OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 01:42:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out reach programs  (Read 1022 times) Average Rating: 0
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: June 12, 2006, 10:25:14 AM »

Are there any orthodox out reach programs that help to feed or sponsor children in third world countries?

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 10:44:50 AM »

Are there any orthodox out reach programs that help to feed or sponsor children in third world countries?

Yes. There is the International Orthodox Christian Charities (http://www.iocc.org/), which is involved in many such programs throughout the world. And the Orthodox Christian Mission Center's Agape Canister program (http://www.ocmc.org/agape.php). Many parishes of all jurisdictions support both programs. It is not uncommon to find Church School programs that participate in the Agape Canister program.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 10:56:14 AM »

http://www.copticorphans.org/

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 01:31:57 PM »

Any others that are specific towards sponsorship?

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 02:34:34 PM »

Any others that are specific towards sponsorship?

Yes. Coptic Orphans allows you to sponsor a specific child. Also, you can sponsor a mission priest (and his family) through OCMC, including native African clerical families who couldn't continue ministry otherwise.

Edit: While it's not like sponsoring a particular child, one can sponsor particular programs with all of these Orthodox charities (including, for example, a medical clinic in Ethiopia, an Orthodox orphanage in Guatemala, an Orthodox home for abused kids in Romania, etc.).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 02:40:06 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: