OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 03:25:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frederica on Markides GIFTS OF THE DESERT = "No Jesus"  (Read 1154 times) Average Rating: 0
KATHXOYMENOC

« on: June 11, 2006, 09:06:40 AM »

An excerpt:

That’s why fans of “Mountain of Silence” have been looking forward to “Gifts of the Desert.” But a friend who read an early copy told me, “Somehow, it’s pretty dry.” It took me half the book to figure out what’s causing this dryness: it’s that Jesus is missing.

http://www.frederica.com/writings/gifts-of-the-desert-book-review.html

KYPIOCIHCOYCXPICTOC
jaderook

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 08:33:51 PM »

I finished 'The Mountain of Silence' yesterday.  While I greatly enjoyed the book, I was left with the impression that Markides was nothing more than an admirer of Orthodoxy and still living mostly in the realm of the skeptic.  Perhaps in light of such reviews on his new book, I may just decide to skip it.
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 11:35:03 PM »

I agree, I read Mountain of Silence, and while I really loved everything Father Maximos said, I just wished I could delete all of Markides' "commentary". It was really academic and new-agey. 

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: