OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:49:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X-Men and Philosophy  (Read 1055 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: May 25, 2006, 06:58:27 PM »

Hi guys,

My sister wanted me to watch X3 this Friday with her, so I decided to watch the first two moview of X-Men, and I actually enjoyed it, not just for the effects, but even the allegory behind the story line caught me (and Nightcrawler being a Catholic was also a favorite).

Has anyone noticed what I'm talking about?

The main theme is obviously what to do when you evolve.  In Evolution, it's always about competition and survival of the fittest.  This is what Magneto and his followers want.  But Dr. Xavier wants to protect humans while at the same time protect the mutants.

To me, this more than just ending racist lines, but also spiritually, one can see Dr. Xavier's mission as a mission that can only be justified if one believes in God.  To put our lives on the line for the sake of the lives of others is the true Christian love we all seek.

Also, the end of X2, something amazing happened.  Gean (or was it Jean, I don't know) seemed to have died in the midst of a sea of water and saved the rest of the X-Men.  However, in the end, she rose from the dead, from the water, as Phoenix (or that's what the next movie implies).  Doesn't that have a link to baptism?  Is this a "Narnia" type movie, or am I looking too much into it?  Wink

Feel free to add any more of how you portray the X-Men movies.

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 07:06:11 PM »

Hey mina,

great movies arent they? Wink Yea I definitly noticed the same things as you. Although it talks of evolution and that stuff, it still manages to somehow parallel it's self with religion in the ethics and moral values. Whens the 3rd one coming out?

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 01:15:51 AM »

tomorrow it's coming out...

I don't mind evolution.  It's the fact that we as a human species are different from the animal world of "survival of the fittest" that makes the movie so interesting.  There is obviously the "good" vs. "evil" part.  BUt what is interesting is that the movie defines "good" as loving and protecting those even lower in the evolution chain, while the evil is the selfish goals of a species who only want to make it through, even if it means to kill those in his way, totally against what evolution for an animal kingdom stands for.

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: