OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 11:34:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortening Church Services??  (Read 8118 times) Average Rating: 0
BasilCan

« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2006, 08:40:19 PM »

Issues of length of services are not new or novel to North America. There were two changes to the Greek Typikon in the 19th century that were done to shorten the services (like not seeing the beatitudes during the liturgy, moving the reading of the gospel towards the end of Orthros so people will be around to hear it to name a couple). Today, our services in NA tend to be shorter than they are in the "old country" (at least for Greeks and Antiochians), we have pews to sit in and we still complain and come late for the services. This really throws me off. It's like my Greek brothers and sisters who complain of the relatively quick 1hr 15 min Liturgy (which they never make until the Little Entrance) and then go to the Greek monastery and stand for hours and say it was great.

I think current Greek and Antiochian parish "abbreviations" are enough as found in most parishes. (Let the monasteries keep the full services to show us how it is done) I also agree that the extra memorials, prayers etc. can be a little much and that some minor changes can keep the flow of the service. This requires judgement and discernment from the priest and bishop.

Basil
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2006, 09:10:13 PM »

On the other hand, in the Episcopal parish I belonged to before my conversion starting late was considered the Eighth Deadly Sin.
As it should be in the Orthodox Church.  There is no excuse for services not starting on time!

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
BJohnD

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2006, 01:21:59 PM »

As it should be in the Orthodox Church.ÂÂ  There is no excuse for services not starting on time!

I'll be sure to tell that to the priest!  Cheesy
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2006, 06:36:51 PM »

I'm sorry if I won't sound too excited about shortening a commitment to God that it, at its longest, 1/56 of the week (3 hours).

Having grown up with children around, not all of them have to be near-ADHD during services.  If from a young age they are exposed to the whole service, then they'll be able to take it.  The kids that come regularly to Sunday services at Holy Cross Chapel, for example, don't get the shortest service, and a few of them are brought in halfway during Matins.  Guess what happens when Holy Week comes?  They can handle the lengthened serves in stride, no worse than we do.

When people drop off their kids at church Sunday morning and then go out for coffee, however (yes, it happens... I've seen it) then of course the kids will become fidgety in the services - they've gotten there late, never been on time, so the Liturgy seems like forever.

I see this all as being assisted by the short-attention-span culture we've promoted here.  It's not the cause, but it's giving quite a boost to the difficulties with standing through Liturgy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Sean

Faith: Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2006, 11:49:02 AM »

I also don't believe the services need to be shortened. Some could argue that the St. John Chrysostom Liturgy was an abbreviation of the St. Basil's Liturgy, which in turn was an abbreviation of the proto-liturgy of St. James. I believe that we do not have legitimate reasons to abbreviate the Liturgy further. Proponents of abbreviated Liturgies usually follow the tenets of modernism, which is the spiritual captivity of the Church to Western Culture.
       To give a practical analogy, if your foot is ailing, you wouldn't just quickly dip it in some water. You would let it soak. If children keep getting distracted away from the Liturgy with Sunday School, cry-room time, or simply being allowed by their exasperated parents to run around outside and play, these crutches will never allow them to grow in the liturgical life of the Church. You don't have to be your kid's pal. There is a time to be stern when they get out of line in Church. I disciplined my daughter when she was very little for disruptions during Liturgy, and now she's one of the best behaved kids in Church (of course, I may be a bit biassed. Wink     

THE CRUX OF THE BISCUIT IS THE APOSTROPHE.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2006, 11:54:42 AM »

As it should be in the Orthodox Church.  There is no excuse for services not starting on time!

Hmmm, I think both my Greek and Carpatho-Rusyn priests have internally synchronized atomic clocks. Services always begin exactly as scheduled.  Smiley

Shorten services? Never
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 11:55:39 AM by ΑριστÎÂà » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2006, 10:50:31 PM »

Welcome Sean!!!

I pray that you continue to post with the true 'Orthodox' insight needed  on this website.

Thanks for your post.

And God bless you and your family.

It appears that you are raising your children in an Orthodox 'way' of raising; teaching them the rigors of the true worship while they are formative as we all should be doing and wanting to do for our children and our loved ones.

Orthodoxy is a way of life. The liturgy is our heritage a way to stay on line with our faith. The earlier we learn the better.

We teach our kids all kinds of things to put them "ahead" of the pack (if you will) in this world. But Christian fortitude seems to be something that comes with convenience. At lease for some. Maybe for too many.

The scripture teaches: O my brethren love not the world; neither the things that are in the world. For the world is passing away and the lust thereof for all is passing.

So many people on this thread need good Orthodox points of view like your. Myself included.

I am grateful for your insight.

Again thanks and God bless you.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2006, 11:20:00 PM »

Ok, at this parish I sometimes go to and learn to chant at, the liturgy is "shortened" by not doing the small litany in between the "through the prayers of the Theotokos" and "Save us o Son of God" which is a repetition of "help us save us....rememebering our most..."
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2006, 11:23:02 PM »

---no ending there...neways as a result, the liturgy is about an hour long instead of 3. I like the 3 hour liturgies but its just hard when the litle kids give such a hard time. I sometimes think they won't like church at all and would stop coming all together when older because they remembered long services. Although what mosty parents want is for their children to love the liturgy.
kelfar

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Byzantine Chant

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2006, 03:59:52 AM »

In my opinion, there is no need to make our liturgies shorter. Current Greek and Antiochian practice is good enough forÂÂ  none-monastic Divine Liturgies.ÂÂ  For example, in Greek and Antiochian churches we chant for the First Antiphon: "Thru the intercessions of the Theotokos," instead of Psalm 102: "Bless the Lord, o my Soul...."

A Liturgy with one celebrant, no deacon, choir, no homily, no one receiving holy communion, should take approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes.ÂÂ  Let us add maximum of 10m for theÂÂ  homily,ÂÂ  20m for communion. Greek/Antiochian liturgy should take at least approx. 1hr30- to 1hr40m.

Here is a the order of the Liturgy with the approximate time for each part.

1. The Great Litany in Tone 8ÂÂ  - approx: 5:40m
2. The First Antiphon in Tone 2 — 56 seconds
3. The Little Litany in Tone 8 — 1:35m
4. The Second Antiphon in Tone 2 2:35m
5. The Little Litany in Tone 8 — 1:35m
6. The Third Antiphon —ÂÂ  
Troparion for the Resurrection in Tone 1 While the stone…
  ÃƒÆ’‚ & the Little Entrance Hymn
  ÃƒÆ’‚ & the Kontakion to the Theotokos for ordinary Sundays. 4:00m
7. Holy God in Tone 2 — 3:50m
8. The Epistle reading — Alleluia in Tone 2 — approx 4m
9. The Gospel reading — Glory to Thee, O Lord…in Tone 8 — approx 4m ÂÂ  
10. The Cherubic Hymn in Tone 1 — approx 8m
11. The Litany of Supplication in Tone 5 (enharmonic) —5m
12. The Peace in Tone 5 (enharmonic) and the Creed - 2m
13. The Anaphora in Tone 5 (enharmonic) — 5m
14. Megalynarion in Tone 5(enharmonic) It is truly meet… - 2-3m
15. Among the first be mindful, O Lord, of our Father,ÂÂ  1:23m
16. The Litany Before the Lord's Prayer in Tone 8 & 5(enharmonic)
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  & The Lord's Prayer
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  & One is Holy….  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ 3:50m
17. Communion Hymn - Praise the Lord in Tone 8 — 4m
18. Blessed is He in Tone 2ÂÂ  
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  & Receive me today in Tone 8 (Ga)
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  & We have seen the true light in Tone 2
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  *Thanksgiving After Holy Communion*
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ Let our mouths be filled with Thy praise in Tone 5
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ & The Litany of Thanksgiving  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  -5m
19. The prayer behind the Ambon —1m
20. Blessed be the Name of the Lord in Tone 2ÂÂ  -2m
21. The Dismissal — 1:20m

In Christ,

SBDK
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 12:20:33 PM by kelfar » Logged
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2006, 04:09:01 AM »

In my opinion, there is no need to make our liturgies shorter. Current Greek and Antiochian practice is good enough forÂÂ  none-monastic Divine Liturgies.ÂÂ  For example, in Greek and Antiochian churches we chant for the First Antiphon: "Thru the intercessions of the Theotokos," instead of Psalm 102: "Bless the Lord, o my Soul...."

A Liturgy with one celebrant, no deacon, choir, no homily, no one receiving holy communion, should take approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes.ÂÂ  Let us add maximum of 10m for theÂÂ  homily,ÂÂ  20m for communion. Greek/Antiochian liturgy should take at least approx. 1hr30- to 1hr40m.

Here is a the order of the Liturgy with the approximate time for each part.

1. The Great Litany in Tone 8ÂÂ  - approx: 5:40m
2. The First Antiphon in Tone 2 — 56 seconds
3. The Little Litany in Tone 8 — 1:35m
4. The Second Antiphon in Tone 2 2:35m
5. The Little Litany in Tone 8 — 1:35m
6. The Third Antiphon —ÂÂ  
Troparion for the Resurrection in Tone 1 While the stone…
  ÃƒÆ’‚ & the Little Entrance Hymn
  ÃƒÆ’‚ & the Kontakion to the Theotokos for ordinary Sundays. 4:00m
7. Holy God in Tone 2 — 3:50m
8. The Epistle reading — Alleluia in Tone 2 — approx 4m
9. The Gospel reading — Glory to Thee, O Lord…in Tone 8 — approx 4m ÂÂ  
10. The Cherubic Hymn in Tone 1 — approx 8m
11. The Litany of Supplication in Tone 5 (enharmonic) —5m
12. The Peace in Tone 5 (enharmonic) and the Creed - 2m
13. The Anaphora in Tone 5 (enharmonic) — 5m
14. Megalynarion in Tone 5(enharmonic) It is truly meet… - 2-3m
15. Among the first be mindful, O Lord, of our Father,ÂÂ  1:23m
16. The Litany Before the Lord's Prayer in Tone 8 & 5(enharmonic)
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  & The Lord's Prayer
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  & One is Holy….  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ 3:50m
17. Communion Hymn - Praise the Lord in Tone 8 — 4m
18. Blessed is He in Tone 2ÂÂ  
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  & Receive me today in Tone 8 (Ga)
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  & We have seen the true light in Tone 2
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  *Thanksgiving After Holy Communion*
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ Let our mouths be filled with Thy praise in Tone 5
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ & The Litany of Thanksgiving  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  -5m
19. The prayer behind the Ambon —1m
20. Blessed be the Name of the Lord in Tone 2ÂÂ  -2m
21. The Dismissal — 1:20m

In Christ,

SBDK

WOW!!! I thought I paid attention during Divine Liturgy.  Good job.
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2006, 08:22:34 PM »

Thats a long time!

We start at 10 and are done by 11:30. 11:45 if there's a memorial.

We start liturgy @ 10 sunday mornings and end by 12 if we're lucky, but with memorials it can go into 12.15-12.30 noon.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2006, 01:13:37 PM »

So far as keeping Children interested, we bring age-appropriate Bible storybooks for them to read whenever they start getting restless.

Shortening the Liturgy certainly seems synonymous to shortening our service to God. Why would we want that?
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2006, 03:42:27 AM »

then why don't the youth come to church? Even some all english speaking parishes (in north america) barely have any youth..I wonder what it is about religion that throws youth so far off...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2006, 03:51:10 AM »

Actually, statistically, young people are more "religious" than anyone else. Of course, they might just appear "religious" because their parents make them go to church or something, I don't know. Still, I've read that when they measure the religiosity of people, the highest level is in children and early teens, then the level starts to drop dramatically in the mid to late teens and early twenties, and then somewhat levels off with a small decline for the next fifty or sixty years, at which point there is a slight increase again in old age.
BasilCan

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2006, 04:06:39 PM »

I recently visited an Antiochian friend at his parish, and their Bishop now has them:

1) combine some litanies so there are not as many "Lord, have mercies"
2) Omit even the 4 litanies before the Lord's prayer.
3) Postpone signing "We praise the, we bless the" till the prayer that follows "Changing them by thy Holy Spirit"

It was awful and confusion.  What is up with that?

Basil
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2006, 04:43:03 PM »

I recently visited an Antiochian friend at his parish, and their Bishop now has them:

1) combine some litanies so there are not as many "Lord, have mercies"
2) Omit even the 4 litanies before the Lord's prayer.
3) Postpone signing "We praise the, we bless the" till the prayer that follows "Changing them by thy Holy Spirit"

It was awful and confusion.ÂÂ  What is up with that?

Basil

Perhaps their Bishop has a greater understanding of the Spiritual Needs of His Flock than a random outside observer; I'm sure that the service sounds perfectly natural and is spiritually uplifting to the community in question.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2006, 01:24:43 PM »

Our head Priests during the most recent clergy meeting had to discuss the fact that after the Liturgy which is already 3 hours typically; longer on feast days making the worship service longer. Yes! longer.

Seems that people are lingering around after service and BIble study.

The Clergy is looking for ways to usefully use the time people linger to include worship elements.

Not likely that Ethiopian Churches will be shortening the services at any forseable future.

Thank God.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2006, 05:00:37 PM »

Well, if you want to keep the little ones entertained, you could always do what the people in my church do, just let your kids run around in the Narthex for the entire service. It seems to work, the kids are quiet and there hasn't been any major disruption of any kind so far....

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2006, 07:55:31 PM »

then why don't the youth come to church? Even some all english speaking parishes (in north america) barely have any youth..I wonder what it is about religion that throws youth so far off...
It's my experience that this is particularly true when the weekly visit to Church is the only expression of the family's Orthodoxy and the family church does not exist.
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2006, 01:19:03 AM »

It's my experience that this is particularly true when the weekly visit to Church is the only expression of the family's Orthodoxy and the family church does not exist.

So then it goes back to the family...which makes perfect sense. I'm thinking of the early Christian martyrs. They couldn't necessarily rely on a daily or weekly or even monthly 'supply' of church-going to nurture them spiritually because of persecution. I remember reading a story of Marina the Great Martyr and how she could not go to church with her other (adoptive) sisters living in the same house as her, so the 'mother' would take the dangerous trip to and fro the church and tell the girls what the feast day and homily was about. Thats kind of sad that many of our eastern orthodox churches, oca, greek, even other churches likes coptic, and catholic are full of old ppl or somewhat-empty most of the year. I wonder how the church will be in 50 or 100 years time...empty/closed down parishes or parishes which barely survive because ppl are 'forced' to come just to keep the church alive.
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2006, 01:43:14 PM »

You want shorter Liturgies? Get rid of the choir and have a single cantor do the responses.  You'll do the whole thing and be out in an hour twenty flat.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2006, 03:04:19 AM »

Well, if you want to keep the little ones entertained, you could always do what the people in my church do, just let your kids run around in the Narthex for the entire service. It seems to work, the kids are quiet and there hasn't been any major disruption of any kind so far....

-Nick

Or you could do what they did in a parish that I once attended . . . let the kids run around the nave. My 3 year old (at that time, he's 4 now) kept asking us why the kids are running around.  I guess Γιαγια & Παππου taught him well.  He would sit through the entire Liturgy quieter than the adults sitting in the back talking about last night's ball game.  The Altar boys would even poke and slap each other, make faces and laugh . . . and neither the priest, deacon or their parents ever spoke to them about it.

PB
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 03:05:42 AM by Psalti Boy » Logged
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2006, 11:06:38 AM »

There were two changes to the Greek Typikon in the 19th century that were done to shorten the services (like not seeing the beatitudes during the liturgy, moving the reading of the gospel towards the end of Orthros so people will be around to hear it to name a couple).

My understanding is actually what the Patriarch of Constantinople did was formalize and codify changes that were already taking place in various places in a haphazard manner.  I think the heart of the issue is that non monastic parish churches were struggling to maintain the monastic typikons which had come to predominate the liturgical life of the church.  That is probably still the issue.

It may very well be that I am not fully Orthodox, but to be honest after about an hour and a half I start to lose focus (speaking of the normal weekly liturgy I should say).  I know we should enjoy the liturgy if it went on for hours and hours, etc., but I know I couldn’t do it.  My daughter can pretty much tolerate the full liturgy, but my son can only go so long.  Having Sunday School after communion to me is a blessing, because they are both ready to do something different at that point.  Often my wife or I will spend as much time corralling my son as we will following along with the service.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 11:07:35 AM by welkodox » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: