OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 03:47:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moscow's First Gay Pride Parade Disrupted by Police and Hecklers  (Read 40544 times) Average Rating: 0
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #225 on: November 20, 2006, 03:15:54 PM »

Was St. John Chrysostom married? If we follow this logic, we should also reject St. John Chrysostom's teaching on contraception and abortifacients as being unauthoritative.

My point was that within the Church birth control, when permitted, is permitted only between married couples. Therefore, it makes no sense for a single person to argue about it, it doesn't concern him. St John Chrysostom, on the other hand, was a clergyman with responsibility for his flock.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 03:17:55 PM by CRCulver » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #226 on: November 20, 2006, 06:22:13 PM »

My point was that within the Church birth control, when permitted, is permitted only between married couples. Therefore, it makes no sense for a single person to argue about it, it doesn't concern him. St John Chrysostom, on the other hand, was a clergyman with responsibility for his flock.

Any issue that is even claimed to be theological by anyone concerns everyone. Though your statements bring up an interesting question. Should a sexually active single person use contraception? If not, why?

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #227 on: November 22, 2006, 04:32:39 PM »

Should a sexually active single person use contraception? If not, why?
More importantly, should the Church gives it's approval to either the sexual activity outside of marriage or the use of contraception.

I've certainly seen nothing to suggest that it does.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #228 on: November 22, 2006, 05:22:07 PM »

More importantly, should the Church gives it's approval to either the sexual activity outside of marriage or the use of contraception.

I've certainly seen nothing to suggest that it does.

I fear you're begging the question. I dont think there is any dispute as to whether or not sex outside of marriage is immoral. But if it is a given, as is often the case, why do you recommend against contraception in particular.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #229 on: November 24, 2006, 11:19:39 AM »

I dont think there is any dispute as to whether or not sex outside of marriage is immoral. But if it is a given, as is often the case, why do you recommend against contraception in particular.
If it is a given, as you suggest, then the question becomes whether or not one should conduct themselves so as to suggest approval. I believe it is wrong for an Orthodox Christian to ever suggest they are acquiescing to sin.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #230 on: November 24, 2006, 11:47:39 AM »

If it is a given, as you suggest, then the question becomes whether or not one should conduct themselves so as to suggest approval. I believe it is wrong for an Orthodox Christian to ever suggest they are acquiescing to sin.

It is not necessary to acquiesce to a sin in order to pragmatically deal with the reality of a situation. It is not that difficult to express one's dissatisfaction without alienating the person involved and then actually addressing the practical implications without even giving the façade of moral agreement. What I am asking is not whether one should convey approval but whether one should encourage life-saving disease prevention despite moral disagreement.

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #231 on: November 27, 2006, 10:41:37 PM »

Elder Cleopa of Romania said that Canonical persons who fornicate should be excommunicated for at least 3 years. This comes from an extreemley gracious, pious man, who will probably be cannonized as a saint. This 3 years is under the assumption that the person is in deep repentance over what they have done. In my observation over the years, I wonder if many of the Orthodox churches have become too permissive to fornicators in the church. Elder Cleopa said that this was all based from the cannons. What do y'all say???

As for me, if a person if fornicating, it makes no difference whether they use contraceptives because they are living in sin. What does it matter?? It would probably be better for them to use contraceptives because the last thing they need is to bring a child into the world.

Bagpiper in da house

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2006, 12:10:49 AM »

Elder Cleopa of Romania said that Canonical persons who fornicate should be excommunicated for at least 3 years. This comes from an extreemley gracious, pious man, who will probably be cannonized as a saint. This 3 years is under the assumption that the person is in deep repentance over what they have done. In my observation over the years, I wonder if many of the Orthodox churches have become too permissive to fornicators in the church. Elder Cleopa said that this was all based from the cannons. What do y'all say???

Of course such a penance would be absurd and harmful in our modern cultural context; however, with that said Cleopa here is being far more lenient than the strictness of the canons which canonizes fornicators for between 7 and 10 years depending on the synod or father.

As for me, if a person if fornicating, it makes no difference whether they use contraceptives because they are living in sin. What does it matter?? It would probably be better for them to use contraceptives because the last thing they need is to bring a child into the world.

Which is in large part the point of the arguments I have put forward, if someone has made up their minds to live in sin it is very likely that there is nothing one can do to change that. But we still have a moral responsibility to look out for the physical well-being of said person.

BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2006, 08:48:34 AM »

In my observation over the years, I wonder if many of the Orthodox churches have become too permissive to fornicators in the church.
It's pretty clear that the people in the Church have become far more tolerant of sin. One needs only review some of the posts here to see some even support the idea of parades where people declare themselves proud of their sin.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #234 on: November 28, 2006, 08:57:52 AM »

One needs only review some of the posts here to see some even support the idea of parades where people declare themselves proud of their sin.
You mean those people on this thread who opposed the idea of the Orthodox Church aligning itself with NeoNazi fascist thugs?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 08:58:19 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #235 on: November 28, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »

You mean those people on this thread who opposed the idea of the Orthodox Church aligning itself with NeoNazi fascist thugs?
Ah, so now anyone who holds the traditional Orthodox Christian teaching on homosexuality is a "NeoNazi fascist thug" eh?

Fascinating.  Undecided
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #236 on: November 28, 2006, 04:44:03 PM »

Ah, so now anyone who holds the traditional Orthodox Christian teaching on homosexuality is a "NeoNazi fascist thug" eh?

Huh Errr....No.....
Sorry, but I thought you read the original article posted in this thread, but obviously you haven't, so let me explain:
Skinheads are NeoNazi fascist thugs. Or do you consider them to be keepers of "the traditional Orthodox Christian teaching" in your Church?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #237 on: November 28, 2006, 07:28:13 PM »

So if skinheads come out in favor of abstinence before marriage, you expect the Church to suddenly oppose it?

Of course not! Likewise, all Orthodox Christians should be the keepers of the traditional teachings of OUR Church.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 07:29:16 PM by BoredMeeting » Logged
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #238 on: November 28, 2006, 08:23:25 PM »

So if skinheads come out in favor of abstinence before marriage, you expect the Church to suddenly oppose it?

Of course not! Likewise, all Orthodox Christians should be the keepers of the traditional teachings of OUR Church.
The point is, what those people were doing was not Christian, it was not done in love.  Protesting gays is not going to win them for Christ!  It's going to bring them farther from Jesus because they will think those skinheads represent the Church, and since the skinheads are clearly filled with HATE for gays, then gays will think the Church is likewise filled with hatred.  All correction must be done in love or it's not really Christian.

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #239 on: November 29, 2006, 10:19:00 AM »

All correction must be done in love or it's not really Christian.
It would seem that some of the posters reject the concept that any correction is required at all and that's a concept that any Orthodox Christian must reject.
antiderivative
Elder

Faith: Northeastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: A jurisdiction

« Reply #240 on: June 01, 2008, 05:26:24 PM »

I think ever since the Soviet Union fell, Russia has tried to restore it's Orthodoxy and pre-revolutionary culture. While it's a good thing for them to have certain freedoms, they probably feel threatened by Western philosophies trying to enter the country. This is why it's hard for Protestant and Catholic missionaries there. I certainly disagree with Russian's religious restrictions on Protestants and Catholics, but really, does the Russian government really think any Orthodox Christian will fall for a 45 minute Bible study, sitting down, and only twice a week, to the Divine Liturgy?

The same effect is on Homosexuals. While much of the West has tried to turn the gay pride movement into some sort of 1964 civil rights movement, Eastern European culture is very different. Notice that almost all supporters of this gay pride march in Moscow were people from America, Canada, and Western Europe! And only persecuting this movement will turn it into a crusade and Westerners will make a big deal of it.

The advantage of allowing these parades is that it might prevent it from getting bigger. If the event isn't illegal, than the parade will be boring to go to in the first place. The disadvantage of allowing the parade is that Moscow citizens may attack it and further it's media attention and Western sympathy. Maybe the mayor could just say it's not allowed do to the safety of the protesters.

Showing it hostility will only put a bad name on Orthodox Christians, especially for what little Westerners know of them.

signature
JustinianPrima
Banned
Elder

« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2008, 05:58:22 PM »

We cannot expect the government to take over our mission for us. Dare I say, Spiritual Welfare? I would much rather have a Christian support a government that will not obstruct 'immorality' knowing full well that it is our job 'fix' this through the Church and means given and revealed to us.

Love is not always a pleasant attribute. Sometimes in order to love someone, you must tell them: you're wrong, get a job, you're grounded, get out of bed and eat or you'll die -as we should do to ourselves when we attempt to love ourselves.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 06:03:00 PM by JustinianPrima » Logged

This poster was also registered under the username "macedonia74" and had been banned from OCnet under that name.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #242 on: June 05, 2008, 05:03:12 PM »

It would seem that some of the posters reject the concept that any correction is required at all and that's a concept that any Orthodox Christian must reject.

Exactamundo!  Cool

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #243 on: September 27, 2009, 05:55:36 PM »

ÂÂ  Am I the only one who finds it disturbing that Orthodox Christians are amoung extremist bigots?ÂÂ  

No. You're not the only one.

Ditto!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #244 on: September 27, 2009, 11:04:19 PM »

^ So do you have something to add, or do you just enjoy resurrecting long-dormant threads for no good reason?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #245 on: September 27, 2009, 11:15:23 PM »

^ So do you have something to add, or do you just enjoy resurrecting long-dormant threads for no good reason?
I just joined Politics and was going through the several treads. I felt the need to reassure Zoe. You gave problems with being succinct?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #246 on: September 27, 2009, 11:22:41 PM »

I just joined Politics and was going through the several treads. I felt the need to reassure Zoe. You gave problems with being succinct?
1. This isn't the Politics forum.
2. Zoe hasn't logged on in over a year, and so is unlikely to be reassured by your post.
3. Your post had nothing of substance. Being succinct is making a point in very few words, and therefore in order to be succinct, one must actually make a point.

Look, I've got nothing against resurrecting a thread if you have something to add, but if you don't, just smile and move on.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #247 on: September 28, 2009, 01:08:54 AM »

Look, I've got nothing against resurrecting a thread if you have something to add, but if you don't, just smile and move on.

^ Yeah!
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #248 on: September 28, 2009, 01:40:02 PM »

1. This isn't the Politics forum.
2. Zoe hasn't logged on in over a year, and so is unlikely to be reassured by your post.
3. Your post had nothing of substance. Being succinct is making a point in very few words, and therefore in order to be succinct, one must actually make a point.

unless you want this old thread to continue, then smile and move on.  Grin

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags: homosexuality 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: