OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 12:48:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ouija Boards - tested  (Read 6821 times) Average Rating: 0
plutonas
Moderated

« on: April 09, 2003, 02:47:22 PM »

I found this post on another forum and thought it relevant to post here.  I'd like to hear any of your opinions on this as well.

Rest of message deleted for use of foul language.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2003, 02:58:02 PM by Nicholas » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 03:13:32 PM »

Ouija Boards are gateways to contact with evil spirits. I have no doubts that a great many people have real "experiences" with them. These experiences infect one's soul, leading to a spiritual death.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 04:07:25 PM »

Yes, ouija boards are an occultic practice yet I know many devout Christians who are unaware of how dangerous they can be. The name comes from the French and German words for yes. Oui means yes in French and Ja means yes in german.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
plutonas
Moderated

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2003, 04:22:31 PM »

Apparently the message was deleted by the administrator for containing 'foul language'.  To see the message on the forum where I found it, just click the link I posted in the initial message.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2003, 04:32:03 PM »

The scary thing to me is that you can purchase an Ouija Board at any Toys'R'Us.  Not to mention that you can find Tarot cards and casting runes at any Barnes and Noble.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2003, 04:58:49 AM »

My mother and grandmother tell me they once "played" ouija and they got quite scared. Nothing bad happened thanks God, but they got scared and it was a bad experience.

The intention of a person which uses it is to contact spirits for their own benefit, defying the natural and divine law.

The scary thing to me is that you can purchase an Ouija Board at any Toys'R'Us.  Not to mention that you can find Tarot cards and casting runes at any Barnes and Noble.

The thing with ouija is that as it's not possible to prove with science it's so harmful, people can still say its' just the mind.

About Tarot cards i dont think you can get any evil spirit from them Wink
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2003, 09:35:57 AM »

Gee, what about reading tea leaves and telling fortunes thereby "for fun."  My late beloved Uniate grandmother of blessed memory used to do that for her friends and acquaintances when asked.

Hypo-Ortho
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2003, 10:20:51 AM »

Are you asking or making a point Hypo? Going to a fortune teller is sinful indeed.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2003, 10:53:07 AM »

I wonder how many people have left their guard (on their heart) down and allowed evil to penetrate their heart, all in the name of "a little fun" or doing something that "isn't taken seriously". Maybe those who engage in certain activities don't take them "seriously" and do it "just for fun," but you can bet that Satan isn't playing around. This above attitude is nearly as bad as claiming to be a practicioner of "white magic". If done by an Orthodox Christian, it's much much worse (with more knowledge comes a greater responsibility).

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2003, 11:08:59 AM »

Are you asking or making a point Hypo? Going to a fortune teller is sinful indeed.

I was more or less doing both, Nik.  I don't think my beloved grandmother or any of her friends, all either Ukrainian Uniates or Polish Latins from Europe, thought of what they were doing as sinful, but simply an innocent, harmless pastime, a game.  No one took it seriously.  No payment was asked or given.  AFAIK, my grandmother learned the "art" of reading fortunes in tea leaves from observing Gypsies in Ukraine.  

Where does one draw the line?

Hypo-Ortho
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2003, 11:40:05 AM »

Before becoming a Catholic, I was Lutheran.  I fell away from active Lutheranism in my teens, however (which in a way precipitated my interest in Catholicism) and started studying "psychic powers."  Then I got into Ceremonial Magick (the "Eastern Orthodoxy" of witchcraft practicioners, in other words a highly liturgical and well-planned out process.)  I tried astral projection (out of body experiences) and tarot cards were something I got pretty good with.  In the end I started seeing things, hearing things, etc.  My mother called me one day and said, "were you astral projecting, because I saw you in my room last night."

These experiences got progressively more negative and finally I stopped, thank God, and became Catholic back in 1998.  That stopped it all.  Now of course Orthodoxy is in my sights but that isn't the point of this discussion.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2003, 12:22:02 PM »

It can be more than creepy.  I've never used a Ouija board or had my fortune told(other than by cookies at a chinese place) but I've seen someone who is really into Tarot give readings so precise there had to be some kind of supernatural power helping her, and as being Orthodox I'm sure we know which one it was.  The lady in question is the mother of my ex-roomate, she had studied Tarot and astrology for more than 20 years.  One could get into some rather odd conversations with her.  She was convinced there was a fairy living in the apartment with us.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2003, 12:05:12 AM »

About Tarot cards i dont think you can get any evil spirit from them Wink

Tarot is just another form of divination.  It is no different than reading shells, coconuts, tealeaves, coffee, ashes, ouija boards, staring into a crystal ball or a class of water or a flame.  They are all the same thing.  They all rely on an exterior force of some sort.  

While I am not convinced anyone can "get an evil spirit" just like that, my own personal experience has shown me that all forms of divination in modern usage are potentially harmful.

If you play with fire you will get burned.  Please do not take these things lightly, your immortal soul is involved.

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2003, 04:34:17 PM »

I agree with all those who have said that no one should mess with Ouija boards.

Just the same, when I was 12 years old, my best friend, who was Jewish, and I, who was a nominal Protestant, played around with one a few times.

We were both pretty cynical and regarded the Ouija board as a crock of crud originally designed to part suckers from their money.

Perhaps that attitude insulated us from the possible harm that openess to the thing might have caused.

My attitude toward Ouija boards and such mumbo-jumbo has not changed too much, although I realize they can be used by the devil to cause great harm.

I still believe their chief use is to part suckers from their money.  Wink

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Nicholas

GOD SAVE THE CZAR

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2003, 05:54:39 PM »

These sorts of things are certainly nothing anyone professing Christianity should have any truck with.

Besides, remember what happened to Regan McNeil. All of her troubles seemed to begin with her playing with a Ouija board!  Grin  :-   Cry

The unworthy servant of God,
Br. Nicholas

So long, and thanks for the fish!
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2003, 06:51:51 PM »

esides, remember what happened to Regan McNeil. All of her troubles seemed to begin with her playing with a Ouija board!  Grin  :-   Cry

Who dat?
Br. Nicholas

GOD SAVE THE CZAR

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2003, 07:26:06 PM »

esides, remember what happened to Regan McNeil. All of her troubles seemed to begin with her playing with a Ouija board!  Grin  :-   Cry

Who dat?

go to the following link:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0070047

So long, and thanks for the fish!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: