OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 05:07:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers for my anxiety  (Read 2317 times) Average Rating: 0
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« on: June 20, 2006, 02:20:31 PM »

I am a wife and a (stay at home) mother of two wonderful daughters with one more on the way (in 2 weeks).  I know that I am blessed but at the same time I am anxious especially for my husband who is worried about our finances and the fact that we live in such a tiny house.  Anyway last night I woke up out of a deep sleep with a full blown anxiety attack.  I tried to calm myself with the Jesus Prayer but it was very hard for me to concentrate with my heart beating so fast.  I realize that compared to other's problems this may seem small but it is scary to me.
I would be grateful if any of you would say a prayer for me and my family.  And if any of you know of some good prayer for me to offer for the relief of this anxiety.

God bless you,   Juliana
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 02:31:53 PM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

The prayers of the great saint Abba Paul be with you.  Might I recommend the Psalms.  In particular, Psalm 23.  I think there are a couple of others that may help as well although I do not know them off the top of my head.  I'll try and find them and post them later.

Please pray for me.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 07:00:23 PM »

Juliana, you are in my prayers.
I would also suggest that you report this to your doctor, as it could be "Obstructive Sleep Apnea" and you may need to have sleep studies done, especially if you woke up with shortness of breath as well as palpitations.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 07:44:30 PM »

Lord, please help your loyal servant Juliana.
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 08:47:38 PM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

As promised, here are some Psalms I hope you find helpful.

When you feel abandonded: read Psalm 10
When your world seems to fall apart: read Psalm 46
When you are afraid: read Psalms 23 and 91
When you are facing a daunting challenge: read Psalm 27
When you feel like you are barely hanging on: read Psalm 86

I hope you find these helpful and I pray you find peace.

Please pray for me.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 11:11:19 PM »

Everyone, thank you for your prayers and comforting words.  It is frustrating and disconcerting that I am having all this jitteryness when I should shake it off.  Ozgeorge, I have had a history of periodic anxiety so I do not believe it is sleep apnea; but thank you for the information.  Cephas you indeed will be in my prayers and your selection of Psalms are well chosen and heartening.

blessings to you all,   Juliana 
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 12:10:19 AM »

Juliana,

I am praying for you, your husband, and your children (both current and future).

I also am in anxious times, although I have not had an anxiety attack as you have. Where I draw comfort from is that one Scriptural quote where Jesus reassures us that the Lord knows the number of hairs on our head, so He knows what we need and when we need it.

So, things seem very uncertain right now, but your family will have what they truly need provided for them by the Lord. Jesus Himself has said so!

Now, poulaki mou, it is time to rest. Soon you will be in labor, so try to rest now.

Please let us know when your new child is born! What an exciting time!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 02:03:49 AM »

I too suffer from anxiety as well as depression.  Somewhat due to our finances as well.  I get so agitated sometimes bordering violent behavior.  My Dr. has put me on some medication and between that and my prayers I'm better.  You may want to talk to your doctor about medication after you deliver.  You and your family will be in my prayers.

Psalti Boy

PS  Talk to your parish priest.  Some parishes have funds to help in times of need.
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 06:19:27 AM »

My heart goes out to you and your family. Please tell your doctor about this, it may be very important for he/she to know so they can be fully prepared to give you the best care when you deliver that beautiful blessing. I wish I had a good prayer for you, but I would suggest you meditate on the life of the Theotokos remembering that she felt so many emotions in her life with her family.
God will not give you more than you can bear. Cry out to him as he hears you in prayer. I will pray.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: