OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 06:43:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wedding Planning difficulties  (Read 1317 times) Average Rating: 0
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« on: May 26, 2006, 11:59:05 AM »

My fiancee Melanie and I are planning to get married next year.  I'm facing some difficulties from my parents however (particularly my mother) in regards to the planning of the wedding & reception, and it is causing quite a bit of stress and difficulty.  Please pray for Melanie and I, as well as my parents, that we may all come to a peaceful agreement in the Lord's presence regarding this situation.  Thank you.

In the Risen Christ,

Michael

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 01:31:09 PM »

Lord have mercy!

To have discord over wedding reception planning truly is ironic when we think of the nature of marriage being a reflection of the love and concord within the Trinity...

My prayers are with you.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 02:10:53 PM »

To have discord over wedding reception planning truly is ironic when we think of the nature of marriage being a reflection of the love and concord within the Trinity...

True, yet how common it is.  SakranMM, my fellow Texan, I feel your pain.  My mother put us through similar grief over the rehearsal dinner, of all things.  Prayers for y'all.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 02:24:13 PM »

Prayers brother.  Having gone through it, 2 1/2 years ago, I know it can be stressful.  Don't lose sight of what really matters; they love you share with your partner and the meaning of the sacrament.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 04:27:26 PM »

Thanks for your prayers and words of encouragement, everyone.  They are truly appreciated.

In Christ,

Michael

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 09:12:48 PM »

I suggest you add a scripture passage to the wedding invitations. Here is a good one:
"For this reason, a man shall leave his mother and father and cleave to his wife...." (Gen 2:24) Wink

Prayers,
George
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 09:14:58 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 12:13:20 AM »

We had similiar issues when we were married. My mother(my father passed away when i was 15) was the one who funded most of the wedding and we had help on my side of the family. My wife's family always bickered about having to pay for anything, help with anything or lift a finger. When it came time for our wedding, her family made our wedding a horrible experience for everybody. Needless to say, we did our best to move away from them while still honouring them as best as we can. They control everyone's lives around them, miserably.

We keep them in prayer, at a distance. Smiley

Blessings,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 12:41:57 AM »

I suggest you add a scripture passage to the wedding invitations. Here is a good one:
"For this reason, a man shall leave his mother and father and cleave to his wife...." (Gen 2:24) Wink

Our invitations had this very verse on the cover. Except we only included that latter part of the verse, which you decorously omitted.

As one of my English profs used to periodically shout while reading Chaucer, "HEY WOAH!"
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 12:42:25 AM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »

Our invitations had this very verse on the cover. Except we only included that latter part of the verse,
Eeeewwwwwww!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 07:12:50 PM »

It's too bad that you're having this happen. I have to confess I'm a little surprised to read of how many people also had problems with families and planning a wedding.

We paid for our own wedding (at 29 and 33 we were old enough and established enough to do things right).  Both sides were very agreeable, and not just because one family was in Montana and the other in Maryland  Cheesy.  Some ladies at church cooked the rehersal dinner and handled my father not eating red meat easily with a nice bit of fish.  My great-aunt, the family matriarch, sang a comic song about "Who'll do the cookin'" (I'd never heard her sing in my life).

We had a nice older gentleman as DJ (recco'd by the lady from church who was a semi-professional photographer and did our pictures) who even played "Hail to the Redskins" (football team) for my father and one of the priests. For months afterwards guests would remark on what a nice party it had been and how good the wedding cake was(small cake baking business that had just moved out of the lady's house into a small industrial kitchen, with everything done fresh and by hand.)

It sounds like our experience might be not as common as the stories others have mentioned. 

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
orth_christian2000

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in Canada

He must increase, I must decrease...

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 03:23:16 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 11:05:25 AM »

Lord have Mercy!
I am sorry you are going through this.  Just be glad you are getting married in the Orthodox church right off the bat!  We got married by a preacher fresh out of the psych ward in 92, without a "wedding". Dh had met me at 14 and wasn't letting me get away again. Smiley then in 2004 we find out we weren't truly married by the Church and  we had 6 children.  So I had to get married again, with 4 weeks lead time and pregnant with number 7! Try pulling that off with no sudden funds to do it with.
It wasn't what I had always dreamed, and none of our family is Orthodox so my father (who didnt' come to my protestant marriage) didn't come to my Orthodox "wedding"  My mother lovingly supported me even if she thinks I am nuts.  My mil and fil came, begrudgingly and then ran of to a funeral instead (mil is fixated on death and funerals for some reason)  and all my kids were at my wedding.  So see, you could have a nice mess like that instead of family you can move away from! Wink
Rebecca
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: