OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 04:56:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A compromise with illegal aliens  (Read 1426 times) Average Rating: 0
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« on: June 05, 2006, 05:03:58 PM »

It struck me last weekend that a compromise could be struck with illegals in this country. We give them (illegal aliens) full amnesty and citizenship and in return require five years of military service. This would give us (the U.S.) a minimum sixteen million extra troops to be deployed in the mid-east and would cement our presence there for many years to come ( which I believe to of the utmost importance.)

( Mods ....this does not involve American politics directly, so I believe I am within bounds)

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 05:05:03 PM »

I believe the Roman Empire did something similar?
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 06:02:35 PM »

It struck me last weekend that a compromise could be struck with illegals in this country. We give them (illegal aliens) full amnesty and citizenship and in return require five years of military service. This would give us (the U.S.) a minimum sixteen million extra troops to be deployed in the mid-east and would cement our presence there for many years to come ( which I believe to of the utmost importance.)

Why would they take an amnesty that would put them in shackles when they can just live comfortably as illegals? The government hasn't been able to round up many illegal immigrants at all, and they have little incentive to announce their presence in the U.S.
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 06:36:12 PM »

Why would they take an amnesty that would put them in shackles when they can just live comfortably as illegals? The government hasn't been able to round up many illegal immigrants at all, and they have little incentive to announce their presence in the U.S.
Good point!  How about amnesty/military service or deportation. And free will is still involved.

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 07:04:12 PM »

Good point!  How about amnesty/military service or deportation. And free will is still involved.

Because we wouldn't be able to deport them anyway--it's just too big a task--so that whole consequence is unenforceable, and therefore the law is powerless.

I personally like (batten down the hatches, folks!) what...um...is being said by a certain branch of our country's government.   Lips Sealed

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
StephenG

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 07:11:51 PM »

In a moment of distraction when I first read this my thoughts were of 'ET' type aliens, and I wondered how some might legal and others illegal. But then the penny dropped.

The idea of loads of troops sounds fine, but you still have to train, equip and provide ongoing logistical support, etc., etc. And having an occupation force anywhere were the locals are in active resistance sounds to me like something to be avoided if at all possible.

Anyway didn't you guys snatch a load of territory in - what was it - 1848? So perhaps some hispanic folks are merely going were they feel they may have an inherent right to go?
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 07:23:03 PM »

Because we wouldn't be able to deport them anyway--it's just too big a task--so that whole consequence is unenforceable, and therefore the law is powerless.

ÃƒÆ’‚  

See ,this is what bothers me. We live in a society of laws . I am ( as a citizen) expected to obey the law.Which I do.
They however ,by entering the country illegally , are breaking the law of the country they seek to reside .
 Can we as Americans go to a foreign country , break the law , and not expect judicial reprises? ÂÂ
My suggestion , albeit untenable, is my lame attempt to make some kind of sense out of utter nonsense.

Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 07:25:30 PM »

Anyway didn't you guys snatch a load of territory in - what was it - 1848? So perhaps some hispanic folks are merely going were they feel they may have an inherent right to go?

Pretty Funny Cheesy   I like your sense of humor........unless your not joking Wink

observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 08:13:48 PM »

I like the idea of raising the immigration fee Huh - now you legal types will have to pay more for the privilege of being citizens and paying for the illegals. 

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 08:26:24 PM »

Actually America has tried something similar in the past with Irish immigrants and large scale conscription in both the Mexican-American War and the Civil War (or War of Southern Aggression if you prefer) - with not so great results. 
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 08:48:15 PM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9204.msg123122#msg123122 date=1149553584]
Actually America has tried something similar in the past with Irish immigrants and large scale conscription in both the Mexican-American War and the Civil War (or War of Southern Aggression if you prefer) - with not so great results.ÂÂ  
[/quote]
I would like to point out that the Irish were LEGAL immigrants....so,ummm...it might be even worse with illegals
             (mo seeing his arguement turning into pulp)

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: