OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:52:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 1378 times) Average Rating: 0
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« on: June 15, 2006, 06:28:04 PM »

Well, Although I can see this going in other, I can also quickly see it becomming free-for-all.  Wink
So, to any fishermen out there, I can use some advice and techniques and anyone who else wishes to share fish stores.  I've really gotten into fishing as of late, but often I find myself just bobber watching or practicing my casting.  Normally, I have gone for catfish, but I'd also like to shoot for black bass, too.  So what techniques help an amature boatless fisherman that doesn't catch any fish?
I should get practice for the next fast. lol
Daniel

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 06:38:38 PM »

Get a boat. I'm serious. Even an inflatable boat with plastic oars. Fishing, for me is as much a meditation as a hobby and source of food, and there is something about detatching oneself from the land and entering the fishy realm- I think the fish respect you more for it.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 06:45:31 PM »

Well, I am just an occasional fisherman lately... Not an expert. I never owned a boat. But friends of my do so. Since I first tried fishing from a boat, I love it. More relaxing, so to speak.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 07:44:47 PM »

Nah, no boat is needed, find a nice stream or small lake/pond, preferably in the mountains, bring along a 6 pack of your favourite beer, cast your pole, and enjoy yourself. Hopefully the fish won't bother you too much, just enough for a little excitement now and then. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 07:47:31 PM »

Save boat money. Go to Texas coast and surf cast - my favorite variety of fishing.  Grin

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 08:01:50 PM »

haven't fished in a long time.
only 3 fish I caught as a Kid and they ended up in my Fish tank lived to be 7 years or so.
small lil things

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 08:14:28 PM »

Fishing from the shore, warf, or stream/river bank is the "catechumenate" of fishing.

bring along a 6 pack of your favourite beer,
Absolutely. Almost as necessary as a boat. Wink

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
NickolaiOJ

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Forgive Me, the Sinner.

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 09:48:09 PM »

It's too bad I'm not allowed to fish anymore, (ever since my tonsuring) as I did really enjoy it.ÂÂ  Oh well, I can always go fishing with friends as long as I don't kill anything.

Reader Nikolai
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 09:48:42 PM by NickolaiOJ » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 10:29:42 PM »

It's too bad I'm not allowed to fish anymore, (ever since my tonsuring) as I did really enjoy it.  Oh well, I can always go fishing with friends as long as I don't kill anything.

Reader Nikolai

Really?  Never heard of that.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 01:53:53 AM »

Fishing is, in fact, very fun, but I haven't had the chance since I had to go to seminary.

Now, you can't beat this for fun: getting together with some of your friends for crabbing or crawfishing. This former Louisianan has had many a day in and by the bayou catchin' dinner and drinkin' lunch under a hot sun... Wink

God, how I wish I were there now...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 01:54:46 AM by chris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 02:06:08 AM »

I remember going after crawfishing.  I don't know how y'all did it in LA, but when I was young *an irnoinc statement, but suited to fish stories*, we'd just go to the creek behind our homes and go catching those suckers with our bare hands.  Of course, you'd try to get home and wash up before mom smelled you. 

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 09:38:35 AM »

Fishing from the shore, warf, or stream/river bank is the "catechumenate" of fishing.
Absolutely. Almost as necessary as a boat. Wink

Obviously you have never (understandably) hooked an 60# Channel Bass (Red Drum), a 25# Atlantic Bluefish, a 150# Bull Shark, or a 60# Columbia River Sturgeon from shore before.  Cheesy
Bag the boat...buy more beer.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 10:37:43 AM »

Fresh water fishing is good clean fun, but drop the bobber and use a lure.  And as soon as you get a chance, head for the coast for some salt water fishing.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 11:33:42 AM »

Dan,

I'm a bit of a fishing nut (although I only fish fresh water - because of motion sickness on big water).

Generally I fish for Bass (Largemouth and Smallmouth), Walleye, Muskie and Northern Pike.

Its tough to really tell you about fishing if you are in NYC.  Either you get out on a charter on hit the big water or you get to NJ, CT or upstate NY for some fresh water fishing.  As for fishing techniques... it all depends what your fishing for, but I'll give you some guidelines.

Bass (largemouth and small):  Early in the morning, when the water is very still, I like to use a top water bait (lure).  Something like a "popper" or "torpedo".  Cast, let the bait sit on top of the water, give it a small jerk, than real it two or three times.  Let the bait sit still for a second or two.  It's in those "still" moments that a bass will hit it.

Also, always fish for bass in cover.  Hydrilla, lilly pads, stumps... you name it.  NEVER off of a sandy bottom.

Miday, I like using a crank bait or a spinner bait.  Cast and real and try to cover a lot of water.

Dusk:  Back to topwater.

Walleye:   Deep diving crankbaits, slow retrieve on the cast.

Muskie:  Only way to catch a decent Muskie is trolling at a high speed with pretty heavy equipment.  I've caught a 46" Muskie (which isn't that big for a Muskie), so be prepared for a monster.

However, having said all of this, my favorite bait is a 4 inch floating Rapala which is orange in color.  It truly is deadly and what I catch most of my fish on.  You've got to crank it pretty fast, but it really gets the job done.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 02:23:13 PM »

If you are from the NYC area I'd suggest you try blue fishing. In Sheepshead bay, Brooklyn. There are tons of party boats that go out everyday. I try to go out on them at least once a year. I prefer night fishing for blue's. Pound for pound the best fighting fish there is.  BTW: I strictly use spinning lures when I fresh water fish. SouthSerb99  gave excellent advice.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: