OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 02:17:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deer hunting  (Read 1553 times) Average Rating: 0
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: June 16, 2006, 11:57:56 AM »

I have deer hunted since the age of 16. I'm just curious what the orthodox view on this type of hunting or any type of hunting is in general. Thanks

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 12:10:41 PM »

I have deer hunted since the age of 16. I'm just curious what the orthodox view on this type of hunting or any type of hunting is in general. Thanks

The pious and Orthodox laity have hunted deer since the Church made its way into the country side. Many faithful Orthodox go hunting for deer and other food in Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, Russia, et al. There are no prohibitions of any kind against such an activity. Of course, it only makes good sense to eat the food one kills!

(There are, of course, canonical prohibitions for clergy. A clergyman -- defined in this case, according to the Byzantine canonists, as anyone who is a Subdeacon or above -- should never engage in any form of violence, and should certainly never kill any person or any animal. In fact, even involuntary murder -- of people, not animals -- is listed as an absolute impediment to ordination. Thus, clergy cannot hunt or act as soldiers.)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 12:12:19 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 12:16:35 PM »

You mean that you'd actually shoot poor, little, Bambi?  You wretch!  Wink

Just kidding.

I'm not aware of any canons or anything that even address the topic of hunting.  Perhaps it is a question for your priest?  Maybe others can contribute more.

In Christ,

Michael

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 12:22:30 PM »

If you are going to eat it, I don't see the problem. If for pure sport, I think this would be wrong.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 12:23:40 PM »

I'm curious; how does deer taste?

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 12:48:33 PM »

Venison tastes absolutely divine.  Although, some claim that in heaven there is no meat, we the true faithful no better.  They serve venison and lamb chop.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 12:49:23 PM by dantxny » Logged

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 12:54:43 PM »

A little greasy, thicker, but good.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 12:55:05 PM »

I've also eaten squirrel once. Now I couldn't do that as I think they are too cute but I had to try it once when offered.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 01:06:07 PM »

Well, besides having lived in Louisiana, I also lived in Kentucky...

One KY tradition is to have squirrel heads on Sundays (this was actually a problem a few years ago when rabies was rampant among the KY squirrel population)...

When I lived in KY was also in my firefighting days. Often the station captain would have his wife drop off a big bag of squirrel heads---enough for all of us at the station to have the traditional meal---and we'd skin them, boil em, and eat them Sunday at noontime. You'd crack open the skulls and pick out the brain like nutmeat! Quite the display we'd put on for the folks coming home from church--the entire fire station outside on the apron (driveway) sitting in lounge chairs with big piles of squirrel skulls at our feet!  Cheesy

I also have had venison. The roasts do taste as described, but my favorite way is actually as fondue. Chop the meat into small pieces, get some oil going, get beer and friends together--that's good eating! Jerky and sausage is also great!

I've also eaten raccoon, rabbit, turtle, and alligator--all in Louisiana.

As I used to have in my sig line---my 'hidden' secret is that I score embarassingly high on those "You may be a redneck if..." quizzes!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 01:51:44 PM »

This makes me feel much better. The truth is that I enjoy hunting. I have also mounted the heads on some of the deer I shot. Is this wrong? Is this some kind of Idle worship or pride? Bucks are very majestic creatures. I shot an 8 pointer last year witch is ready to be picked up at the taxidermist. 8 pointers are pretty hard to come by. I guess it could be considered somewhat prideful to display a deer head if one is being prideful of what he shot. What would you make of that. BTW: I eat the meat from the deer I kill.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 01:52:18 PM by Demetrios G. » Logged

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 02:12:17 PM »

A little greasy, thicker, but good.

You're kidding, right?
If you said goose or bear or groundhog, I'd say "greasy" but venison's so lean it's my fav for chili meat  Smiley

(Demetri doesn't hunt; he fishes. He does let friends shoot off a deer for him on his own farm however. Yummy)  Cheesy

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
NickolaiOJ

Jurisdiction: OCA

Forgive Me, the Sinner.

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 03:49:53 PM »

A little like beef, just tougher, and there is a little bit of another taste that's kind of hard to decribe.ÂÂ  I usually would only use venison if It was for a heavily spiced dish, as it's not my favorite meat (I'd rather have buffalo).ÂÂ  
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:50:20 PM by NickolaiOJ » Logged
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 04:17:31 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9292.msg124682#msg124682 date=1150481537]
You're kidding, right?
If you said goose or bear or groundhog, I'd say "greasy" but venison's so lean it's my fav for chili meatÂÂ  Smiley

(Demetri doesn't hunt; he fishes. He does let friends shoot off a deer for him on his own farm however. Yummy)ÂÂ  Cheesy
[/quote]

In fact it is so lean that when we tried making deer burgers we had to mix it with regular ground chuck because the meat tended to break apart.  No fat to hold it together.

JoeS
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 04:37:00 PM »

Venison is good, but I prefer elk. It has a comprable flavour to venison but is a bit milder. Makes excellent steaks.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 05:46:13 PM »

Many years ago, I ate what my mom said was rabbit.  I'm kinda suspicious, though, since I remember it tasting like chicken.

I've also eaten raccoon, rabbit, turtle, and alligator--all in Louisiana.
I've also eaten octopus, ducks' feet, and sea snails--all during my three-week tour of China several years ago.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 05:49:02 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 06:01:26 PM »

(There are, of course, canonical prohibitions for clergy. A clergyman -- defined in this case, according to the Byzantine canonists, as anyone who is a Subdeacon or above -- should never engage in any form of violence, and should certainly never kill any person or any animal. In fact, even involuntary murder -- of people, not animals -- is listed as an absolute impediment to ordination. Thus, clergy cannot hunt or act as soldiers.)
I've also heard that being involved in a fatal car accident is an automatic impediment to ordination or continued service in the clergy.  Has anyone else heard of this?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: