OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 02:53:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you send your kids to Greek School?
Yes - 7 (31.8%)
No - 5 (22.7%)
I would but... - 8 (36.4%)
Not Greek School but the equivilent - 2 (9.1%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek School  (Read 2718 times) Average Rating: 0
aurelia
High Elder

« on: June 05, 2006, 03:00:12 PM »

I am curious if any of you send your kids to Greek School (or the linguistic equivilent thereof)?  Mine go,  mainly because one child's godmother (also the teacher) said it would be good for learning the litugy etc (remember we aren't Greek, so don't know it).  They just had their end of the year test, did pretty well.  One wasnts to go back, one is pitching a complete fit, for various reasons.  Luckily mine go on scholarship, there is no way I could afford it.

Anyway, please answer the poll, and give some kind of comment/reasoning etc on this, enquiring minds want to know! 
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 04:34:59 PM »

When I was younger, I went to greek school on saturday mornings and also to greek dance on wednesday evenings. I hated waking up saturday morning, but then again it was nice to see people you know from your church/community and learn new stuff especially if you had a good teacher. We had a really nice young, beautiful lady from church whom we were obliged to call "Kiria Eleni" as opposed to plain old 'Helen'.

I think it's really important that your kids learn greek especially if they're gonna be in a greek parish which uses some/lots greek language. I know demotic is different from koine greek but still, it helps ("kefalin imon=kefalia mas"- our heads).

For other nationalities also, its very important so that the kids can have some sort of connection with the culture as, which is usually tied in with the church, so its helping to kill 2 birds with one stone. My parents never force us into such things but they always strongly encourage us to partake in them.

Aurelia, when your kids are in highschool, check if your school board has international language school for a small fee of $20-30 and its a lot cheaper than the 100s you sometimes gotta dish out for private greek schools. Also, check out greek churches which often run them and the cost is not as high.

My sister goes to greek dance and its fun for her but after it's over she has a fit about how it wastes her time...so I wonder how she'll feel when we send her to greek school next year (ikes).
greggyt

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 05:08:05 PM »

Well I have no children of my own  ÃƒÆ’‚ Grin but I was sent to Greek School for 9 years, 2 hours twice a week after school.

There are many benefits to Greek School that weren't quite apparent to me when I was going, but now I see the fruit and don't regret having gone for so many years.

First If you are going to a Greek parish where the majority of Greek even though it isn't exactly the same the kids will be able to pick up little bits and pieces that they wouldn't otherwise.

Second even todays modern Greek can give enough etymological roots that your kids will start picking up on.ÂÂ  Believe it or not my English vocabulary and spelling has improved because of my knowledge of Greek.

Third, Here in New York we take regents examinations which go on your transcript and give you credit for taking a course.ÂÂ  The Greek Regents is adminstered to the Greek School students in their last year.ÂÂ  Because of this I now have two language courses on my record to show to colleges, my Greek (A 97 in the course because of the Regents)ÂÂ  and my 8 terms of Spanish (A 98 on the Spanish regents).ÂÂ  Not only does it count as a an extra course but it sets you apart because not to many students take Greek, but many take Spanish, French, or Japanese .

Fourth,ÂÂ  I met some great teachers and friends in Greek School which was an added bonus.

Fifth the Greek History, Culture, mythologyÂÂ  that they cover in Greek School helps so much later on in life.ÂÂ  My knowledge of Greek Mythology made my first term of High School English a breeze, and it continues to help in my Latin class.ÂÂ  Cheesy As an added bonus it gives me an edge against my friends when we play trivia games.

Sixth. Anything you know nowadays puts you at an advantage no matter what it is, so I highly reccomend sending your kids to Greek School.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 05:10:18 PM by greggyt » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 09:07:01 PM »

but it sets you apart because not to many students take Greek, but many take Spanish, French, or Japanese

Yup, nothing like taking a language with almost no international importance to set you apart. 

Parents who know Greek could just as easily homeschool their kids and then send them off to the local Chinese School - now that's a useful language. 
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 10:08:11 PM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9202.msg123128#msg123128 date=1149556021]
Yup, nothing like taking a language with almost no international importance to set you apart. 

Parents who know Greek could just as easily homeschool their kids and then send them off to the local Chinese School - now that's a useful language. 

[/quote]

whats your problem? almost half of your posts that i get the dispelasure to read is all anti-Greek, Anti-EP, Anti-Greek nationalist Anti Greek Constantinople..

some ortho you are.

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 12:30:24 AM »

Well said sdcheung Wink

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9202.msg123128#msg123128 date=1149556021]
Yup, nothing like taking a language with almost no international importance to set you apart.ÂÂ  

Parents who know Greek could just as easily homeschool their kids and then send them off to the local Chinese School - now that's a useful language.ÂÂ  
[/quote]
 "While your people were still swinging off of trees, Homer was writing the Iliad"...malaka re! where's the online koutala people??
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 12:43:44 AM »

malaka re

C'mon, at least use a Greek font. 
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 12:44:53 AM »

of my four kids....

One has no interest at all

one took it but quit due to his urgent need to play football

one took it and had to quit due to monetary reasons

one is to young to go to Greek school (and she also has developmental difficulties, so teaching her a new alphabet 'just ain't gonna happen')

The one who took Greek school used it as a bond with me when I was away at seminary. I could call her and speak with her, and the most difficult time for her was when the local parish said they couldn't sponsor her to take Greek any longer.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 10:57:17 AM »

Timos and GreggyT,
Very well put. Thank you!!! Every language is a treasure. I cannot forgive myself that I did not concentrate on such chances enough when I was younger.
OrthodoxAndrew
Unworthy of being called Orthodox

Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Andrew the Apostle

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 02:15:06 PM »

Learning another language is a great thing. However, I would rather spend that time with my kids teaching them Orthodoxy.

I figure between regular school, and them having time to just be kids, it would make life a little too busy for them. I would think it would end up taking too much of the time they could be learing about the Faith away. However, that's only my opinion, and I don't want to seem as if I am knocking a language school.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 02:16:58 PM by OrthodoxAndrew » Logged

"Do what you want in order to send me as soon as possible from this transient life to eternal life. I am Christ's slave, I follow Christ, for Christ I die that I may live with Him!" - St. John of Decapolis before his martyrdom at the hands of the Turkish Muslims.
greggyt

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »

Actually OrthodoxAndrew, all Greek Schools that are asociated with a Greek Parish have lessons dealing with Orthodoxy.  I first started reading lives of the saints in Greek School, and since we met twice a week for two hours each session, we would take 1 hour during one of the sessions to do a lesson in religion .  Also at the first day we met for Greek School at the beggining each month the priest would do Agiasmos (bless Holy Water and sprinkle everyone with it.  Near Holy Days the priest would usually take us to the church and show us the icon of the Holiday or saint and give us a mini lesson.  We would always  begin each lesson with a prayer.  There was an icon in each room.  Not to mention our seventh grade reading book was a modern Greek version of the New Testament.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 08:52:49 AM »

Our Greek School is associated with the Parish, the classroom is in the church. Classes are by grade during the week, and if some are practicing Greek dance,they do it on Saturdays.  Many of the older students go on to get college credit for the language, so that in itself is valuable.  So many of the people in our church speak Greek that it is a good idea to know.  I can now shout OXI  (sp)with the rest of the moms during coffe hour.  Wink And heck, I had to go to Hebrew school, now there is something I am going to speak all the time, not.  ÃƒÆ’‚ I heard more Yiddish than straight Hebrew, but darn it it helped me understand the service. (so there, Nektarios)  And I took Latin for the fun of it (yes, it as fun, I had an awesome teacher through High School).

then send them off to the local Chinese School - now that's a useful language.ÂÂ  Well, gee, my son's Godmother is Chinese, so I think that it could be handy to know.ÂÂ  Grin
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 08:54:11 AM by aurelia » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 07:43:32 PM »

ÃƒÆ’‚ I heard more Yiddish than straight Hebrew, but darn it it helped me understand the service. (so there, Nektarios)

Personally, I would find Yiddish to be very interesting since I'm studying German, but that is another issue.ÂÂ  

The problem as I see it is more with how the Greek schools that I am familar with are handled.ÂÂ  The programs don't really teach much useful Greek, nor much emphasis on Orthodoxy.ÂÂ  Instead it is just one more activity the kids are forced to do.ÂÂ  But the real thing I should be doing in volunteering to help out at my parish's Greek school, rather than whining on an internet forum.ÂÂ  Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

And I took Latin for the fun of it (yes, it as fun, I had an awesome teacher through High School).

Taking three years of Latin in high school was the best descion I made regarding academics in HS.ÂÂ  And it has proven to be much more useful than I ever imagined it would have been.ÂÂ  

As as a clarification of my earlier post in the thread - I have nothing against the Greek Language (keep in mind that I attend a Greek Church and can handle myself in Greek when I have to).ÂÂ  My complaint is more directed towards the language policy of the GOA and the rather poor quality of Greek schools at the local parishes here.  I'm sorry if my rash words caused any offence. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 07:44:12 PM by ΝεκτάρÃÅ » Logged
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 09:42:32 PM »

Well said sdcheung Wink
 "While your people were still swinging off of trees, Homer was writing the Iliad"...malaka re! where's the online koutala people??

Let's not forget the magical ÃŽÂ αντοφλα, that could make hairpin turns down the hall and into the bathroom where we would hide.  But we weren't fast enough and got it in the head anyway.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 12:43:11 PM »

I would but... I don't have kids yet!

I've found that learning Greek (I've taken classes in modern, New Testament, Liturgical, and Ancient), and Latin has empowered me to know English better (despite my diction and grammar on the internet).  Remember, many of the terms used within the Church, Medicine, and Law have Greek and Latin roots, so getting at least a basic foundation in the languages can enable your child to have a better grasp of these subjects (and for those who want upward social mobility, this education can help facilitate such movement).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 12:44:02 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 11:22:55 PM »

We don't even have this option, though we do attend a Greek parish.  It's all we have here still really.  In fact, our children (6 of them attend with us) make up 99% of all the children.
I don't know that I would send my children if they did have it, as I really don't know what all it entails.  I think Hellenic culture is interesting, but if that is what is part of Greek school I think I would pass.  Not to sound ugly or anything, I just want my children to learn what heritage they do carry and Greek isn't part of our "melting pot" of ancestory.  If it's the language, again I don't know... kinda on the fence.  Would have to consider how viable or useful that language is in our area.  If it's just teaching church history and practice, and I had the means and option-yeah I would consider it.
Rebecca
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 12:48:37 AM »

Well, more than any particular language my interests fall in the field of linguistics, so I don't believe that the opportunity to learn a language should ever be passed up, be it greek, chinese, cherokee, or anglo-saxon.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 12:50:38 AM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Tags: school Greek 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: