OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 09:23:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh! I see. It's really the separation of the Christian Church and State  (Read 967 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: June 26, 2006, 09:45:07 AM »

HOWARD SCHOOLS
Board Might Continue Muslims' Early Release

By Joshua Zumbrun
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, June 22, 2006; Page B09

The Howard County school board has agreed to consider continuing a policy that has allowed Muslim students to leave school 20 minutes early on Fridays to attend prayer services.

The five-member board voted Tuesday night not to accept changes proposed by a policy review committee that would have prohibited the students from leaving early. The board will study the issue over the next school year. The board also indicated that it might be willing to continue the policy, if it would not harm student education.

Some Muslim students leave school 20 minutes early on Fridays to attend prayer services with their congregations. Over the course of a year, it adds up to a significant amount of missed instruction time, according to the committee.

The board began looking into the issue after the policy review committee discovered that the rules granting leave had been inconsistently applied. The committee recommended that religious holidays be excused, but not weekly prayers. Instead, students would be allowed to hold weekly prayers on school grounds.

School system officials are unsure how many of its 48,000 students leave for Friday prayers or would choose to do so if it were clearly allowed. At a hearing in May, officials said they were aware of five students who were leaving school campuses. Now officials say that the number is at least nine and probably higher.

"Constitutionally, we are obligated to make reasonable accommodation to those who wish to practice their religion," said Joshua M. Kaufman, chairman of the Howard County Board of Education.

Kaufman said that during the next year, the board must consider how many students would be affected, what the impact would be on teachers and whether the policy would be fair or would have unintended consequences for students of all religions.

---

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/21/AR2006062101818.html
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 10:16:43 AM »

I think that's a load of horse crap myself. Try getting time off school to go to a Divine Liturgy on a Feast Day.... it wouldn't work.

Student: "I'd like to leave school so that I can attend Divine Liturgy at my church for _______________ (insert Holy Day)."

Administration: "What religion is that?"

Student: "Orthodox."

Administration: "That's not a real religion."

Student: "Yes it is, I can prove it."

Administration: "Too bad, I don't want to hear it, now back to class"

That would be the end of it. I used to get hell from the school (when I was in grade school) for taking off on January 7th, even with a letter from my parents and the priest! But all of a sudden, one of these "other" religious groups wants something.... "Oh, okay, anything we can do to help you"  Total BS.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 10:30:00 AM »

Should have used "Orthodox Catholic".

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 10:59:03 AM »

maybe if they were afraid of us, they'd let us get time off too!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 11:33:39 AM »

maybe if they were afraid of us, they'd let us get time off too!

Thats becauce we're not too willing to blow ourselves up Wink

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 12:36:53 PM »

Afraid of us eh? Excellent idea, we should all come to our respective places of school and work dressed as biblical figures. They'll at least think we're crazy if not quite afraid... How can we lose?

-Nick

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 12:47:06 PM »

Um, I get to go home early on Fridays in the winter, for I am employed by an Orthodox Jew.

And you guys are too whiney. In Howard County, Everyone gets Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and all of Holy Week off, not to mention Easter Monday. Good Friday, the whole school system shuts down-- it wasn't that long ago that it was a state holiday.

And when I was in high school, not only did I not get Good Friday off-- I had to go to church too!
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 01:15:08 PM »

Um, I get to go home early on Fridays in the winter, for I am employed by an Orthodox Jew.

And you guys are too whiney. In Howard County, Everyone gets Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and all of Holy Week off, not to mention Easter Monday. Good Friday, the whole school system shuts down-- it wasn't that long ago that it was a state holiday.

And when I was in high school, not only did I not get Good Friday off-- I had to go to church too!

Well La De Da  Grin Thats what happens when u live in the middle of nowhere  Wink

-Nick

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 01:33:54 PM »

I shouldn't complain too much; I did get our Holy Friday off every year (with a note, of course).

But the article is talking about weekly time off from school for a religious observence.  And in that case, while I think undue favoratism is given to the Moslems that wouldn't be given to Christians, the point is moot, because if the Christian worship day was Wednesday, then Wednesday would be a day of the weekend... There wouldn't be school the whole day.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 04:04:33 PM »

Mormons left during one class period per day at my high school to the LDS church right off campus for religious instruction.  No big deal, lets not make a mountain out of mole hill.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: