Churches during the Pre-Conciliar meetings (in preparation for the Great and Holy Synod) in the 60s and 70s.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 07:18:18 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: