OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 01:58:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Over opinionated New Member here  (Read 8490 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2006, 09:05:24 PM »

actually Anastasios i would say that you yoursef are agressive as well...ive been reading your posts for awhile too and and whilst in many circustances I agree with you in many I do not...

I beleive that I am a hardliner, and am sometimes agressive here because this is my forum (along with Robert), but I don't act like this on the Catholic forums I post on, as that would be overaggressive--the difference is the context.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2006, 09:07:59 PM »

Proper protocol is to be polite and friendly and ease your way onto the board??? sure and attcking someones spelling is polite and friendly is it?

Im actually also a gust and amember at other message boards both Roman and Eastern Catholic....and the Orthodox who post their are so rude its not funny...trust me im nothing compared to some of the Posts Orthodox deliver to Catholic message boards....the is one diffence however...Catjolics dont feel the need to ceneror what an Orthodox perosn says (unless its really bad) howver it quiet clear that orthodox get offened from the smallest things...yet they dont seem to mind offending other...It wont chage my decison to join Orthoodxy...but all i can say is thank God my future parish, and Preist are more open minded than this

You must have never posted at forums.catholic.com or yourcatholic.com.

forums.catholic-convert.com on the other hand is a great RC board with hardly any censorship.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2006, 09:10:29 PM »

and i know ive bought this up b4...but limited forms of intercommunion have existed between Catholic and Orthodox after the great schism (manily in places where Latin and Byzantine's have been living togehter) but also during the Fall of Byzantium...I think a shame to be so legalist about it...cause it evident from the fall of Byzantium that we can put aside what divides us and come together and even commune togehter

Since you seem to know so much about history, you probably also know that the Athonites and others broke communion with these neo-unionists when they did this in the 16th century.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2006, 09:16:06 PM »

to greekischristian: Im sorry if u think i waz being rude....but in one of the first replies I recieved i waz called a "Blaspheming Relativistic Ecumenist" name calling like that doesnt go down well with me...for nothing else than expressing my opinion...so I doubt very much that I stared the rudeness

sdcheung is known for his in your face posting style; many don't share an appreciation for the way he says things oftentimes so don't think it's representative of the board. That being said, I have met him in person several times and think he is a likeable fellow in real life. I am not sure why some people are nice in person but aggressive online but I think the anonymity of the medium contributes.  At any rate, on this board you should take each person for themselves and not think there is a "general board way of thinking" because we have strived to make this board varied and open to many different people. You will be welcome to continue to post your beliefs as long as you do not try to verbally mow others down.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2006, 09:26:59 PM »

Well, I think everyone on this forum is lovely.
Mind you, I'm on very strong pain-killers at the moment. Cheesy

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Bonaventure

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2006, 11:29:45 PM »

forums.catholic-convert.com on the other hand is a great RC board with hardly any censorship.

Anastasios

And we always are glad when you stop by Anastasios  Smiley

I have seen Anastasios on a Catholic Board and I can vouch for the fact that he is certainly not aggresive.

If anyone shall not confess the holy ever-virgin Mary, truly and properly the Mother of God, to be higher than every creature whether visible or invisible, and does not with sincere faith seek her intercessions as of one having confidence in her access to our God, let him be anathema Nicea II
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2006, 09:13:43 AM »

would at this point like to state I am currently (until the 24th) a Catholic…however its not my status as a Catholic (soon to be former Catholic)

Sorry, I am coming in late. RI you will not be a former catholic. You will be truly catholic. Remember the creed: "I beleive in one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church..."

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2006, 09:31:15 AM »

Sorry, I am coming in late. RI you will not be a former catholic. You will be truly catholic. Remember the creed: "I beleive in one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church..."

Thanks, aserb.
That needed to be stated. Obvious to us, but not always apparent to others.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 10:44:05 AM by ΑριστÎÂà » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2006, 10:00:33 AM »

Conditional  love amusgst Christians...now ive really heard the dark side of Christianity Undecided

The dark side of Christianity is in the Vatican
Romanum Imperium

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2006, 10:08:43 AM »

thank you aserb for your message...though when i was writing that i was actaully refering to the Latin or Western Catholic Church...I have always  believed in the Catholicity of the Orthodox faith

Pray for us Most Holy Theotokos, Beloved in both the East and West.
Romanum Imperium

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2006, 10:11:14 AM »

No TomS  the Dark side of Christianity are those who are bigots in Gods name.

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2006, 10:19:48 AM »

No TomSÂÂ  the Dark side of Christianity are those who are bigots in Gods name.

If a Church Father rose from the dead, 99% of people today would consider him a wacko, an extremist, a bigot.

I always find it interesting when people call those who see the Faith as a simple choice between right and wrong as bigots. Read the history of the Church. ALL of them would be considered bigots in your eyes.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 10:20:03 AM by TomS » Logged
Romanum Imperium

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2006, 10:33:46 AM »

you are very true...but your also very wrong...I realise that with Non-Christian Religions and the Protestant faith we need to stand firm our ground (yet in a charitable way! condeming someones elses faith as "the Dark side of Christianity" is hardly charitable for a start) but Catholics and Orthodox need to work their differnces out and thankfuly alot of the Orthodox Patriarchs are ready and willing and to do so...its a shame that cant be said for alot of the laymen.

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2006, 10:34:30 AM »

I would simply like to note that Romanum Imperium has yet to reference or quote a single source for his theses (even a quote from Olivier Clement would be appreciated!), nor has he answered Athanasios' very polite and reasonable request to describe "on what basis in Orthodox concilar decisions, encyclicals, and writings" Romanum Imperium has reached his conclusions.

Such is quite unfortunate. I had expected to sign on today and find at least some evidence, but, instead, I found a repetition of the thesis and (at least three) more condemnations as inferior Christians for all those who disagree with Romanun Imperium's thesis, as well as the strangely contradictory accusation that everyone else was being rude.

I'm not sure how other message boards operate, but on this board it is customary to (a) support one's argument with specific references to primary and secondary sources, both online and in print, and (b) to refrain from condemning people who ask for such references.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2006, 11:55:32 AM »

..but Catholics and Orthodox need to work their differnces out and thankfuly alot of the Orthodox Patriarchs are ready and willing and to do so...its a shame that cant be said for alot of the laymen.

Really? Read the responses of the Church Fathers in defense of Orthodoxy against other forms of christian theology. They were not so charitable as you would have liked them to be.

Likewise it is the same between the corruption of the Faith by the RC's.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2006, 06:06:37 PM »

Oh my God everyone is jumping on RI's back. This guy is converting to Orthodoxy. We should rejoince and through a Chrismation party.  I'll bring the slivovitz.

You know there is a lot of old yaya's and baba's out there who couldn't quote one iota of theology with us learned men and women, yet they have kept the faith in their heart and in the church, and there treasure is in heaven, not here.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Romanum Imperium

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2006, 04:02:02 AM »

thank you aserb for your defence...much appricated

For the rest of you: This is from The North American Orthodox-Catholic Theological Consultation
SCOBA Chairman: Metropolitan Maximos of Pittsburgh
Catholic Chairman: Archbishop Daniel E. Pilarczyk of Cincinnati

The Importance of Dialogue

We are aware that the ecumenical enterprise is considered highly suspect in some circles within both our churches. Indeed, a professed anti-ecumenism is the hallmark of some uncanonical Orthodox bodies, and similar ways of thinking have a significant following within the canonical Orthodox churches as well. Within the Catholic Church, despite the affirmation of the central importance of ecumenical dialogue expressed by the Second Vatican Council as well as by hierarchical and theological leadership on both world and regional levels, there are still groups which remain apathetic towards, or even directly opposed to the spirit of ecumenism.

Even though on the surface these Catholic and Orthodox groups which oppose ecumenical dialogue appear to have diametrically opposed theological beliefs, there are certain underlying characteristics that they hold in common. They tend, first of all, to be convinced that theirs is the only true Church, and that outside its visible boundaries there can be nothing but error and confusion. Thus there is the tendency to see the world in black and white: there is either the Church in its fullness, or there is utter darkness. This is usually coupled with the conviction that "the world," along with other Christian churches and world religions, is unrelentingly hostile to the one Church, which stands in radical contradiction to it. In this way of thinking, to enter into dialogue with other Christian bodies is to run the risk of exposing the Church to the possibility of compromise or syncretism, and even to the loss of the Christian faith itself. According to this view, the only acceptable form of Christian dialogue is to proclaim the truth one possesses, in the hope that the others will recognize their errors and return to the one Church.

We recognize that some concerns of these adversaries of ecumenism have a certain merit. The Christian faith is indeed a precious gift from God, and cannot in any way be negotiated or compromised. Moreover, both the Catholic and Orthodox Churches have a strong sense of possessing, as ecclesial bodies, the fullness of truth and the means of salvation. And yet we do not believe that this implies for either church that other Christian communions necessarily are devoid of truth and grace.

Romanum Imperium

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2006, 04:40:52 AM »

and as for a Chrismation party....Yeah bring it on....how long will it take you all to get to aussie  Wink

actually bad idea...id hate to get the police involed when half of the party guests start attacking the other half Grin

Friar Tuck

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2006, 08:01:59 AM »

and as for a Chrismation party....Yeah bring it on....how long will it take you all to get to aussieÂÂ  Wink

actually bad idea...id hate to get the police involed when half of the party guests start attacking the other half Grin
Humorous, yet probably true Shocked. Can't have the police involved now can we.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2006, 10:55:20 AM »

For the rest of you: This is from The North American Orthodox-Catholic Theological Consultation
SCOBA Chairman: Metropolitan Maximos of Pittsburgh
Catholic Chairman: Archbishop Daniel E. Pilarczyk of Cincinnati

And how did this lead you to the conclusion that, according to Orthodox theology and consensus, the RCC most definitely and undeniably has grace?

Only one person disagreed with your position on the basis that it was ecumenist. Others would like to know how, in particular, you consider the above statement (contained in the questions) to be representative of the Church in a variety of centuries.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Romanum Imperium

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2006, 11:08:01 AM »

And how did this lead you to the conclusion that, according to Orthodox theology and consensus, the RCC most definitely and undeniably has grace?

Only one person disagreed with your position on the basis that it was ecumenist. Others would like to know how, in particular, you consider the above statement (contained in the questions) to be representative of the Church in a variety of centuries.

lol i saw this one comming
Well conserinding that Orthodox Christians cant seem to agree on a great number of things...this is possibily the closest Orthodox Statement that valiadites my position...or at leave leaves the question open

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2006, 11:13:56 AM »

Ah yes, that old Latin quirp that we can't agree on things amongst ourselves. Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Romanum Imperium

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2006, 11:28:32 AM »

actually i dont think that opinion is just latin...I'd say alot of people looking at Orthodoxy from outside would probably agree to a point...afterall this statment comes from the "Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in America" and your picking it to pieces...whist I know this "Confrence of Orthodox Bishops" is nowhere near as authoritve as a Sacred Council..its still gota count for something

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2006, 11:35:34 AM »

actually i dont think that opinion is just latin...I'd say alot of people looking at Orthodoxy from outside would probably agree to a point...afterall this statment comes from the "Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in America" and your picking it to pieces...whist I know this "Confrence of Orthodox Bishops" is nowhere near as authoritve as a Sacred Council..its still gota count for something

Should we perhaps modify your statement then to be saying:

"The Orthodox are no more unable to agree on things than the Latins"

since there is no shortage of discussion among themselves on policies made through their episcopal councils?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Romanum Imperium

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2006, 12:03:41 PM »

Should we perhaps modify your statement then to be saying:

"The Orthodox are no more unable to agree on things than the Latins"

since there is no shortage of discussion among themselves on policies made through their episcopal councils?

sure your more than welcome to turn and twist my words into whatever shape suits you...still doesn't explain why the Bishops seem to have more tolerance and desire to work  problems out with the RC's...and why they seem to think Catholics may have grace.

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2006, 03:53:12 PM »

still doesn't explain why the Bishops seem to have more tolerance and desire to workÂÂ  problems out with the RC's...and why they seem to think Catholics may have grace.

Let's talk about twisting words..

The fact of the matter is that I support you in your decision to become Orthodox, even though you seem to have profound regrets. I truly hope the Uncreated Energies of God somehow do find their way to RC's, even though you seem determined to put words in my mouth.

Earlier today you resurrected an old thread on the Catholic Eucharist. This response of mine was posted only five posts earlier than yours:

Absolutely! Despite our quarrels with the non-Orthodox, we need for their sake and ours to have hope. However, we should be very skeptical of miracles, thinking of them neither as 'proofs' nor as 'disproofs' of the truth of the Church.

Researching other posts you will also find similar quotes, such as one discussion with MA where I specifically mention that 'we Orthodox know where the Church is, but not where it is not'.

Even more insulting to me than your obvious lack of interest in reading what I have posted, however, is your insistance on not answering questions posed to you. Currently in this thread:

1. Pensateomnia:

Such is quite unfortunate. I had expected to sign on today and find at least some evidence, but, instead, I found a repetition of the thesis and (at least three) more condemnations as inferior Christians for all those who disagree with Romanun Imperium's thesis, as well as the strangely contradictory accusation that everyone else was being rude.

2. I then make an observation that discussion occurs among both the Orthodox and the Latins when their bishops make decisions, and imply through this that the mere fact questions are asked does not support your contention that the Orthodox are not unified unless you are also willing to accept that Latins are also as 'disunited' as Orthodox.

Your response to this is to accuse me of twisting your words. Instead of perhaps saying something like 'Touche!' or 'Well, I have other examples in mind like such and such' instead you ignore someone attempting to converse with you.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2006, 05:17:02 PM »

Your response to this is to accuse me of twisting your words.

Par for the course, my friend. After Romanum Imperium posted his quote from the bi-lateral dialogues going on in the U.S., I asked a simple question: How does this generic statement, with which most of us (if not all of us) participating in this discussion agree, even speak to your (Romanum Imperium's) conclusion that an Orthodox Christian should confess that the RCC absolutely and unequivocally has grace in its sacraments? (Much less prove that such a confession is widespread, required or advisable.)

His response to this question was (a) Orthodox can't agree on many things; and (b) somehow this allegedly putative lack of agreement on a "great many things" validates or at least leaves room for his very strong opinion on this particular matter.

Personally, I can't see how the above statement makes any sense simply as a matter of clear thinking, but that's another matter.

The issue at hand, however, is that after this very simple question and response, Anastasios labeled as "Latin" RI's paticular response (i.e. Orthodox can't agree on a great many things) -- a label which he did not apply, mind you, to the SCOBA-sponsored statement. Anastasios' criticism was directed at RI's justification by appeal to a putative lack of agreement on "many things," not the Bishops' statement itself, about which no one has written a single negative word.

And yet, somehow, RI contends:

afterall this statment comes from the "Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in America" and your picking it to pieces...

That ain't even twisting; it's merely fabrication. I'm sure, however, that it is not intentionally malicious, but simply the unfortunate fruit of careless reading. In fact, it seems to me that most of the misunderstanding on this thread has resulted from a lack of clarity and precision. For example, RI wrote:

still doesn't explain why the Bishops seem to have more tolerance and desire to workÂÂ  problems out with the RC's...and why they seem to think Catholics may have grace.

This is obviously true. Many Bishops do indeed want to dialogue with the RCC, including the EP. Other do indeed seem to think that "Catholics may have grace." Both of these statements, however, do not necessarily justify RI's claim that (a) he shall NEVER call into question the validity of the Roman Church (why wouldn't one ask a question?); (b) an Orthodox Christian cannot call these things into question because "that's just not the case"; (c) all those Orthodox who do so are extremists and appalling Churchmen (not Christians).

Those are quite amazing claims and therefore require amazing proof (historical, Synodal, canonical, spiritual, sacramental and theological). "Maybe" is a long way from absolutely. And that's to say nothing about claim (c), i.e. the various blanket innuendos about extremism, being appalling Christians, etc. -- all of which are completely unwarranted attacks, all of which have yet to be retracted.

Should we desire to continue this discussion along substantive lines, I imagine RI will have to rephrase his original thesis. This recent bit about "maybe" is quite hopeful and much more supportable.

RI: FYI, should you desire to look into it, The North American Orthodox-Catholic Theological Consultation has issued more than 20 statements in the last several decades, several of which are much more applicable to your thesis than the one you quoted. I suggest you read those, post the sections you find appropriate, and we can discuss their applicability and authority.

Even more than these, you might want to read the statements of the Joint International Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church, which at least includes clergy and theologians from many countries.

Otherwise, a number of articles on related topics have been written by Fr. Emmanuel Clapsis, one of the most vocal Greek ecumenists in the last decade. You may have read some of his stuff already. If not, check out: The Boundaries of the Church: An Orthodox Debate.

Cheers, everyone!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 05:41:38 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

Romanum Imperium

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2006, 07:05:43 PM »

To pensateomnia...thank you for your responce...and I am sorry if i have jumped the gun slightly in my responces..if so I do appoligise...it just seems rather actaully answering my post regurding the what Bishops confrence certin people just threw more spaners into the works by going off topic and bringign up somthing not quiet applicable i.e. Catholics and their in-fighting rather than actually adressing the point i was trying to make.

As for my "attacks about being appuling Christians." im sorry thats my belief...As A child i was taught you can be as devout in your faith as you like...but if u lack charity toward your fellow neighbour than your faith isnt worth much.

I was also reading a Orthodox article (cant rember the website sorry) in which a young Guy converted to Orthodoxy...he was very devout, verberated icons, made grand prostrations etc but he was extremly uncharitable and sopke badly of Non-Orthodox people etc, and the People of the Church said "be may be a good Orthodox but hes a bad Christian."

So in the same way Im sorry but my belief is if your uncharitable (and alot of people here are) to others no amount of "True Faith" will make you a good Christian...you may be a great churchman (ie go to liturgy, venerate Icons, and even Pray) but thats still doen't make you a Good Chrstian.
And my priest had also said somthing very similar to me...sorry if that offends people.

Romanum Imperium

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2006, 07:15:44 PM »

And as for my statement regurding that "I will never doubt the Validity of the Catholic mysteries"  well maybe your right maybe thats slightly Over presumptuous on my part...so thank you for pointing out my error...now maybe youd be so be kind as to point out the same error  of Over presumptuous to those who completly denounce as void and without grace the Catholic Mysteries.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2006, 08:21:18 PM »

As for my "attacks about being appuling Christians." im sorry thats my belief...As A child i was taught you can be as devout in your faith as you like...but if u lack charity toward your fellow neighbour than your faith isnt worth much.

So let me get this straight. In your first post, you loudly announced that you were known as a no-holds-barred type who is overopinionated. But you fault some of us for being "uncharitable?" Do you see the irony?

I agree that we must be charitable. I believe it is highly UNcharitable to let people believe false things if they ask for an answer. So while I would not go to a RC and start denouncing their Church, if one asked me if I thought their sacraments had grace I would answer no.  If I said yes they may think that they are in the Church and that they have no reason to move to Orthodoxy.  If God works in the RCC (which I believe he does in a charismatic way) then that is a case-by-case basis and not the visible church.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Romanum Imperium

« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2006, 08:38:04 PM »

the "overopinated new member here" was designed to make  light of both myself and my original post...went over most of ur heads obously....and may I say that the attacks started pretty much from there on...for (at that Point) having an opinion...

I will stick to my Guns and say that most people here are uncharitable...in the last few days ive recieved a few Private messgaes from other Orthodox Christians agreeing with my assesment that there is a definate lack of charity here on this Board (No catholics surprisingly) so i know im not the only one that thinks so...
I'll do us all a favour and stop using this message board...however ill be advising both Catholics and Orthodox of Good will to avoid this message board like the plauge.

Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2006, 08:59:38 PM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

It saddens me when I read posts like the one above.  How is it that Orthodox drive away fellow Orthodox?  Can someone explain that to me?

Please pray for me.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2006, 10:28:02 PM »

the "overopinated new member here" was designed to make  light of both myself and my original post...went over most of ur heads obously....and may I say that the attacks started pretty much from there on...for (at that Point) having an opinion...

Yes, it did obviously go over our heads, because you were not being clear. Anyway, you were never attacked for your opinon--there are many others here who share your very same opinion and yet they seem to get along fine.

I will stick to my Guns and say that most people here are uncharitable...in the last few days ive recieved a few Private messgaes from other Orthodox Christians agreeing with my assesment that there is a definate lack of charity here on this Board (No catholics surprisingly) so i know im not the only one that thinks so...

There's a lack of charity everywhere my friend.  I'm sorry that you don't feel welcome here but you are welcome to share your beliefs. However, the way you made your entry can account for a part of the reason that you did not get a warm welcome. The rest is certainly due to our sinfulness and we do apologize for our part. As for others agreeing with you, I am sure they do--online forums are not for everyone.  We try to make them good places to stay and people have constantly told me that this is by far the funnest and most laid back Orthodox forum on the internet, but we're not perfect.

I'll do us all a favour and stop using this message board...however ill be advising both Catholics and Orthodox of Good will to avoid this message board like the plauge.

I hope you will reconsider your decision to leave this forum and actually start posting more productively. It's funny, all you really would have to do is say, "I'm sorry I came on strong" and everything would be fine--over the past four years, we've had our share of heated debates and they usually end up fine.  How about we just close this thread and you can get a clean start.  I'm sure if you express a desire to interract with us and learn from us just as we will learn from you then things will progress better. But if you came here to teach us--which is the impression you gave--you have not succeeded in making a good impression.

As for telling others to avoid our forum like the plague, you wouldn't be the first to do so and given that the vast majority of people on earth have never heard of this site, it will probably only give us some publicity.  However, I do not believe that you will be giving people a fair assessment as you were not exactly the most charitable and non-judgmental participant.  But like I said, if you'd like, we can just close this thread and try to have a fresh start.  We really are not interested in enforcing any one viewpoint as that would stiffle the debate.

Again, I am sorry that you did not get the warm welcome you expected and if you chose to stay on I am sure everyone will give you another chance to state your beliefs.

Anastasios
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 10:29:09 PM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2006, 10:28:20 PM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

It saddens me when I read posts like the one above.  How is it that Orthodox drive away fellow Orthodox?  Can someone explain that to me?

Please pray for me.

Sin, my friend, sin.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Romanum Imperium

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2006, 11:37:09 PM »

[quote author=Anastasios
As for telling others to avoid our forum like the plague, you wouldn't be the first to do so and given that the vast majority of people on earth have never heard of this site, it will probably only give us some publicity.ÂÂ  However, I do not believe that you will be giving people a fair assessment as you were not exactly the most charitable and non-judgmental participant.ÂÂ  
[/quote]

If you read my Original Article you will see that I wasnt judgemntal i was trying to expresss my point of view in a way that suppotrted both the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church, in a way i hoped would allow eachother to see eye to eye (admittly it was amimed more at the Orthodox, as Catholics have already tried to embrase Eastern Christianity with open arms)...what was judgemental is what came after that... and if after the insults about being a Blasphemer  that I had the ordasity to remind people to act with chrstian charity 2wards their neighbour and "sister church" and even comment that some people act like Bad Chrstian for their lack of Chrstian Charity...I wont appoligise for that.

thank you very much for your peace offering Anastasios however its become blainently obovous that Christ doesnt dwell here...People caling eachother names, calling those with differnt opinions "Blaspheming Ecumeucists" making snarky remarks about spelling errors, and putting gods grace into a box have proved that to me 2day..more over its sign that the Adversary has sown seeds of malice amusgt many here.

Whist I do forgive those who have been rude and do myself appoligse for comming on 2 strong (even though it was designed to make light of both myself and topic) i feel that to remain would do untold dammage to my Faith in Holy Orthodoxy...as it has already made me question it.

I Pray for the day when Coptics,Catholics and Orthodox may be united in the one true fold.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2006, 11:49:44 PM »

Fair enough, RI.  While I strongly object to the sentiment that Christ does not dwell here, I certainly admit that we have our shortcomings and wish you well on your conversion and life as an Orthodox.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2006, 02:33:35 AM »

Romanum Imperium,

If I have offended, I apologize, sir.
Please feel free to say as you wish and I pray that we here will not judge until we have plucked the log from our eye before we tell others of the twig in theirs.

Sometime we forget that our boast of the True Faith requires our love and humility to flourish instead of our two-edged tonguie, sharp and deadly. While somoe here are ecumenical towards the ROman Catholic Church, others who are not need to show our differences by our words and actions of love and charity instead of brutally assaulting those who do accept the ecumenical discussions between Rome and Constantinople.

We are Orthodox. Let us all never forget the love of our Lord Jesus who broke bread with the  whore and the Pharisee together. So can we share His love to those who see the Truth in the Church and desire its Mysteries? Even when they bring their baggage to His door from their previous church, let Him clean them through the Mysteries of our faith and let us just pray for their walk to be fulfilling and humble as well.

Lord, Have Mercy,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2006, 11:35:27 AM »

RI,

Geez. Enough of your whining! Grow up and accept the fact that not everyone is going to agree with you.

You think everyone agrees with me? Do you think I CARE? No. Why? Because I am an ADULT and are confident in my misguided and wayward opinions.

Either stop acting like a baby or just GO AWAY! That Christian enough for you?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 11:40:11 AM by TomS » Logged
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2006, 03:14:05 PM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

I Pray for the day when Coptics,Catholics and Orthodox may be united in the one true fold.

While I realize this may not be the forum to discuss this, I really couldn't help it.  I'm concerned with the implications of this statement.  Coptics are Orthodox.  Just felt the need to bring that point home.

Please pray for me.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2006, 04:11:34 PM »

I'm concerned with the implications of this statement.ÂÂ  Coptics are Orthodox.ÂÂ  Just felt the need to bring that point home.

Hmmm. You must be a newbie.   Cheesy
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2006, 06:24:41 PM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

Tom,

While I am by no means a veteran of these board, I wouldn't classify myself as a 'newbie' either.  I am familiar with some of the opinions here and they are just that: opinions.  The fact of the matter is, Copts are just as Orthodox as any of the other culturally distinct Eastern Orthodox 'denominations' (for lack of a better word).  Again, I apologize for the digression.

Please pray for me. 

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
MicahJohn
The Lonely Tenor

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2006, 07:30:46 PM »

RI,

Geez. Enough of your whining! Grow up and accept the fact that not everyone is going to agree with you.

You think everyone agrees with me? Do you think I CARE? No. Why? Because I am an ADULT and are confident in my misguided and wayward opinions.

Either stop acting like a baby or just GO AWAY! That Christian enough for you?

Tom, give me a break.  Do adults post as you just did?  Or often do?  RI's reaction doesn't surprise me at all when I read things like this.
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2006, 10:31:50 PM »

Whatever adult behaviour is, it is far from this.  Please keep it civil in other threads.  Perhaps we need a debate on best ways to debate on on-line forums, just not in this thread.  Unless someone's willing to go back to the original idea (you can pm me), otherwise this is getting out of control.  Sorry guys, this just isn't appropriate.
Dantxny
Orthodox-Catholic Moderator.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: