OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 08:45:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Light  (Read 1850 times) Average Rating: 0
t0m_dR

« on: April 10, 2003, 03:53:01 AM »

As Pascha approaches, I created this thread in order for us to share experiences and views on this Great miracle that happens each year.

www.holylight.gr

HOW THE HOLY LIGHT COMES OUT: Inside the Holy Sepulchre the Patriarch prays kneeling and reading the special wishes requesting our Lord Jesus Christ to send His Holy Light as a gift of sanctification for the people. And in the absolute quietness at the hour when the patriarch prays a wheeze is heard and almost simultaneously blue and white lightnings of Holy Light penetrate from everywhere, as though millions of photographic flashes turn on embracing the walls and all the lamps light up miraculously. In the Holy Sepulchre the torches the Patriarch holds while he prays turn on also by the Holy Light. The crowd bursts out in cheers while teardrops of joy and faith run from the eyes of the people.

For a few minutes the Holy Light doesn’t have the attributes of fire.
 This happens the first minutes after the patriarch comes out of the Holy Sepulchre and gives the Light to the people. Anyone can touch the fire of the 33 candles and he doesn’t burn. After 33 minutes the flame is normal.

prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 04:10:21 AM »

Apparently the appearance of the Holy Flame is not confined to Pascha, but makes its appearance many times throughout the year in this church.

John.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 09:48:21 AM »

Apparently the appearance of the Holy Flame is not confined to Pascha, but makes its appearance many times throughout the year in this church.

John.

I have read in detail at one time about the annual "Miracle of the Holy Fire" at the Orthodox Church of the Resurrection (Holy Sepulchre, if you insist  Roll Eyes ) in Jerusalem, John, but I've never heard of this miracle occurring at any other time than at the Orthodox Holy Pascha.  I have seen photos of this wondrous event too--what a blessing it must be to be in Jerusalem at the Church of the Resurrection on Holy Pascha to witness this annual miracle!

Hypo-Ortho
t0m_dR

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 01:15:57 AM »

John.

I have read in detail at one time about the annual "Miracle of the Holy Fire" at the Orthodox Church of the Resurrection (Holy Sepulchre, if you insist  Roll Eyes ) in Jerusalem, John, but I've never heard of this miracle occurring at any other time than at the Orthodox Holy Pascha.  I have seen photos of this wondrous event too--what a blessing it must be to be in Jerusalem at the Church of the Resurrection on Holy Pascha to witness this annual miracle!

Hypo-Ortho

I haven't heard it either! BTW: Isn't there a Video Tape about the Holy Light in the US? In Greece there are a few. I Think they could be easily translated..

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 01:19:29 AM »

Yes, there is a tape (and I too never heard any such thing of it regularly appearing throughout the year) where you see people holding the light up in their beard and with their hands in the flame. Its amazing as the light zings from here to there!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 02:38:44 AM »

I was told this by one of the Nuns at the Annunciation Monastery at Ormylia. She said that people who work in the church have witnessed many manifestations of the Holy Light throughout the year. Next time we visit the monastery I will see if I can get some more details.

John.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 08:01:08 AM »

Here is a link regarding the Armenian incident in 1517.
http://users.otenet.gr/~styliant/orthodoxia/Jerusalem1517_Eng.htm

Maybe we could all submit links we have found regarding the Holy Light?

John.
t0m_dR

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2003, 05:30:38 AM »

http://www.holyfire.org/eng/index.htm

Looks neat

prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2003, 07:53:51 AM »

Good find Tom. I don't believe this site existed last year, certainly not in this form at any rate.

I think it is in the testimony of the Russian monk Daniel that while the Orthodox believers' lamps that had been placed in the tomb were found to be lit by the Holy Flame, the lamps that had been left by the "Franks" had not been lit. This was 1106-1107.

John.
Tags: Holy Fire Church of the Holy Sepulchre Pascha Jerusalem 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: