OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 10:26:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you heard of Death to the World zine?  (Read 4163 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: June 14, 2006, 03:37:39 AM »

This appears to be made by a group of Orthodox youth who consider Father Seraphim Rose their hero:
http://www.desertwisdom.org/dttw/

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 11:42:27 AM »

This appears to be made by a group of Orthodox youth who consider Father Seraphim Rose their hero:

I don't think they are literally "youth" any more. The original founders are certainly adults by now. I wasn't aware that their zine was even still being published. Actually, after looking at the Web site, I still don't know if it is. Most of the site looks like stock material from some of the old issues and pamphlets.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 01:16:45 PM »

Peace.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been published for at least a few years.  I'll try to remember to ask at the Super-Mega-Pan-Orthodox BBQ we're having on Friday (just me trying to be optimistic about turnout from the other parishes).  There is a former CSB parish in town that has a bookstore and someone from that parish will probably be at the BBQ and would definitely know for sure.
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 03:13:08 PM »

I have but that was 10 years ago - an OCA cathedral had copies of it. I've no idea if it's still being printed - the site looks static.

BTW I've been told that though they're not a church unto themselves anymore the CSB still exist as an inter-jurisdictional group. The idea is that of the братсва in Russia and the Ukraine in olden times. Some of their churches are in the OCA, others in the Serbian Church (like the Platina monastery where Fr Seraphim is buried) and others in the Bulgarian Church.

I've been to three of their churches in northern California and from that and descriptions I've got from others their church life seems very like English-language ROCOR whence they came (what Fr Seraphim was) and which I've also seen, but all of their members, monks and nuns or not, are basically trying very hard to live like they think monastics do or like an idealised Russian village, super-strict and insular. (Perhaps like a re-invention of Old Believer settlements, which still exist.)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 03:13:37 PM by The young fogey » Logged

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 06:00:54 PM »

I have but that was 10 years ago - an OCA cathedral had copies of it. I've no idea if it's still being printed - the site looks static.

BTW I've been told that though they're not a church unto themselves anymore the CSB still exist as an inter-jurisdictional group. The idea is that of the братсва in Russia and the Ukraine in olden times. Some of their churches are in the OCA, others in the Serbian Church (like the Platina monastery where Fr Seraphim is buried) and others in the Bulgarian Church.

I've been to three of their churches in northern California and from that and descriptions I've got from others their church life seems very like English-language ROCOR whence they came (what Fr Seraphim was) and which I've also seen, but all of their members, monks and nuns or not, are basically trying very hard to live like they think monastics do or like an idealised Russian village, super-strict and insular. (Perhaps like a re-invention of Old Believer settlements, which still exist.)
This is more or less correct.  I see members of the parishes in Santa Rosa and San Fran regularly.  The Santa Rosa group (Bulgarians) is one of the most insular groups left, but even they have come a long way.  The San Fran group (OCA) is more mainstream, as their parish is so close to Holy Trinity (OCA).
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 06:17:23 PM »

Santa Rosa is one of the three I popped into.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 07:28:17 PM »

Santa Rosa is one of the three I popped into.

You mean you didn't visit my parish (OCA)Huh??  You meanie!!!!

Tongue
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 07:36:49 PM »

Well, the OCF chapter link appears current.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 08:22:47 PM »

You mean you didn't visit my parish (OCA)Huh??  You meanie!!!!

Tongue

My host didn't take me there — sorry!

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 10:14:05 PM »

My host didn't take me there — sorry!

Well, you just missed the best parish in town!  Your loss! Grin
BasilCan

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 11:00:26 PM »

This site seems to be related to an OCA mission in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Anybody know anything about it? I hope the parish is not as "noir" as this Death to the World site is. It kinda creeps me out.

Basil "living in the world"
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 05:36:14 PM »

The zine, Death To The World is no longer being published. There are still some copies (usually photocopies of copies now) still floating around in some Orthodox bookstores and coffee houses. It was published periodically throughout the 1990's. The last issue was published in 1997.  The publication is currently available online in pdf format at:

http://www.desertwisdom.org/dttw/links/index.html

The zine was the work of St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood in Platina, CA.

There was also an accompanying book by the same title. The book is out of print at this time, although some Orthodox bookstores may still have a lone copy or two.

As far as I know there are no plans to resume publication.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 05:39:05 PM by thetraditionalfrog » Logged

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 07:21:04 PM »

T Frog,

Nice avatar.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
kansas city

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 11:50:57 PM »

Do you mean there is a book entitled Death to the World, or are you referring to Youth of the Apocalypse

I ask not as a correction, but if Br. John was involved in another book i'd like to read that as well.
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 12:46:39 AM »

Pensateomnia,

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Kansas City,

Sorry about that, I meant Youth Of The Apocalypse not Death To The World as the title of the accompanying book.

If you are referring to Brother John (Marler), yes he along with Brother Andrew (Wermuth) authored the book. I am not aware if Brother John has been involved with any other books.

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
NickolaiOJ

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Forgive Me, the Sinner.

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 08:55:24 AM »

Pensateomnia,

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Kansas City,

Sorry about that, I meant Youth Of The Apocalypse not Death To The World as the title of the accompanying book.

If you are referring to Brother John (Marler), yes he along with Brother Andrew (Wermuth) authored the book. I am not aware if Brother John has been involved with any other books.

A very good book for a certian group of people.  It may not apeal to everyone, and it's hard to find.  A bit dark in the beginning as well.  And Brother Justin left a long time ago and restarted his old band "Sleep" but renamed them "The Sabians"

Reader Nikolai
The_Saint

Jurisdiction: New Rome

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 09:43:10 PM »

I suppose this is an older topic that I have run into. Yes, "Death to the World" zine is being published again. In fact issue # 18 is out. I actually came accross this zine by accident and this is what really compelled me to look into Orthodoxy. I have actually been inspired to produce a similiar type "zine". So, if anyone reading this would like to contribute or has any ideas just let me know.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 02:01:40 AM »

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been published for at least a few years.  I'll try to remember to ask at the Super-Mega-Pan-Orthodox BBQ we're having on Friday ...

BBQ on a Friday?! Is outrage!

Proverbs 22:7
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 02:36:15 AM »

Yes! I vould akree!! Is not fast-free veek this veek! Should have hed BBQ veek after Pentecost! Is troolly outrage!!  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:36:51 AM by LBK » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 04:09:27 AM »

Unless that Friday happens to be on a Fast Free week like next Friday...
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 05:10:50 AM »

You guys have seen the year of that post about a BBQ haven't you?
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 09:20:11 AM »

It is still being published, though by an entirely new team who took over the name and distribution of the old issues.
Try this link instead: http://www.deathtotheworld.com/

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 09:23:38 AM »

You guys have seen the year of that post about a BBQ haven't you?

LOL!  Indeed.  For a moment I thought our friend Matthew was back.   Shocked  laugh

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »

If your ever teach Orthodox teen programs and see the teens are bored, drag out the "Death to the World" articles.  Most teens
think these are fascinating and will read every word!
Tags: Death to the World 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: