Author Topic: How to answer kids' theological questions  (Read 306 times)

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
How to answer kids' theological questions
« on: July 19, 2016, 10:28:52 PM »
My son has been going to VBS at the church where he has gone to daycare for the past two years.  He has been enjoying it and seeing his friends again.  Anyway, I was talking with him about what he learned and he said a few things I felt I needed to correct especially when he said that they were learning about Jesus, not God (his words, not those of the VBS teachers).  To which I replied that Jesus is God.  Then comes the inevitable question, "Why?"  How do you answer these kind of questions so that a four year old can get it?  I'm not expecting him to be an Orthodox apologist at age four but I would like to give him some sort of head start when it comes to the beliefs of the Church. 

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: How to answer kids' theological questions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 10:34:31 PM »
Do you and your son have the same surname? 
Mor is always the best :P

Mor gives each new member a golden shirt!  !trihs nedlog a rebmem wen hcae sevig roM 

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 10:38:41 PM »

I see what you're getting at. I'll try that. Thanks.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:43:35 PM »

No problem! 
Mor is always the best :P

Mor gives each new member a golden shirt!  !trihs nedlog a rebmem wen hcae sevig roM 

Offline nikolaj

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 06:14:01 AM »
“Conversations With Children” by Sister Magdalen is a very good and useful book. I honestly recommend it.

Not only that it can help us talk to children about faith, but can also make us understand some concepts better than we could before. Sister Magdalen explains it in a way that a child can understand. For example, I was always a bit puzzled by deep theological explanations about the Holy Trinity. I finally understood the concept of hypostasis after reading the chapter about it in her book.

Another thing worth noting is that the book also opened me to learn from my child as well. My daughter is similar age as your son. At this age they are still in full grace, as father Thaddeus said. They understand naturally some things that we find complicated due to our unlearning through growing up. That way, practice really solidifies what we learnt from the book. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:16:00 AM by nikolaj »

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 01:12:17 PM »

You should have a few years yet before needing to add the "one essence" addendum. 
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 10:46:06 AM »

You should have a few years yet before needing to add the "one essence" addendum.

I think I actually said that the other night and he just looked at me as if I were speaking in Greek.  Maybe I should just go ahead and explain theology to him in Greek.

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 10:46:38 AM »
“Conversations With Children” by Sister Magdalen is a very good and useful book. I honestly recommend it.

Not only that it can help us talk to children about faith, but can also make us understand some concepts better

I'll look it up. Thanks for the recommendation.

Offline RaphaCam

• Hyperdox kid
  • OC.net guru
  • The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan!
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 02:17:57 PM »

I think I actually said that the other night and he just looked at me as if I were speaking in Greek.  Maybe I should just go ahead and explain theology to him in Greek.
Try explaining the Chalcedonian Schism to him before bedtime.  ;D
But the Lord is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him. (Holy Habakkuk 2:20)

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 10:25:56 PM »
We model a way of life to our children. There's no way to get out of this -- it's just a question of what way of life we ultimately model. Piety is not really different from anything else, in this way. A child will observe people whose own ways of living vary widely from ours, in all kinds of ways. For examples -- financial decisions, alcohol use, etc. So not varying in our own beliefs and habits due to any frailty of doubt (Jas. 1:6-8) is a much more powerful teacher than any verbal explanations we might come up with (not to say those are not important too).

I do wonder why your son is attending a heterodox Bible school? No doubt there's a part of the story I haven't heard about.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 10:33:56 PM »

I do wonder why your son is attending a heterodox Bible school? No doubt there's a part of the story I haven't heard about.

Not that it's your business, but
1)  It's at the same place his day care is.  He goes there a couple times a week as we move and get the new house ready.
2)  My church doesn't offer one.

Anything else about my family life that I need to tell you about for your approval?

Offline Svartzorn

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 11:34:08 PM »
Found that today:

https://www.amazon.com/Raising-Them-Right-Saints-Children/dp/0962271306

Thinking about acquiring it.
Well, I think we should all answer children's questions with simplicity. That's pretty much my advice.
Death to the world dodos.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 12:16:22 AM »

Not that it's your business, but
1)  It's at the same place his day care is.  He goes there a couple times a week as we move and get the new house ready.
2)  My church doesn't offer one.

Anything else about my family life that I need to tell you about for your approval?

I am pretty sure I'm in a thread in which you made it other posters' business.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy