OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 03:28:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Apologetic Theology / The Orthodox Church  (Read 1328 times) Average Rating: 0
kansas city

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: June 24, 2006, 06:28:26 PM »

Does anyone have outspoken views or perspective on Orthodox Apologetic Theology by I.M. Andreyev?

Reviews? What do you think?

I'm curious of the same regarding The Orthodox Church by Bishop Ware.

thomas c.
Познай себя...know yourself

Faith: serious enquirer to Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 08:06:41 PM »

Haven't read the first book, but would also be interested in hearing from anyone else who knows something about it.  As far as the The Orthodox Church, I read it awhile ago and have heard many others recommend it as a good introduction to the history of the Church.  Please excuse this vague review, as it's been awhile since I've read it.  If you read and like The Orthodox Church, check out The Orthodox Way also by Bishop Ware if you haven't already.

It is impossible to live as a Christian -- it is only possible to die as a Christian.
---Fr. Sophrony
kansas city

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 03:32:13 PM »

i was specifically curious about the seemingly negative view on Orthodox history.  As I read it, anyway, especially in the introduction of the Orthodox Church.

my interest in the first book is just general.
retzev

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 08:59:07 PM »

As an inquirer, I enjoyed THE ORTHODOX CHURCH. I didn't find the introduction negative, but I did find the latter parts of the history section a bit dry and difficult to wade through. The second section, Faith and Worship, was very informative.

I enjoy his THE ORTHODOX WAY even more. In fact, I'm on my second read-through. Great stuff.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 10:30:45 PM »

IMO, If you are looking for a good overview of Church history from an Orthodox perspective, then The Orthodox Church by Ware is about as good as it gets. I've read a few others (Nicozisin, Schmemann, etc.), and they are not even close. The theology section probably has a few rivals (Pomazansky, etc.), but those rivals don't usually have their theological discourse combined with a historical one in the same book. I've read a few critiques of the newer versions of the Orthodox Church, and while some of the points have merit, most seem rather nit-picky to me. The only two major points of contention that I've seen consistently are the following:

- Ware has softened what he says about contraception. Those against contraception see it as an outright distortion and lapse into modernism, while everyone else either doesn't care or doesn't see what the big deal is.

- Ware popularized (and perhaps coined?) the phrase about "knowing where the Church is, but not where the Church is not". Some see in this the influence of false ecumenism, others see a moderate voice that has always been present (if not always the majority) within Orthodoxy.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 10:43:19 PM »

I've been on a hunt for the first edition of The Orthodox Church to compare with the second edition I have. Supposedly Bishop Kallistos's views moderated between the two.

Has anyone here read both?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: