OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:15:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons in bathroom?  (Read 5433 times) Average Rating: 0
daher

Faith: Orthodox

Orthodoxy or Death!

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2006, 11:55:16 PM »

Two brothers were on retreat at a Trappist monastery.  The first brother,  a Friar Minor (Franciscan)  came to ask Father Guardian a question about the rules.  He said, "Father, may I drink coffee while I pray?"  Father Guardian answered him,  "No my son.  It is better to finish your coffee and then go into pray."  Obediently, the friar set his coffee down and went to pray.

Now the other brother, a Jesuit novice had over heard  this conversation and he too had a question for the Guardian.  "Father,"  he began,  "Is it permitted for me to pray, while I drink my coffee?"  Father Guardian replied,  "Of course my son, we must pray without ceasing."

Father? And the Roman Catholic Church have "fathers"? They have people vested in clerical dress. The papist church don't have priesthood.  Huh

But this example is very good. Before i think that the jesuits dont say good things, because they have much time killing orthodox people, like St. Athanasios of Brest.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2006, 12:03:47 AM »

Rafael,

Mother Anastasia is not Orthodox, she is Western Rite American Orthodox Catholic, an independent group.

While the Orthodox Church as a whole does not recognize RC orders, it is only polite to refer to people with their title. This does not mean we approve of their status, but it is impolite to constantly put "Church" and "Father" in quotation marks.  All Orthodox priests I know--traditionalist, ecumenist, the whole gamut--refer to RC priests by their titles.

Anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
daher

Faith: Orthodox

Orthodoxy or Death!

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2006, 12:10:13 AM »

Rafael,

Mother Anastasia is not Orthodox, she is Western Rite American Orthodox Catholic, an independent group.

While the Orthodox Church as a whole does not recognize RC orders, it is only polite to refer to people with their title. This does not mean we approve of their status, but it is impolite to constantly put "Church" and "Father" in quotation marks.ÂÂ  All Orthodox priests I know--traditionalist, ecumenist, the whole gamut--refer to RC priests by their titles.

Anastasios

Thank you brother. Question of education. But, is allways proper remind that.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2006, 12:49:33 AM »

I hate to prolong a tangent, but I have a question about all those little printed icons we get in church bulletins, icon catalogues, etc., which one is tempted to just throw away...

I recall reading about a woman who would collect those, mount them and make them into real mounted icons to give to people.  She, like some others responding to this thread, did not like the idea of people just throwing those icons away.  She was even taking and mounting church bulletin icons, etc., which strangers sent her in the mail.  I seem to recall that she lived somewhere in the U.S.

Does anyone know who this woman is?  I've often thought of her and how I would love to send her some of those church bulletin icons I get.  This sounds like a silly thing, but I think that what she does is a wonderful service to God.

KATHXOYMENOC

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2006, 09:20:30 AM »

The priest at the church we attend has misgivings about people sending/receiving icon Nativity cards for the same reason - i.e., one can't throw them away, or at least one shouldn't, yet that is often what many probably unthinkingly do. So he ends up having to burn the cards after the season to dispose of them properly. I had never thought about it before, but we will likely not buy/send such cards for that reason.

KYPIOCIHCOYCXPICTOC
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2006, 08:00:21 PM »

This of course could easily become another topic. The use of Paper Icons etc, but hopefully it won't.

Since industrialization occurred in Orthodox Countries, printed or published Icons have made their way into Orthodox Homes. During the Turkish occupation of Greece and Byzantium, often western prints of icons were the olnly source of religous images possible for people to bring into their homes. Likewise, today, I know few who can actually afford a full hand written icon or in any number several icons one for each family member.

Thus the Fathers allow for Icons and prints to be blessed. Many monasteries who publish and mount icons say the Prayer of the Heart continuously while creating them just as the iconographer prays continuously as he writes the icon.

The key is that if an icon, a print or a handwritten icon works as a window to heaven , it is a blessing to those who use it. enuf said.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2006, 12:59:49 PM »

ozgeorge,

Sorry for the delayed response; I am in the middle of end-of-semester exams. A response to your last reply has been produced in the new thread that I have created here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=9351.msg125558#msg125558

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2006, 03:35:48 PM »

I think we've flushed out just about every argument for and against Icons in the bathroom.  Can we get off the throne and please move into another room??
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2006, 01:18:17 AM »

I wish we (as mods) were allowed to give warnings just for terribly bad puns...

Alas, this is not hte case... may God have mercy on your sense of humor (or lack thereof)...
(Not like I should talk - you should hear the bad puns I make in the day-to-day).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: icons Julianism bathroom 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: