OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 03:50:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Have a Confession to Make...  (Read 5300 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: April 08, 2003, 03:35:14 PM »

I like Mother Angelica. She's very funny. She can be very insightful too. I've rarely met/seen someone who can use genius wit for both humor and deadly seriousness, and do both within seconds of each other at that.

I apparently picked up a mannerism from her the other day (I curled my lip and looked side to side), what's happening to me!?  Huh Shocked lol  My wife, a former Catholic (and SSPXer) just shook her head and sighed (light heartedly).

Anyway, I tend to "strongly, vocally, disagree with" certain groups sometimes, just wanted to post something positive for once Smiley
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 03:37:33 PM by Paradosis » Logged

An Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith
A Rough Overview of What a Handful of Greek-Speaking Christians Wrote in the 4th-7th Centuries
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 03:48:05 PM »

Paradosis<<I like Mother Angelica.>>

I like Mother Angelica too, Justin, even though she sometimes comes off as "more Catholic than the Pope."  She has promoted some things like "Mary Co-Redemptrix," however, which seemingly has booted my Orthodox self off this thread twice while I was typing it.  I hope this isn't why my ROCOR godson sometimes jokingly refers to her as "Mother Demonica!"   Shocked

Hypo-Ortho
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 11:17:47 PM by Hypo-Ortho » Logged
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 03:59:01 PM »

Who is Mother Angelica?  Huh

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 04:10:08 PM »

http://ewtn.com/

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 04:14:22 PM »

Mother Angelica is a conservative Roman Catholic nun that not only has her own Television show, but pretty much built up EWTN. She's not very much liked among some because she actually teachers what her church teaches, and is conservative. She tells you like it is, too, not always sugar-coating things. If you see a nun (in traditional monastic attire) on EWTN and she laughs a lot and makes insightful comments, then that's her Smiley

I must admit though that after she was hospitalized about a year ago I stopped watching her (and then later I got rid of my tv entirely.) I just saw some "classic" editions of her show the other day, though, which is why this was fresh in my mind.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 04:16:21 PM by Paradosis » Logged

A Rough Overview of What a Handful of Greek-Speaking Christians Wrote in the 4th-7th Centuries
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 04:19:43 PM »

Thanks for sharing that with us.  I like her, too.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2003, 04:29:32 PM »

Dear Paradosis:

Did you know that when Mother Angelica, together with 4 other nuns, started in 1962 "Our Lady of the Angels Monastery" in Irondale, a suburb of Birmingham, Alabama, the first postulant the Monastery received was Mae Francis (Sister Mary David), Mother Angelica's natural mother?

AmdG
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2003, 12:35:24 PM »

I like Mother Angelica, too, though, obviously, I cannot agree with everything she says.

I also like watching EWTN in general. There are some very interesting and enlightening bits there. I especially like the show Coming Home, where former Protestants and lapsed Catholics discuss what brought them into the RCC. The host, Marcus Brodi, is, I believe, a former Protestant minister and just an all-round likeable guy.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2003, 01:35:07 PM »

Mother Angelica's swell.

Incidentally, if you search the archives of their news program, The World Over, you'll find an interview with Mel Gibson on his upcoming Christ film.

In IC XC
Samer
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2003, 03:46:29 PM »

Linus,  Marcus is a former Congregationalist minister who was raised Lutheran.  Scott Hahn, someone who has been on CH any number of times with and without his wife Kimberly, is a former Presbyterian minister.  Marcus has a website--www.chnetwork.org--which is for an Organization he heads that tries to get Prot ministers to convert to RC.  Actually its a good idea as they provide financial and job placement assistance for PM's as they begin to make the move to RC and obviously loose their jobs.  

Samer,  That was an excellent episode.  Interestingly the film will be done entirely in Aramaic and Latin with no subtitles.  Interestingly enough that was the second time I have seen a very dedicated SSPXer  on the show.  Mel is also the son of the world's most famous (at least in TradRC circles) and avowed Sedevacantist, Hutton Gibson who is the author of such works as "Is the Pope a Catholic" which is the updated and revised edition of "The Legacy of Paul VI:  Catholicism?".  Hutton Gibson is also the leader of the Australian Society of Traditionalist Catholics or something to the like.  anyway, an interesting family indeed.  It is also interesting to note that Mel dedicates an ENOURMOUS amount of money towards the erection of Traditional Chapels around the Country each year.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2003, 04:06:45 PM »

Joe -

Thanks for the info. I like Marcus' show.

I've heard of Hahn, and I believe he has written a number of books, though I have not yet read any of them.

I've heard mention of Orthodox Christians on EWTN a few times and always in a positive light.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2003, 04:34:26 PM »

Friends:

Just a rejoinder. . .

I think Marcus Grodi was, like Dr. Scott Hahn, a Presbyterian minister.  In addition, Dr. Hahn was an eminent Theology Professor at his denomination's seminary and an acknowledged expert on Covenant Theology.

While Mel Gibson's has been reported by the media to have arranged the celebration of the Tridentine Mass every Sunday and on Holy days of obligation during the filming of his seminal film on the passion, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, there is no independent confirmation nor credible source of his being a "very dedidcated SSPXer" as Joe Zollars want us to believe.

Mel Gibson is simply a traditional Catholic (whose eldest daughter intimated in a recent interview that she would soon be entering a convent to become a cloistered Nun).

I doubt EWTN would have interviewed him if he was an SSPXer.

Rumors do fly!

AmdG
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2003, 04:38:33 PM »

Amadeus,

It was falsely reported quite widely in Catholic circles that Mel Gibson was SSPX, even bythe National Catholic Register. Actually, he got made when the SSPX took over his church and got permission from his bishop to build a church that would be Tridentine only and somewhat independent of the Bishop. His dad is SSPV I believe.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2003, 04:46:59 PM »

Grodi was a Congregationalist Minister. He may have been Presbyterian for a time but he was a Congregationalist Minister.  Hahn was a Presbyterian Minister, taught at a Presbyterian High School and at a Presbyterian Seminary.  He was educated at Gordon Conwell theological seminary where he met up with Gerry Matticics.  Hahn has written a number of books almost all of which are available from the CHnetwork catalogue.  Gerry Matticics works as a full time apologist for Catholic Answers in San Diego California.  

I'm sorry I was under the impression that Mel was SSPX.  I'm not sure whether or not Hutton Gibson is a SSPVer or not but he is most definatly Sedevacantist.  I would think it more likely that he just goes to some independent Chapel.  

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2003, 05:32:42 PM »

JoeZollars:

Check again.  Marcus Grodi was a Presbyterian minister.

Who is this "Gerry Matticics?"

Unless you meant Gerry Matatics, the seminary classmate of Dr. Hahn.

AmdG
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2003, 06:09:58 PM »

Amadeus, maybe you should check again? Joe said that he may have been a Presbyterian for a time, but was a Congregationalist.

Here's from one of his books:

Marcus Grodi received a BS in Polymer Science and Engineering from Case Institute of Technology. After working four years as Plastics Engineer, he attended Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary where he received a masters in divinity degree. After ordination he served first as a Congregationalist and then eight years as a Presbyterian pastor. He currently is an author, part time farmer, television talk show host, and public speaker. He and his wife Marilyn live with their three sons - Jon Marc, Peter, and Richard - and a cadre of other animals on their small farm near Zanesville, Ohio.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2003, 06:11:17 PM by Nicholas » Logged

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2003, 07:01:03 PM »

This has turned into an interesting thread!

I think we are all confessing that we are EWTN bugs!  Cool

I really like Marcus Grodi and his show. It has been nice learning a little more about his background.

Thanks, guys!  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2003, 07:23:49 PM »

Gerry Matatics (Catholic apologist) is a former Evangelical Protestant who converted to the Catholic Church and is now affiliated with the Society of St. Pius X. He has contacts with some sedevacantists but he denies being one of them.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2003, 07:49:24 PM »

Okay, here comes the stupid question:

What is a "sedevacantist?"

A guess: those who believe the current Pope is not legitimate and the Throne of Peter is "vacant."

Am I right?

- Pope St. Hormisdas
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2003, 07:50:42 PM »

I have seen no indication that the Gibsons are affiliated with either the S.S.P.X. or S.S.P.V.

However, it is known that Hutton is a sede, while Mel helps and/or prays with independants.

Regardless, Mel is not what you would call E.W.T.N. material by any means according to that network's "religious correctness", which is what made his appearance in an interview all the more surprising and the folks who allowed the interview to be conducted more deserving of thanks.  Surprisingly, the disclaimer that was offered by the network had nothing to do with his traditionalism, but rather was a confirmation that the network was not making an endorsement of some of the material in Gibson's films that would offend the sense of modesty of some of the viewers.  The apparent contradiction between such material and Mel's religiosity has caused enough cognitive dissonance amongst a number of people that it has become the subject of many discussions online.

I'll give my verdict of the Aramaic when the film is released.

In IC XC
Samer
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2003, 08:25:41 PM »

Linus, "Sedevacante" literally means "The Chair is Vacant."  Most of these people are actually SiriVacantists believing Cardinal Siri was actually elected Pope instead of John XXIII, Paul VI, John Paul I, and John Paul II.  Also they believe a heretic cannot fill a Church Office.  And they believe Roncalli (John XXIII real name) on have been heretics.  

Joe Zollars

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2003, 09:44:46 PM »

Joe -

Thanks for the info. Very interesting . . .  Shocked

- Pope St. Hormisdas
MartinIntlStud

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2003, 01:16:53 AM »

What's SSPX and SSPV?
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2003, 05:25:20 AM »

Society of St. Pius X (Abp. Lefevbre's scismatic sect) and Society of St. Pius V (a very small splinter group of the SSPX, very sedevacantist).  Both are ultratraditionalists and are sort of like Protestants.  They're RC's in all ways but one:  They pick and choose when and when not the Pope is a heretic (AKA--Pope Paul VI wrote an encyclical saying the need for Latin still remained--Hooray for Paul VI defender of True Catholicism, Paul VI issued the New Mass and reformed the Breviary--The archheretic "Paul VI" probably ain't a valid pope anyway.)  However, if you want to see how a Tridentine Mass is supposed to be done, go to an SSPX Priory.   Because they are schismatics, they pay EXTREMELY close attention to detail.

Joe Zollars

Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2003, 03:56:40 PM »

Just to set the record straight:

Originally posted by JoeZollars:

. . .Gerry Matticics [sic] works as a full time apologist for Catholic Answers in San Diego California.
[/b]

He left "Catholic Answers" way back in 1991.  Gerry Matatics formed his own group "Biblical Foundations International" thereafter and is active in Catholic apologetic circuits here and abroad.

Originally posted by Snoop:

. . .and is now affiliated with the Society of St. Pius X. He has contacts with some sedevacantists but he denies being one of them.
[/b]

Gerry Matatics was NEVER affiliated with the SSPX (nor with SSPV).  He was, for 3 years, a Professor at a seminary maintained by the FSSP (Fraternal Society of St. Peter), a traditionalist group of former SSPX clergy that returned to and reconciled with the Catholic Church.  Institutionally, FSSP was granted a special indult to celebrate exclusively the Tridentine Mass.

He gave lectures and had speaking engagements before known sedevacantists but he, himself, NEVER was a sedevacantist.  I think this is one of the reasons why he had a falling away with Karl Keating of "Catholic Answers,"  who was rumored to have opined personally that Gerry's "association" with sedevacantists made him suspect in his Catholic orthodoxy.

Fairness to the person concerned necessitated this late(?) addendum.

AmdG
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2003, 04:53:43 PM »

sorry my information was from an old cassete tape originally put out by Keep the Faith.

The FSSP was never in Schism so did not need to be reconciled.   When the FSSPX went into schism in 1988, a number of small contigents remained in communion with Rome.  The FSSP is pretty much the only one still in existance other than the Society of St. John in Pennsylvania but most indultees would rather just think the SSJ was no longer in existance given the recent agregeous scandals regarding the Priests of the SSJ.

Joe Zollars

Seraphim Reeves
Elder

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2003, 12:13:11 AM »

Hey Joe,

What happened?  I thought you were becoming Orthodox?

Seraphim

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2003, 01:42:29 AM »

What do you mean?  I am still becoming Orthodox.  I just wanted to provide a full answer to the questions asked regarding the contemporary RCC.

Joe Zollars

Mexican
Elder

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2003, 05:48:40 PM »

Some of Joe's comments need clarification. The SSPX doesn't define itself as in schism but has an irregular status as it does not accept communion with local Bishops.

The SSPV, as well as the CMRI and other groups, is a sedevacantist sect which does not follow JPII at all. As they believe that due to personal heresy they lost the Papacy, they don't pick and choose, they just don't follow him at all.

On one side you have the FSSP and other groups who believe that people are bound to follow the Pope in everything he says and does ("if the Pope says it it must be good"), on the other side you have the sedevacantists who think that JPII is so liberal that he cannot be a Pope. Joe is right when posting that the SSPX picks when to follow JPII and when not to follow him, but the SSPX is in fact the only "traditionalist" RC group which has some sense.

Joe, I would recommend you not to believe everything of what the SSPX says on the SSJ issue. You must remember that the founder of the SSJ is a disident professor in Econe who left the SSPX because of the soviet-like environment there (people watching, a constant fear of conspiracy, cameras, etc). The SSPX got very irritated when he left to found his own society and are doing everything they can to destroy him and defamate him.

I hope you have a nice journey to the Orthodox faith, if everything goes fine, you'll be happy, the Orthodox Church has some problems, but it is never as serious as in the RC, and you'll always be sure that you're truly receiving Christ in the Eucharist, Sacraments that confer grace, and a liturgy that will cheer you up when you're sad. Have a nice day.
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2003, 03:54:39 PM »

Snoop posted:

. . .but the SSPX is in fact the only "traditionalist" RC group which has some sense.
[/b]

Wrong!  Terribly, a misinformation.

The SSPX might be "traditional" but it is not currently in communion with the Roman Catholic Church. The SSPX is not on an "irregular status;"  the group is considered "schismatic."

The FSSP, originally composed of SSPX clergy, IS the "RC group which has some sense!"

Another "Lefebvrite"  was the "Society of St. John Vianney" of Campos, Brazil, which, both its entire clergy and laity, reconciled with and returned to Rome last year.

AmdG

Mexican
Elder

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2003, 03:12:21 AM »

If Im not mistaken the SSPX has not officially broken communion with JPII and they acknowledge him as Pope in the dypthics of their masses. I know there is a debate between traditional and liberal Catholics about this. Some would say that they're schismatics only because the Pope said it and others hold to the canons of their Church and claim that what the Pope says cannot be above the canons.

About the FSSP it's hard for me to understand, when they are allowed to work they have to be under the local bishops who are most of the time opposed to the traditional mass and sacraments, and sometimes they have to concelebrate the new liturgy, so they have given up most of their principles as traditional Latin christians, that's why i find hard to understand.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2003, 07:38:34 AM »

If I'm not mistaken the SSPX has not officially broken communion with JPII and they acknowledge him as Pope in the dypthics of their masses.

That's right. They aren't a separate church, just in a canonical mess right now - kind of like MP vs. ROCOR and the several redundant ethnic-based Orthodox jurisdictions sharing territory in America.

sometimes they [the FSSP] have to concelebrate the new liturgy

I've read that claim before but have no idea if it's true.

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2003, 11:43:04 PM »

Yes the FSSP does have to say the new Liturgy.  It is required that they concelebrate (at a minimum) the Chrism Mass on Maundy (Holy) Thursday and the local Bishop can at any point require any indult Priest to say the New Mass to affirm his union with the local Bishop.  In fact the local Bishop can also require an indult Priest to staff a NO parish.

Joe Zollars

Seraphim Reeves
Elder

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2003, 01:24:59 AM »

Wrong!  Terribly, a misinformation.

The SSPX might be "traditional" but it is not currently in communion with the Roman Catholic Church. The SSPX is not on an "irregular status;"  the group is considered "schismatic."

On one hand I would agree with you, on the other hand I would not.

On the one hand, some very negative statements have come from Rome regarding the SSPX, perhaps the most important being the letter Ecclessia Dei Afflicta, which was issued shortly after Archbishop Lefebvre (and Bp. Antonio de Castro Mayer) consecrated four SSPX priests as bishops (in the summer of '88).  It's also no secret that the SSPX is not particularly well liked by most RC Bishops (at least in the western world; the situation is less hostile in other places, particularly east Asia, oddly enough, where it's more a mixed bag).

On the other hand Rome (surprise) has made statements to the opposite effect, particularly as of late; to the point of Romans (Vatican) giving qualified permission for RC laity to attend SSPX services, or making odd statements like (paraphrased from memory) that the SSPX situation is not a part of the Vatican's ecumenical affairs apostolate (which would include Orthodox Christians and Protestants), but is considered to be an "internal matter".  It is also quite clear that the SSPX itself has not ceased commemorating JP II in their services as Pope of Rome, and dogmatically hold to the beliefs officially taught by the RCC (where as the same cannot be said of a great part of the modern RC world, particularly Roman Catholic academia.)

From an Orthodox p.o.v., the position of the "rad trads" (as the "Lefebvrists" are often coined; as opposed to those "safe, good trads" like the FSSP, SSJV, etc.) is a sympathetic one, since their struggle with Rome (and I think it's fair to say they are the victims in this) is a return to the same question which causes Orthodoxy to take exception to the medieval Papacy.  Namely, whatever the authority of the Pope may be, is it one which exists within the Church, with clear limitations, or is it something above and beyond the Church, with absolutely no spiritual/moral accountability?

While it is clear where the opponents of the SSPX (within the RCC) stand, it hardly seems clear within the RCC milieu the answer is to be found.  The RCC hasn't resolved the whole issue of whether a Pope can in fact become a public heretic, and thus vacate his office (a very "Orthodox" sounding idea, since Orthodoxy would say this of any Bishop, Pope or not) - there certainly is good support for this idea (most recently, the RC "doctor" Robert Bellarmine, who gave arguments in favour of this possibility).  If he can defect, this would go a long way in bolstering the SSPX's position (since such an apostasy would not occur immediately, but would require a trajectory in the wrong direction first - and if that is in fact the road Rome is headed on, as the SSPX alleges, is anyone obliged to follow?).

Personally, I think the whole situation (and I'm quite sure the SSPX doesn't see it this way, since they subscribe to Vatican I) is a sad testimony... the tragic side effect of that final descent into arrogance, culminated at Vatican I, where the Pope's alleged authority came to a zenith.  No longer simply absolute master of Christian souls everywhere, he now became infallible.  With time (as modern "conservative" Catholics demonstrate) this infallibility has only continued to grow, to the point that not simply "ex cathedra" statements are deemed infallible, but practically everything else as well.

In this sense, the SSPX is in a losing battle - at least so long as Rome continues insisting upon it's ill gotten "authority" as it has long been prone to do.  The moment Rome really re-evaluates it's claims (and not simply talk about "excercising them in a new way" - in essense saying, "we still have all of our rights, we simply will not choose to excercise all of them... for now"), will be the time when it will be capable of seeing how and why things have gone so wrong.  Then, and not before, there might be a real possibility of "corporate reunion" with the Orthodox Church.  As it stands now, "ecumenical dialogue" by the Orthodox with the RCC is a waste of time (and if anything, dangerous.)

The FSSP, originally composed of SSPX clergy, IS the "RC group which has some sense!"

The FSSP has nice liturgies, and I know for a fact many of their clergy (and supporters) are ideologically far more on board with the SSPX than I think Rome (or most Bishops in the RCC) would be comfortable with.  However, when all is said and done, they are impotent - and they made themselves such the moment they put themselves directly under the very authority which didn't want them to exist in the first place.

I cannot help but see a parallel between the "FSSP" and the "Uniates" - the intention of both, was to create a place where "non-Catholics" (RC traditionalists on one hand, Orthodox Christians on the other) could have their liturgy, and hold to their "quaint", peculiar ideas, with the hope that with time they'd be fully assimilated into the RC mainstream.  Unfortunately (for the FSSP), this process has been sped up, since it's quite obvious that the FSSP has drawn as many "RC traddies" into it's net as it's going to, and as such it's being slowly dismanteled.

Another "Lefebvrite"  was the "Society of St. John Vianney" of Campos, Brazil, which, both its entire clergy and laity, reconciled with and returned to Rome last year.

...and it's a decision, from the info I've received, some of the priests of the Campos society are already regretting.  Effectively, they've been ghetto-ized (only having rights within a limited geographical area), which is exactly what the SSPX and the old SSJV were not about.  Neither group was a self interested bunch of Latinophiles with a sentimental/stylistic attachment to Tridentine praxis - their stand was a matter of principle, with the interests of the whole RC world in mind.  More broadly, their interest was not simply the Tridentine liturgy, but to resist a much broader tide of theological/moral liberalism which now dominates the RCC.

As far as why the SSJV did what they did, I have it on pretty good authority it has to do with Bp.Rifan's health.  He has/had cancer, and was creeping towards death.  Apparently this shook his conscience, and he was one of the men who perhaps was never fully convinced of the traditionalist stand.  It's worth noting that the founder of the SSJV (Bp. de Castro Mayer - Rifan took over after his death) died officially outside of Rome's good graces, as did Archbishop Lefebvre (which would seem to indicate that the old, "hardcore" traddie position was not such to cause such trembling in conscience... at least to those actually convinced of it.)

Why do I know so much about the SSPX and the "traditionalist" RC movement in general?  Simple; I was once one of it's adherants (in the latter part of my days as a Roman Catholic), and my immediate family are still involved with the SSPX (including a brother who is a tonsured seminarian in their American seminary.)  Having met many "traditionalists", both lay and clerical (including the Superior General of the SSPX, and another one of the four bishops consecrated by Archbp. Lefebvre back in '88, Bp. Williamson), I probably have as much experience/knowledge about this group as any Orthodox convert I've ever met.  It's quite hard to know this group well (even with it's many problems, and there are many) and not be sympathetic - particularly when you also had first hand experience of what goes on in much of the official "RC" world.

Seraphim
« Last Edit: April 21, 2003, 01:30:08 AM by Seraphim Reeves » Logged

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2003, 02:51:37 AM »

Fantastic post Seraphim, 100% factual and to the point, not ignoring the basic downfall of traditional Catholicism in general that is the heresy of papal totalitarianism.  

But I do have one small correction.  Bp. De Castro Mayer was the founder of the SSJV, which started out as a religios order in the Diocese of Campos (when he was Bishop there) that still kept to the old ways and the old Faith (since he refused to allow the Novus Ordo Religion into his Diocese).  When Bp. De Castro Mayer died, the four SSPX Bishops consecrated Bp. Rangel to take over the SSJV.  Bp. Rifan was consecrated by Cardinal Hoyas after the reunion with NO Rome.  Some Trads doupt that Rifan is actually a Bishop doupting that Cardinal Hoyas could confect any Sacrament in his ArchHeretical mindset.  

The SSPX prays for the Pope and the local "Roman" (rather NovusOrdo) Ordinary in EVERY Mass.  The SSPX Bishops do not act as Bishops in their own Dioceses.  These men act as missionary Bishops providing traditional Sacraments reserved in the Roman Tradition to the Bishop.  All Society Chapels operate on the RC canonical principle of Supplied Jurisdiction (basically, they don't necesarily need the local Bishops permission to be what Catholics are supposed to be).

I have been to Mass at a couple of SSPX Priorys.  All were daily Low Mass and all were Standing Room Only.  then you go down to the local "Roman Catholic" (more rather Novus Ordo) parish and see a couple dozen people tops in a very large parish for Daily Mass.

The FSSP is being dismantled piece by piece.  True trads are denied admittance to their seminaries and they are being infiltrated by all sorts of modernist heretics.  Also all FSSP seminarians and Priests are required to accept without any form of doupt all NO Sacraments.  However there is substantial theological doupt as to the validitiy of the Novus Ordo Mass itself (Eternal Father You ALONE are God--Eucharistic Prayer 4-- Sounds like rank arianism to me).

It is a very sad situation that will only be solved when people realize the necesity of being Orthodox.

Joe Zollars
« Last Edit: April 22, 2003, 06:18:20 AM by JoeZollars » Logged

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2003, 07:58:43 PM »

By the way, April 20th was Mother Angelica's 80th birthday.

Happy birthday, Mother Angelica!

Yeah, I confess: I watch EWTN! Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2003, 01:01:16 AM »

By the way, April 20th was Mother Angelica's 80th birthday.

Happy birthday, Mother Angelica!

Yeah, I confess: I watch EWTN! Grin

Too bad there is not an Orthodox version of EWTN. Sad

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2003, 01:03:03 AM »

Well, I am awfully photogenic!

I would be happy to be Father Angelo and you can film me doing various things and be on my talk show.

Bobby
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2003, 07:39:31 AM »

Well, I am awfully photogenic!

I would be happy to be Father Angelo and you can film me doing various things and be on my talk show.

Bobby

Cool! Grin

I agree with sinjin about an Orthodox version of EWTN. It sure would be nice. Not likely to happen, though.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2003, 10:51:32 AM »

I've heard that there's a pan-orthodox half-hour TV show that is on in Southern CA right now. That's a start I suppose. People need to support things like that and Come receive the Light for them to work though Wink

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2003, 03:21:17 PM »

Since this seems to be the official EWTN thread, has anyone been watching the show Healing the Culture: A Pro-Life Philosophy (at least I think I recall the title correctly)? It features lectures from and question-and-answer sessions with Dr. Spitzer, the head of Gonzaga University.

I've only seen it once but enjoyed it immensely.

I believe it's on Wednesday nights at 11pm.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2003, 03:24:28 PM »

Well there is http://www.orthodox.tv

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2003, 08:26:29 AM »

Wow! Cool!  Cool

Thanks, Nik.

Of course, I will probably still watch EWTN, too.  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: