OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 02:34:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Defender of the Faith??  (Read 1021 times) Average Rating: 0
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« on: May 30, 2006, 09:33:46 PM »

I believe from HIM Haile Selassie's acceptance speech, that His title was awarded to Him by the fathers of the Oriental Orthodox Church. Some questions, if I may...

1.ÂÂ  Does Chalcedonian Orthodoxy also grant a similar title??
2.ÂÂ  Is there only one Defender at a time, or is the title awarded to several individuals??
3.ÂÂ  Who is the current "Defender of the Faith"??

One
Ras Markos Binyam
Rastaman and Orthodox Seeker
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 10:25:22 PM by Rastaman » Logged

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 09:52:11 PM »

In the opening sentence of your post and in question number 1, you mention the Oriental Orthodox Church and "non-Chalcedonian Orthodoxy" in a way that makes me think you believe they are two different churches. In reality, the Oriental Orthodox are non-Chalcedonian.  In question number 1, did you mean to say "Chalcedonian Orthodoxy" (much better described as "Eastern Orthodoxy?")  I guess I just don't understand the question.  Of course it is late and that could be the reason.   Smiley

Also, what was it specifically that His Imperial Majesty said about how his title was awarded?  Who were the "fathers of the Oriental Orthodox Church" who awarded the title?

Sorry to answer your questions with more questions.  I just would like clarification.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 10:04:12 PM »

That first point was a typo.  I did mean to say Chalcedonian.  Smiley

With regards to your second question, it is not readily apparent who the Holy Fathers are.  If I am allowed to post a link:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/selassie-words/show-jah-word.asp?word_id=defend_faith

One
Ras Markos Binyam

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
SeanMc

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 10:37:20 PM »

3.  Who is the current "Defender of the Faith"??

HRH, Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

Although, I don't think this is what you're looking for.  Wink
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 10:40:23 PM »

HRH, Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

Although, I don't think this is what you're looking for.  Wink

Lol, no.  Just like the former Shah of Iran styled himself King of Kings, when that was another title of HIM Haile Selassie.

I do have another question: Given than HIM Haile Selassie "Power of the Trinity" is a devout Orthodox Christian leader, is He considered a modern Church father??

One
Ras Markos Binyam

Tags: H.I.M. Ethiopian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: