OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 06:53:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Names for Children  (Read 48218 times) Average Rating: 0
Tsarina

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Anastasia Royal-Martyr

« on: May 29, 2006, 08:19:14 AM »

If you have children, what are there names? How and why did you choose those names?

For those who don't have children and are planning to: What Orthodox names would you give your children, how would you pick them, and why?

Those who don't have children or are planning not to have any, you may also put down names you want that you like with an explanation. I just want to see how people choose the names: because they're nice sounding? the life of a saint is outstanding and therefore the name is given to your child? or is in remembrance of a resposed family member? etc...

Also, would you prefer names from the Old Testament, New Testament, or after? Explain.

Grin
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 08:20:21 AM by Tsarina » Logged

"Orthodoxy is life; one cannot talk about it, one must live it."

St. Nectary of Optina
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 03:39:03 PM »

My Oldest is named Annakah which means "Sweet Face". Her baptized name is Theodora Ionna, from St. Theodora who fought Iconoclasm.

My second is named Rivkah which means "unfettered beauty". Her baptized name is Tamara Irene, named from St. Tamara, the Queen of Georgia who defended Orthodoxy from the Mongol Hordes.

My latest edition is named Mishka Tatjanna. She will be baptized in the Church as a baby. My others were not baptized as infants, but young enough not to remember.

Blessings,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Tsarina

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 05:23:16 PM »

My Oldest is named Annakah which means "Sweet Face". Her baptized name is Theodora Ionna, from St. Theodora who fought Iconoclasm.

My second is named Rivkah which means "unfettered beauty". Her baptized name is Tamara Irene, named from St. Tamara, the Queen of Georgia who defended Orthodoxy from the Mongol Hordes.

My latest edition is named Mishka Tatjanna. She will be baptized in the Church as a baby. My others were not baptized as infants, but young enough not to remember.

Blessings,
Panagiotis

Theodora, Tamara and Miskka. Beautiful names! I never heard the name "Mishka" before. Where does that name come from?

St. Nectary of Optina
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 06:37:08 PM »

Theodora, Tamara and Miskka. Beautiful names! I never heard the name "Mishka" before. Where does that name come from?

Thank you! My wife and I both rack our brains for something special to name our children.
Mishka is a Russo-Slavic version of Mikela, Michaela, Mikheila or however you want to feminize the name Michael. The name means "Who is like God?" We found the name Mischa and was figuring out how to feminize it. So we transliterated it somewhat, trying to retain the name in meaning. Our Priest approved of the name so she will have two wonderful intercessors watching over her: the Archangel Michael and Tatiana the Martyr of Rome.

Christ is in our midst,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 08:58:12 PM »

Im gonna name my sons Mateja (Mathew), Lazar and Konstantin (Kosta). And If if I have a uhhh...daughter Roll Eyes It will be Tatjana Smiley

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 10:20:22 PM »

We chose all of our childrens names from the Old and new Testament and had no problems when we converted  we all could retain our Christian names with Patron Saints that were Orthodox. We originally chose our children's names with the eye to the Bible and the meaning of tehir name.  Coming from an American Indian background my family always new what the name of each child meant and it has been taught to the child despite teh fact that we are 4 generations away from beingm full blooded.  Each Child proudly wears their name and we hope use it as an example of how they should live and witness in their life.

Their names are : Miriam Elizabeth, Thomas-Aaron, Jacob, Hannah Nichole, Saria Michal.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tsarina

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 10:48:13 PM »

Thank you! My wife and I both rack our brains for something special to name our children.
Mishka is a Russo-Slavic version of Mikela, Michaela, Mikheila or however you want to feminize the name Michael. The name means "Who is like God?" We found the name Mischa and was figuring out how to feminize it. So we transliterated it somewhat, trying to retain the name in meaning. Our Priest approved of the name so she will have two wonderful intercessors watching over her: the Archangel Michael and Tatiana the Martyr of Rome.

Christ is in our midst,
Panagiotis

Thanks for answering my question, interesting to know. When i read the name "Miskka" i thought perhaps it was probably realated to "Misha" as in Michael in Russian.  Nice name! and thank's for sharing.

Im gonna name my sons Mateja (Mathew), Lazar and Konstantin (Kosta). And If if I have a uhhh...daughter Roll Eyes It will be Tatjana Smiley

LoL. It seems like you don't like the idea of having a daughter?

We chose all of our childrens names from the Old and new Testament and had no problems when we converted  we all could retain our Christian names with Patron Saints that were Orthodox. We originally chose our children's names with the eye to the Bible and the meaning of tehir name.  Coming from an American Indian background my family always new what the name of each child meant and it has been taught to the child despite teh fact that we are 4 generations away from beingm full blooded.  Each Child proudly wears their name and we hope use it as an example of how they should live and witness in their life.

Their names are : Miriam Elizabeth, Thomas-Aaron, Jacob, Hannah Nichole, Saria Michal.

In Christ,
Thomas

I'm glad each child proudly wears their name. It is important that the kids do know the meaning of the name, and the Saint that it came from.

Beautiful names for the kids! I never heard of "Saria" before, i'll look into it.

St. Nectary of Optina
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 02:09:19 AM »

My eldest is William Åžtefan Vlad (his patron is Åžtefan cel Mare). William is a family name (though Wilhelm as that side of the family is German) and Vlad was chosen just because it's one of my wife's favourite names. William is also a western saint's name, San. Guillermo de Penacorada from Spain. My youngest is Sabina Daniela Ioana. The story with her names is similar. Her patron is Daniil Sihastru, Sabina is her great grandmother's name and that of a western (Roman) 4th century martyr and Ioana was chosen because my wife has always liked it. We have a good pair in terms of the children's patrons as Daniil was the spiritual father of Åžtefan. Both children were born reasonably close to their patrons' feast days. In fact, Sabina was due on Daniil's feast day, she just chose not to wait quite that long.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 10:55:02 AM »

Well, I had some advice from my mother to start with.  Pick something that you wouldn't be ashamed to be called yourself in old age.  Example, would you really like to see your child in the old age home someday "Oh Britney Tiffany Amber, it's time for your medication" by some 20 something year old aide.

My kids all have classic English names.  Some are Biblical, and it turns out that some are quite Greek without me knowing it originally! Somehow it ended up that all of them (except one) have a name that a king or queen has had.  Some have family names.  I have never specifically looked for biblical names or picked anything that was popular at a time knowingly.

Sara Elizabeth (Sara not Sarah because it looked better written out with our last name)
Katherine Helena (her middle name came from a movie, Boxing Helena. Not in tribute, but because I just could not think of a middle name and that one sounded good)
Diana Rose.  (People think I named her after Princess Diana, but in fact I had picked Diana before she was killed, and Rose is what my Oldest said we should use after we saw Titanic.)
James Robert
William Nelson

ok, on the boys: Originally I was going to name the kid William James if it was a boy, and Tessa Grace if it was a girl.   Then I found out it was twins, and boys, so I split the names.  Nelson is my mother's maiden name, and Robert is my hub's grandfather's name.  I wanted it to be James Nelson and William Robert, but Hub said no it had to be the other way.  He didnt think about Willie Nelson until it was too late. I like to say I told you so a lot.  I could have named one Lafayette after my Great Great grandfather, so they still got off light. Wink
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 11:14:43 AM »

Her name is Hope Elizabeth.

My wife and I had been having trouble getting pregnant for a while and we were starting to worry, so we had Fr. bless us w/holy water.  Around the time of conception was the commemoration of St. John the Forerunner and that of his mother Elizabeth, as well.  So this family, apparently, was looking out for the little one.  If she were a boy, we would have named her John Davis (Davis being Audra's mom's maiden name), but the "Hope" part for Hope Elizabeth was literally the only name we could come up with that we both agreed on.

Now I kind of wish she'd been baptized Hope, as then she'd be called by her saint's name.  Well, maybe next kid.   Undecided

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 11:41:58 AM »

My wife and I had been having trouble getting pregnant for a while and we were starting to worry...

This stuff drives me crazy. How can the BOTH of you get pregnant? The both of you can own a house, a car, a TV, but the BOTH of you CANNOT get pregnant.

You are a TEACHER. Use the language correctly.  Wink

Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 12:21:13 PM »

Originally I was going to name the kid William James if it was a boy, and Tessa Grace if it was a girl.  ÃƒÆ’‚ Then I found out it was twins, and boys, so I split the names.  Nelson is my mother's maiden name, and Robert is my hub's grandfather's name.  I wanted it to be James Nelson and William Robert, but Hub said no it had to be the other way.  He didnt think about Willie Nelson until it was too late. I like to say I told you so a lot.  I could have named one Lafayette after my Great Great grandfather, so they still got off light. Wink
  William Robert can be shortened to Billy Bob; maybe William Nelson isn't so bad.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 12:57:59 PM »

This stuff drives me crazy. How can the BOTH of you get pregnant? The both of you can own a house, a car, a TV, but the BOTH of you CANNOT get pregnant.

You are a TEACHER. Use the language correctly.ÂÂ  Wink

Yes, sir.  ÃƒÆ’‚ Wink  How's this: My wife and I were having trouble getting her pregnant?

(Edited, ironically enough, to correct a grammar error!)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 12:58:34 PM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tsarina

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 02:15:19 PM »

All of these names are unique and beautiful. It's fun to see how you guys have picked them.

James, Sabina is a pretty name. I have a cousin named Sabina, but she is not Orthodox. Is there an icon for St. Sabina? I would like to see it. Smiley

St. Nectary of Optina
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 03:32:55 PM »

Serbians don't necesarrily give Orthodox names (that being after a particular Saint) rather we often give traditional Serbian names.

My son is named Dejan.  Not sure what the English translation would be, but I suppose Daniel.  I have also read the following definition

"Possibly derived from Slavic deja meaning "to do something, to act". Otherwise it may be related to Latin deus "god"."

We named him "Dejan" because of two soccer players I like (Dejan Savicevic & Dejan Stankovic).

As for any that follow, if #2 is a boy (like Sloga), I will probably name him Mateja, after a Serbian soccer player (Mateja Kezman).

If #2 is a girl, my wife like Maja. Which is said to be a cognate of "Maia".  In Greek and Roman mythology she was the eldest of the Pleiades, the group of seven stars in the constellation Taurus, who were the daughters of Atlas and Pleione. Her son by Zeus was Hermes.

Other names we would consider:

1.  Lazar

2.  Dusan

3.  Dragan (no, not Dragon - lol)

4.  Simo (my grandfather)

5.  Darko

6.  Svetlana

7.  Natasha

Hey Sloga, you forgot Uros from your list! Grin

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
TomS
Banned
Archon

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 03:55:29 PM »

Dang! Don't you people believe in assimilation! You are in America now!ÂÂ  Shocked Wink

In the words of Randy Newman - "If you don't like it, go back to your own miserable country".

« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 03:56:35 PM by TomS » Logged
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 04:08:25 PM »

Ah ha... but I'm from Canada.

Haven't you heard of Melting pot vs. Mixing bowl?  Multiculturalism not assimilation. Wink

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 04:16:37 PM »

Hey Sloga, you forgot Uros from your list! Grin

But I can only have so many sons, I'm not trying to repopulate Kosovo or something Roll Eyes

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Tsarina

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 06:13:09 PM »

But I can only have so many sons, I'm not trying to repopulate Kosovo or something Roll Eyes

You're trying to create an army or somthing?  Tongue I would like to have many many sons, but a girl, i wouldn't mind. Whatever God grants.

St. Nectary of Optina
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 08:46:19 PM »

You're trying to create an army or somthing?ÂÂ  Tongue I would like to have many many sons, but a girl, i wouldn't mind. Whatever God grants.

I dont have anything against a girl, aslong as I can teach her to play sports Smiley
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 08:46:31 PM by Sloga » Logged

Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 01:53:25 AM »

If I ever get married and have children which I can maybe see laaaater on...their names would be one of these:

Males: Spiros, Michali, Yiorgo, Jimmy
Females: Irene, Martina, Ula, Stavroula, Lavrentia (my sister's name)
Zoe
Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 02:17:25 AM »

I suppose Greeks have it easy?ÂÂ  Just name the kids after the grandparents.

edit: and if there's more then four, well, THEN you can start getting creative!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 02:17:59 AM by Zoe » Logged

NI!!!!!!
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 02:24:49 AM »

All of these names are unique and beautiful. It's fun to see how you guys have picked them.

James, Sabina is a pretty name. I have a cousin named Sabina, but she is not Orthodox. Is there an icon for St. Sabina? I would like to see it. Smiley

I've never seen an icon of St. Sabina. I've seen Roman Catholic artwork (there's a famous church dedicated to her in Rome) but no icon. My wife's grandmother (the other Sabina in the family) has likewise never seen an icon of her so if one does exist it must be unusual (just like it's unusual for a Romanian to be called Sabina). I've spoken to an iconographer on another forum about having icons of Sts. Sabina and William of Penacorada written when I can afford to do so. St. Sabina would be the first one I would choose as it would be nice to show it to my wife's grandmother while she's still with us. The iconographer I spoke to has likewise never seen an icon of either saint but says it will be possible for him to design some especially for me. If I ever get the icon, and if I remember, I'll post the picture on here for you to see.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 10:45:30 AM »

ÂÂ  William Robert can be shortened to Billy Bob; maybe William Nelson isn't so bad.

Believe me, I know.  DH likes to call the other one Jim Bob. He thinks he's funny.
Tsarina

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 09:47:34 PM »

I dont have anything against a girl, aslong as I can teach her to play sports Smiley

Haha. Of course you can teach her how to play sports. I'm a big fan of Volleyball and Soccer and i play both... well i did last year, this year i've gotten lazy.

Btw, i have to say that your avatar is really cool.  Tongue

St. Nectary of Optina
Tsarina

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2006, 09:48:55 PM »

I've never seen an icon of St. Sabina. I've seen Roman Catholic artwork (there's a famous church dedicated to her in Rome) but no icon. My wife's grandmother (the other Sabina in the family) has likewise never seen an icon of her so if one does exist it must be unusual (just like it's unusual for a Romanian to be called Sabina). I've spoken to an iconographer on another forum about having icons of Sts. Sabina and William of Penacorada written when I can afford to do so. St. Sabina would be the first one I would choose as it would be nice to show it to my wife's grandmother while she's still with us. The iconographer I spoke to has likewise never seen an icon of either saint but says it will be possible for him to design some especially for me. If I ever get the icon, and if I remember, I'll post the picture on here for you to see.

James

Thank you, James. I hope you do get that icon one day, you would probably be the first to have an icon of St. Sabina.  Tongue

St. Nectary of Optina
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2006, 10:34:52 PM »

Haha. Of course you can teach her how to play sports. I'm a big fan of Volleyball and Soccer and i play both... well i did last year, this year i've gotten lazy.

Btw, i have to say that your avatar is really cool.ÂÂ  Tongue

Thank you, thats probably the 15th compliment I've gotten for my avatar  Cheesy

Yea, I know if I have a daugheter I can make her an athlete, but at the same time I'd worry more about a girl in todays world than a son. Know what I mean?

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 10:59:19 AM »

We chose names that were both saints *and* had family connections.  That last part was a bit tricky as many of the old family names are not ones that we were willing to use (and they didn't fit the "Saint" requirement, some of them.)  Wilmer, Leota and Loeta (twins), Murzell (from a french novel according to family legend) Willard (not after the "Rat" movie), and others were all given the go-by.  Wink

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tsarina

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2006, 07:08:23 PM »

Thank you, thats probably the 15th compliment I've gotten for my avatar  Cheesy

Yea, I know if I have a daughter I can make her an athlete, but at the same time I'd worry more about a girl in todays world than a son. Know what I mean?

Yes, i do know what you mean! I myself would worry more about having a girl in the society we have today than a boy. The girls easily become influenced or become victims of some sort.

My Hubby and i talk about this all the time. But we also thought that we should be happy to have boy AND girl if God grants it, because they're cases were some can conceive at all... and that's really depressing and such a struggle for those couples.

St. Nectary of Optina
OrthodoxAndrew
Unworthy of being called Orthodox

St. Andrew the Apostle

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2006, 02:01:19 AM »

Here is the list of names I like...

Boy

Moses (St. Moses the Ethiopian)
Isaac (St. Isaac of Syria)
Elijah (Prophet Elijah)
Ambrose (St. Ambrose of Optina)
Solomon (Holy King Solomon)
Isaiah (Prophet Isaiah)
Vladimir (St. Vladimir, Baptizer of the Rus)

Girl

Theodora (St. Theodora the Empress)
Anastasia (St. Anastasia the Royal-Martyr)
Solomonia (St. Solomonia of the OT)

"Do what you want in order to send me as soon as possible from this transient life to eternal life. I am Christ's slave, I follow Christ, for Christ I die that I may live with Him!" - St. John of Decapolis before his martyrdom at the hands of the Turkish Muslims.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2006, 06:52:51 PM »

I should have added

Ours are: James, Catherine and Thomas

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2006, 07:01:42 PM »

I suppose Greeks have it easy?ÂÂ  Just name the kids after the grandparents.

edit: and if there's more then four, well, THEN you can start getting creative!ÂÂ  Cheesy
I am not sure if this applies to all areas of Greece, but I surely recall multple children from different male siblings (brothers) all receiving the same grandparents names - especailly the firstborn of each. This is parodied well in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". How many Anitas and how many Nicks?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2006, 09:47:35 PM »

You are a TEACHER. Use the language correctly.ÂÂ  Wink

So how did I get pregnant??
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2006, 10:42:37 AM »

How many Anitas and how many Nicks?

That's exactly what happened at camp last year, we were picking our kids up and some little boy ran shouting to his mom "MOM! I have new friends! Nick, Nick, Nick and Nicholas!!!!" I about died trying not to laugh.  Cheesy
Zoe
Elder

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2006, 01:25:21 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9157.msg123423#msg123423 date=1149721302]
I am not sure if this applies to all areas of Greece, but I surely recall multple children from different male siblings (brothers) all receiving the same grandparents names - especailly the firstborn of each. This is parodied well in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". How many Anitas and how many Nicks?
[/quote]

Haha...yeah.  I didn't even notice it was weird until that movie - is that bad?  Embarrassed

There's two Zoe's and two Nikitas' on my mom's side.  Which required the need for nicknames such as "big" and "little" and other variations with the endings of names, like Zoitsa or Zoakie.  I suppose you end up getting creative regardless, lol.

NI!!!!!!
Tsarina

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2006, 04:13:07 PM »

Here is the list of names I like...

Boy

Moses (St. Moses the Ethiopian)
Isaac (St. Isaac of Syria)
Elijah (Prophet Elijah)
Ambrose (St. Ambrose of Optina)
Solomon (Holy King Solomon)
Isaiah (Prophet Isaiah)
Vladimir (St. Vladimir, Baptizer of the Rus)

Girl

Theodora (St. Theodora the Empress)
Anastasia (St. Anastasia the Royal-Martyr)
Solomonia (St. Solomonia of the OT)

I LOVE your list.  Wink

St. Nectary of Optina
Colum597
INVICTUS MANEO!

Holy God pleaser Columba, pray for us!

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 02:08:40 PM »

After one miscarriage and years of being unable to conceive, by God's grace, we were able to adopt a newborn girl.  Her birth parents were not married and were unable to support her.

We named her Brigid Grace.  Grace, in thanksgiving to God for His grace shown to us in giving us this child.  Brigid after St. Brigid of Ireland.  I did not know it at the time but St. Brigid is patron of children born to parents who are not married.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 02:15:28 PM by Colum597 » Logged

"This life has been given to you for repentance, do not waste it in vain pursuits." 
St. Isaac of Syria
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2006, 08:52:33 PM »

Hi everyone,

Long time, no see. 

Anyone have any advice for an Orthodox name with Spanish 'connections?' 

I'm adopting a baby from Guatemala and while it's a little early for me to be picking out names (still waiting for approval from INS), I can't help thinking about this.  Right now I'm thinking:

Leah Ann
Ruth Elena
Elena Ann
Sofia Ann

Leah's from the Bible so I assume she's a saint.  According to Behind the Name, Elena is a variation of Helena.  Sofia's a little too trendy for me. 

If I was having a biological child, I'd give her a name that is more Russian, e.g. Natalia or Tatyanna, but I want to honor her heritage. 

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2006, 10:03:50 PM »

I don't know about a Spanish connection but Elena is my daughter's name; so I'm a bit biased  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2006, 11:19:26 PM »

Well, one of my daughters is named Sophia, but you earlier mentioned it was too 'trendy'.

Another daughter is named 'Marisa', which is a permutation of Maria, and also has some Spanish connections...

Both girls are very happy, cheerful, and my joys!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 11:29:58 PM by chris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2006, 11:24:53 PM »

Boys..
Photios, Konstantinos, Savvas, Sabbas, Mark (Ephesus), Gregory (Palamas)

Girls..
Kassiani

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2006, 08:48:28 AM »

Tsarina:

We named our lovely daughter Diana after Princess Diana. Her baptism name is Nicole after St. Nicholas her patron, and mine too. If she were a boy our pick was Aleksander.

Dan

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
strebekah
Homeschooling mom to a whole slew of kiddies

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2006, 06:57:27 PM »

Our first three children were pre-Orthodox: Jeffrey (named after Daddy); Amanda Lynn (when dh was in a blue grass gospel group) and Moriah Faith (because Abraham showed his faith on Mt. Moriah).

When we were chrismated/baptised our priest at the time gave us the lives of three Saints which he thought appropriate for them. So they became: Herman (Father HErman of Alaska); Irene (Great martyr Irene) and Anna (Mother of the Theotokos).

Our fourth child came pre-conversion but when we figured we would not be reformed Baptist much longer. Mid-pregnancy he went from being called "Calvin Wesley" to Timothy Augustine. His patron is Holy Apostle Timothy.

Our next three have all been born post-conversion and so all have "Orthodox" names:
Alexander Raphael=St Alexander Hotovitsky and St Raphael, Bishop of Brooklyn
Andrew Silouan=St Andrew, the first called and St Silouan the Athonite
Symeon John=St Symeon the New Theologian and St John of Kronstast

Our names are usually picked by my husband mainly with me giving my OK. LOL And the trend has been that whomever he is reading at the time comes into play at some point. LOL

Future names I would like:
Anastasia
Tatiana
Seraphim or Seraphima
Adrian

PEople of our parish are really wonderful about offering names such as Barsinouphios and the like. LOL

Rebecca
Wife of the Subdeacon Nicodemus
Mom to Herman (15); Irene (13); Anna (10); Timothy (7); Alexander (5); Andrew (2) and Symeon John (5 months)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2006, 10:43:16 AM »

While I don't have kids...

The three of us ended up being named after grandparents: George, Priscilla, and Yiannis (John).
But we do have cousins who ended up breaking that mould: Andrew (only 2 people - father and son - in the whole family),  Jennifer Susan (St. Sussana, one of the Myhrr-bearing women), Alexander and Jason (we also have a Sophia, and multiple Georges...).

My favorite pain-in-the-rear suggestion to make to expectant mothers: Pahpnoutios.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2006, 08:27:23 PM »

My favorite pain-in-the-rear suggestion to make to expectant mothers: Pahpnoutios.

Cheesy Cheesy  And have any of the ladies bitten you yet?  A LOOK from an expectant mother can maim you know.
 Wink

Ebor

Tags: Names children baby 
Pages: 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: