Author Topic: Resources on Finding a Spouse/Good Marriage  (Read 3443 times)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Resources on Finding a Spouse/Good Marriage
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2016, 05:57:56 PM »
So did you find the spouse
lol!  My only question is if people have something good and spiritual they can share and recommend (reading or listening) from an Orthodox perspective.  So this topic might never end.  If a new book or podcast came out that you think is food for thought on the subject, post it here.  Preferably from those who are married or guided married folks.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2016, 11:03:16 PM »
lol!  My only question is if people have something good and spiritual they can share and recommend (reading or listening) from an Orthodox perspective.  So this topic might never end.  If a new book or podcast came out that you think is food for thought on the subject, post it here.  Preferably from those who are married or guided married folks.
Just a question out of the blue, huh?
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2016, 11:32:31 PM »
Well, yea...but also given the fact that you do want to be with a person who you hope and pray is not going to lead to break-up, and not just another date I'm having.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2016, 01:59:11 PM »

Jealous? 
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2016, 02:29:07 PM »

Jealous?
Nah Coptic dudes aren't my type, plus I don't have any metrics on his canthal tilt
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2016, 06:01:43 PM »

My eye thanks you

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2016, 09:24:43 AM »
You should build a little pyramid to be entombed with her when the time to reach Aaru comes. Chicks love pyramids.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2016, 04:59:42 PM »
On a functional level, marriage is almost entirely cultural, with a heavy dose of personal psychopathology.

Marriage 'cookbooks' that promise to give you skills to build a bliss and happiness will likely, under the best of circumstances, only work in limited cases.

My advice for a happy marriage: the woman gives the man lots of food, sex, and respect.  The man gives the woman a feeling of security, comfort, and affirmation.  How those are accomplished is culturally shaped.

Around these six things all marriages hang.  Where one is lacking (according to the particular tastes and needs of the receiving partner), there will be problems.  Also, the other two cannot balance out a lack in the third.

There, I saved you $40 buying books through Amazon Prime.    8)

This is why FrG is my online Spiritual FatherTM.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2016, 05:11:41 PM »

Jealous?

If you liked it, you would have put a ring on it.

Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2016, 05:56:41 PM »

Jealous?

If you liked it, you would have put a ring on it.

You are an evil, odious, disgusting non-man, and I hate you.
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2016, 07:50:59 PM »
I love you, Mor.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2016, 02:39:33 PM »
Chicks love pyramids.
Because they love a man who's able to bring home the grain.