OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 07:11:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons  (Read 981 times) Average Rating: 0
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: June 02, 2006, 11:29:52 PM »

Is it true that for an Icon to be genuine it must sit through forty liturgy's in a church? This is something that I have heard from my elders. Does it have any merit?

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 12:04:18 AM »

Is it true that for an Icon to be genuine it must sit through forty liturgy's in a church?

No, it is not true that an Icon MUST do so. As far as I have seen (in Greece and here), the “standard” custom is not that it must sit through forty Divine Liturgies, but that it should sit in the sanctuary (behind the iconostasion) for 40 days. Granted, in some Greek parishes, especially during the Christmas Fast, that would also mean sitting through 40 Liturgies.

At any rate, these are all pious customs, of which several others exist. There are several different collections of prayers in various euchologia for blessing Icons -- and those just in the Greek euchologia I have in my apartment! (None of which, by the way, actually say anything about having to put the Icon in the altar area for any amount of time). I have also seen slightly different prayers in Romanian and Russian Churches.

Now, one must still ask: Is it profitable, edifying, salutary, etc. to keep some form of this custom? Yup. Personally, I leave my Icons in the altar area for forty days and then ask my priest to bless them with holy water and whatever prayers he wants to read. I just say, "Amen."

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
falafel333
Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 12:24:11 AM »

In the Coptic Church consecrated or genuine icons are anointed with the holy myron oil...
Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: