OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 10:57:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Manichaean Orthodox  (Read 1071 times) Average Rating: 0
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« on: May 25, 2006, 11:08:44 AM »

Hi,

Anyone can tell me about this religion thats seems ancient and odd to me: http://essenes.net/manimihr.html

It is Buddism, De Vinci Code, and Anti-Christ (Maitreya  Prophecies http://essenes.net/subindexprophecy.htm) roled up in one religion with Orthodox references.

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manichaeism

Any thoughts on this?

In Christ,
Hadel
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 11:10:54 AM by Hadel » Logged

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 11:22:21 AM »

Looks like another New-Old heresy to me.

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 12:17:39 PM »

Looks like another New-Old heresy to me.

That looks to be worth of a sig-line.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 03:01:44 PM »

"There's nothing new under the sun."
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 11:12:50 PM »

Some of these beliefs sound similar to those of the Yezidis, a non-muslim sect with maybe 1 million followers in Iraq.  The muslims say the Yezidis worship John the Baptist. 
Gabriel
Agnostic Pessimist

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 07:46:13 PM »

Some of these beliefs sound similar to those of the Yezidis, a non-muslim sect with maybe 1 million followers in Iraq.  The muslims say the Yezidis worship John the Baptist. 

Actually, that's incorrect.

The Yezidis are the Kurdish "devil-worshippers."  They believe God and the Devil had a fight, but eventually Satan recanted and wept.  God, being forgiving as he is, took mercy on him and made him Lord of the Earth.  Thus, the Yezidis do not pray to God (who is so merciful no one can offend him), but instead pray to Melek Ta'us (the Peacock Angel / Satan) since he is the one who's wrath and judgement they must avoid.  Their holy book is the Mes'haf i Resh, or "Black Book."

http://altreligion.about.com/library/faqs/bl_yezidism.htm

The Iraqis who worship John the Baptist are the Mandaens.  They are the only living Gnostic sect left in the world, unless you count the numerous New-Age christian sects that are every other on the list on google.com

My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning.
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 12:31:25 AM »

The muslims say the Yezidis worship John the Baptist. 
I agree on this last response because the Muslims I "spoke" with probably didn't even know what these people believed in and seemed to just categorize them as "pagans" In fact none of these Muslims could even explain the differences between Sunnis and Shiites when they were asked.  Not to even mention Assyrians and Chaldeans and Syrians etc. 
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 10:28:16 AM »

Actually, that's incorrect.

The Yezidis are the Kurdish "devil-worshippers."ÂÂ  They believe God and the Devil had a fight, but eventually Satan recanted and wept.ÂÂ  God, being forgiving as he is, took mercy on him and made him Lord of the Earth.ÂÂ  Thus, the Yezidis do not pray to God (who is so merciful no one can offend him), but instead pray to Melek Ta'us (the Peacock Angel / Satan) since he is the one who's wrath and judgement they must avoid.ÂÂ  Their holy book is the Mes'haf i Resh, or "Black Book."

http://altreligion.about.com/library/faqs/bl_yezidism.htm

The Iraqis who worship John the Baptist are the Mandaens.ÂÂ  They are the only living Gnostic sect left in the world, unless you count the numerous New-Age christian sects that are every other on the list on google.com

Thank you Gabriel for the update; yes very correct. Except, they the Mandaens believe John Baptist as a teacher and do not worship plus they reject Jesus as well; see site: http://www.essene.com/B'nai-Amen/EssenesAndNasuraiMandaens.htm

The Mandaens, I have been reading about, they have a mixture of Buddhism with New Age compared to their history that died out 200 years after Christ.... I find it interesting that it is re-emerging or it was in hiding after all these years.....
Thanks again.

In Christ,
Hadel
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:06:36 AM by Hadel » Logged

Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 10:35:57 AM »

I agree on this last response because the Muslims I "spoke" with probably didn't even know what these people believed in and seemed to just categorize them as "pagans" In fact none of these Muslims could even explain the differences between Sunnis and Shiites when they were asked.ÂÂ  Not to even mention Assyrians and Chaldeans and Syrians etc.ÂÂ  

Yes, Actually, most do not know about their own religion let alone, others. You would be surprised how many Christians in Jordan do not know about their own religion. Mention the revelation to the Christians in Iraq and let me know what they say. It might surprise you.

In Christ,
Hadel

Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 01:59:31 PM »

Sounds like something similar to Zorastrianism to me. Bogomils.....heretics.. Roll Eyes
Manichaeism and orthodox Christianity

St. Augustine was originally a Manichaean.When Christians first encountered Manichaeism, it seemed to them to be a heresy, as it had originated in a heavily Gnostic area of Persia (Cross). Initially, Augustine of Hippo had been a Manichean. According to his Confessions of St. Augustine, after eight or nine years abiding to the Manichaean faith, he became Christian and a potent adversary of Manichaeism.

How much long-term influence the Manichees actually had on Christianity is still being debated. It has been suggested that the Bogomils, Paulicians, and the Cathars were deeply influenced by Manichaeism. However, the Bogomils and Cathars, in particular, left few records of their rituals or doctrines, and the link between them and Manichaens is tenuous. Regardless of its historical accuracy the charge of Manichaeism was levelled at them by contemporary orthodox opponents, who often tried to fit contemporary heresies with those combatted by the church fathers. The Paulicians, Bogomils, and Cathars were certainly dualists and felt that the world was the work of a demiurge of Satanic origin (Cross), but whether this was due to influence from Manichaeism or another strand of Gnosticism is impossible to determine. Only a minority of Cathars held that the evil god (or principle) was as powerful as the good god (also called a principle) as Mani did, a belief also known as absolute dualism. In the case of the Cathars, it seems they adopted the Manichee principles of church organization, but none of its religious cosmology. Priscillian and his followers apparently tried to absorb what they thought was the valuable part of Manichaeaism into Christianity

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: