OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 11:35:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cassocks  (Read 6100 times) Average Rating: 0
Jim and Liane

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 24, 2006, 03:45:15 PM »

I'm a hopeful future Seminarian (hoping to go this year or next). Learned that I'll need a cassock. Where do I get one and what kind do I get? Does anyone know where to find one second hand? Also, I'd appreciate any advice and tips from current seminarians who are married and have children (My wife and I have a 6 and 5 year old and an 8 month old). Thanks!

Home, Home again.ÂÂ  I like to be here when I can.ÂÂ  And when I come home cold and tired, it' good to warm my bones beside the fire.ÂÂ  Far away across the fields, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees...
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 03:56:29 PM »

http://www.liturgix.com/

http://users.sisqtel.net/cse/

Sometimes they have used ones at the seminary; that's how I got mine when I was at SVS 2002-5.

As far as married, PM me and tell me which seminary you are going to and I will give you some advice.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 04:15:26 PM »

I'm a hopeful future Seminarian (hoping to go this year or next). Learned that I'll need a cassock. Where do I get one and what kind do I get?

That depends on a number of important factors: (1) What style do you want? Greek, Slavic, Romanian, et al. (although the biggest difference is Greek vs. Slavic)? (2) What kind of quality do you want, i.e. the quality of sewing and fabric? (3) How much do you want to spend?

The best and cheapest way is to buy through a contact in Greece, Romania, Serbia, Russia, et al., since the prices there (especially in Romania) are WAY cheaper. Otherwise, I would recommend Anagnostou for good quality Greek-style cassocks. I bought my good andiri from them: http://www.naos.gr/site/productsEN.php?cid=8&scid=71

You can also get in touch with any number of convents in America, some of which make vestments. Prices and quality vary considerably. Try Holy Dormition (OCA) in Rives Junction. In general, theirs are good quality and competitively priced.

Also, I'd appreciate any advice and tips from current seminarians who are married and have children (My wife and I have a 6 and 5 year old and an 8 month old). Thanks!

I don't have any kids (yet), but I live in a married-student building full of kids and know the struggles of my neighbors. In general, their experience (and mine) is very, very positive. There are many blessings and opportunities available to families at an Orthodox seminary. Advice and tips would vary greatly depending on which seminary you're going to, whether or not you'll have scholarships, whether or not your wife works at all, whether or not you plan to homeschool, your family's background (religious, cultural, financial, educational), etc.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 08:59:30 PM »

If you want one from a different country you will have to get your measurements.  Ask a local priest.  If yours doesn't know how to take them, keep asking around, even ask Catholic priests if you run out of options  Wink

That way you can order over the phone and don't have to be there in person for the fitting.  Its more of a risk thought cuz it might not turn out "perfect" 

If you would like one from Serbia you can feel free to PM me.  I also have contacts in Greece but Cleveland or others may be more effective at getting you stuff. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Jim and Liane

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 09:14:58 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I plan on going to St. Tikhon's Seminary(in northeastern PA) and I think I need a Russian style cassock (I'd love to find used ones since that fits my budget best). I'm already taking correspondence courses at St. Tikhon's and its in our Diocese which is great since it's close enough to visit family and our home church. We will not be homeschooling, our kids will go to public school. My wife--who will become the primary provider during our time at seminary--- is looking to find a job that will allow her to work full timefrom home so that she can still care for the baby too. She is in public relations and has found some freelance work but would rather have something full time so that we have a regular income and benefits. Does anyone know of someone who works from home (or know of any places that hire full time telecommuters) that might be able to offer a little advice or possible job leads? At this point we have no real idea as to what to expect, other than it will be tough for a while. We could especially use advice on finding a job, housing (there is no on-campus housing for married seminarians), scholarships, financial aid, and seminary life for married students. Any advice from anyone who has been to seminary is greatly appreciated. Thanks and God bless!

Home, Home again.ÂÂ  I like to be here when I can.ÂÂ  And when I come home cold and tired, it' good to warm my bones beside the fire.ÂÂ  Far away across the fields, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees...
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 10:04:14 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I plan on going to St. Tikhon's Seminary(in northeastern PA) and I think I need a Russian style cassock (I'd love to find used ones since that fits my budget best).

Pretty much the only way I know of finding a used cassock is to just stumble across one. There are no stores that carry them. You might ask someone at St. Tikhon's if they know anyone who would sell you one.

My wife--who will become the primary provider during our time at seminary--- is looking to find a job that will allow her to work full timefrom home so that she can still care for the baby too. She is in public relations and has found some freelance work but would rather have something full time so that we have a regular income and benefits. Does anyone know of someone who works from home (or know of any places that hire full time telecommuters) that might be able to offer a little advice or possible job leads? At this point we have no real idea as to what to expect, other than it will be tough for a while.

That's a tough one! My best friend's wife is just starting to try the telecommute thing, and it has been slow going. Here in Boston, we are fortunate enough to have a HUGE job market, so a lot of the seminary wives don't have much trouble finding a decent job nearby. As far as I know, there ain't much going on in the boondocks around St. Tikhon's  Wink One of the best Web sites for jobs is craigslist.org. You can run a search specifically for telecommuting jobs. They usually have at least a few -- if not dozens -- added every day.

http://www.craigslist.org/

Before we moved to the seminary, I ran searches/checked the new jobs every day for about 4 months. I must have sent in my wife's resume to about 100 places. It was worth it though. She started a great job only a few weeks after we moved in.

We could especially use advice on finding a job, housing (there is no on-campus housing for married seminarians), scholarships, financial aid, and seminary life for married students. Any advice from anyone who has been to seminary is greatly appreciated. Thanks and God bless!

You might want to e-mail Andrew Damick. He's the only seminarian I (kinda) know at St. Tikhon's. I believe he and his wife found fairly affordable housing in a nearby town and things are working out for them. Here's his blog address:

http://www.chrysostom.org/andrew/

As far as I know, there are precious few scholarship opportunities in the OCA, especially on a Church-wide level. Perhaps some of our former St. Vlad's students can speak with more authority. Thankfully, we have excellent financial aid from a variety of sources here at Holy Cross. Without it, things would be really tough, even for couples without kids like me and my wife. Theological education is EXPENSIVE.

Probably the best-known extra-denominational source of funding for theological education is (surprise!) The Fund For Theological Education. Of course, it helps if you are a minority or a woman, but they give money to different kinds of people, especially after their first year of seminary (I'm not sure if St. Tikhon's qualifies as a participating seminary, though...you'd have to find out...I know a few Harvard Div students who get a pretty penny from them though). Check out their site here:

http://www.thefund.org/

Other than that -- without direct support from St. Tikhon's, your parish or the OCA -- you'll probably have to take out loans. So, fill out your FAFSA!

I wish you the best. I'm not sure how things will work out if you are living off-campus. Only one or two families do that here, and, in general, they have a harder time fully participating in the community, because even driving 10 minutes is more prohibitive than just stepping out of your door and visiting with your neighbors and their kids. One of the things my wife and I like is that married student housing is a lot like a small Orthodox village. It's especially great for the kids, since they have so many Orthodox neighbors/playmates. The one family that lives off campus right now makes a concerted effort to come, as a family, to Vespers at least twice a week and to participate in all of the Married Student Association events (of which we have quite a few). You'll have to ask people like Andrew how things work at St. Tikhon's.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 12:34:13 PM »

I just checked thefund.org (not that I ever plan to go to seminary) and Holy Cross, Sts Tikhon and Vlad's are all on the list (no St. Herman's or Holy Trinity in Jordanville though).
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 03:22:58 PM »

I just checked thefund.org (not that I ever plan to go to seminary) and Holy Cross, Sts Tikhon and Vlad's are all on the list (no St. Herman's or Holy Trinity in Jordanville though).

Ah. Probably because The Fund only includes accredited institutions. Speaking of which, you (as in Jim) may want to check out the Association of Theological Schools ( http://www.ats.edu/ ). It has a number of scholarships, but, as far as I know, only for scholars of advanced standing, so probably not for lowly seminarians. But who knows?

Also, there is always the Lilly Foundation, which gives millions of dollars every year to religious causes (including Holy Cross!). I doubt they have many direct scholarships for students (since they need to give their money to organizations with 501(c) status), but some of their programs may apply to you at some point in the next few years:

http://www.lillyendowment.org/religion.html

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 03:47:40 PM »

At SVS I got 50-75% funding for tuition with no strings attached.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 09:36:27 PM »

You might want to e-mail Andrew Damick. He's the only seminarian I (kinda) know at St. Tikhon's. I believe he and his wife found fairly affordable housing in a nearby town and things are working out for them. Here's his blog address:

http://www.chrysostom.org/andrew/

The aforementioned here.  Contact me via email (available at my website) as soon as possible, especially if you intend to begin seminary this Fall (2006).  There is a student liaison to help you find housing, and he can also help put you in touch with other useful folks.

Author, "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy" & "An Introduction to God" (both from Ancient Faith Publishing / Conciliar Press)
asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 09:37:33 PM »

Ah. Probably because The Fund only includes accredited institutions. Speaking of which, you (as in Jim) may want to check out the Association of Theological Schools ( http://www.ats.edu/ ). It has a number of scholarships, but, as far as I know, only for scholars of advanced standing, so probably not for lowly seminarians. But who knows?

St. T's, St. V's, and HC are all accredited by ATS.

Author, "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy" & "An Introduction to God" (both from Ancient Faith Publishing / Conciliar Press)
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 12:38:54 AM »

I'm a hopeful future Seminarian (hoping to go this year or next). Learned that I'll need a cassock. Where do I get one and what kind do I get? Does anyone know where to find one second hand? Also, I'd appreciate any advice and tips from current seminarians who are married and have children (My wife and I have a 6 and 5 year old and an 8 month old). Thanks!

Try these:
http://www.holoviak.com/acatalog/Holoviaks_Cassocks_37.html
http://www.kwvestments.com/photos.html
http://www.liturgix.com/
http://www.istok.net/home.php?cat=840
http://www.nikitatailor.com/customcassock.htm
http://users.sisqtel.net/cse/apparel/clerical.html

There is also a convent in Brookline MA, I don't remember the name, but I heard that the make some beautiful cassocks.

I hope these help you.

What size are you just in case I come across anything?  Height, weight, measurements.

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 10:29:51 AM »

The one in Brookline MA is called Holy Nativity convent.  They do make good cassoks, but i'm not a big fan of the style.  They are super durable though and machine washable!!!!  (no joke, i tried a few times) 

The cassocks at St. Tikhon's are kind of expensive my friend, hate to break it to you.  They're all about the same price no matter where you go though, unless you know someone.  They're gona run you around $200-250 depending on the color, style and where you buy it. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 10:35:53 AM »

The one in Brookline MA is called Holy Nativity convent.ÂÂ  They do make good cassoks, but i'm not a big fan of the style.ÂÂ  They are super durable though and machine washable!!!!ÂÂ  (no joke, i tried a few times)ÂÂ  

I know two people who got a decent cassock from them and two people who got terrible ones. Even the decent ones should be styled: 'Tank of All Cassocks'. (If a kalamafki protects one's head from logismoi, then these babies keep the heart safe from a spiritual A-bomb).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 10:36:23 AM by pensateomnia » Logged

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 10:44:32 AM »

I know two people who got a decent cassock from them and two people who got terrible ones. Even the decent ones should be styled: 'Tank of All Cassocks'. (If a kalamafki protects one's head from logismoi, then these babies keep the heart safe from a spiritual A-bomb).

Huh! I really like my exorasso from Holy Nativity. Maybe it's just my conservative, some would say traditional, nature...

I was going to post the link to Holy Nativity yesterday, but it's interesting...their site describes that they do anderia and exorassa but there was no ordering information. I guess you would have to provde their measurements and then provide them to Mother Theodora (is this the correct nun at the convent for this? my memory is foggy), but then the final fitting for the garment may be problematic.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 11:23:51 AM »

Huh! I really like my exorasso from Holy Nativity. Maybe it's just my conservative, some would say traditional, nature...

Or your military background  Wink

Jim and Liane

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 01:19:22 PM »

Thanks everyone. I'll look into these. For those who said they'd keep an eye out: I normally wear a mens size 42 and am 6 feet tall. Hope that helps. Never been measured for anything before.

Thanks also for the tips on funding for seminary. You've all been a great help and blessing to me and my family.

Jim

Tsarina

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

St. Anastasia Royal-Martyr

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 02:31:10 PM »

I'm glad your looking forward to become a Seminarian. May the Lord bless it!

I find it so neat the Seminarian's get to wear cassocks. St. Tikons is a good choice, is that where you are planning to go? When you register there, they will give you places and numbers where you can call to order a Cassock, so don't worry too much about it.

God bless.

"Orthodoxy is life; one cannot talk about it, one must live it."

St. Nectary of Optina
Jim and Liane

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 10:42:27 PM »

Yeah, I am trying for St Tikhon's.  I have been there several times and it just feels like a good fit for me.  As for wearing cassocks being neat, it is also a fearful thing - the responsibilty to be the man I know I was always meant to be.  Quite an aweful time for me (awful in the terror of the responsbility and awe-full in the work that a person (read: sinner) like me is suppsoed to do.

So, no, I am not worried about finding a cassock, though I am looking.  I have seen Providence in my life too many times to fret over small issues.  Now fretting over my soul takes lots of effort and work!

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 01:37:33 AM »

I was going to post the link to Holy Nativity yesterday, but it's interesting...their site describes that they do anderia and exorassa but there was no ordering information. I guess you would have to provde their measurements and then provide them to Mother Theodora (is this the correct nun at the convent for this? my memory is foggy), but then the final fitting for the garment may be problematic.

I think it's Mother Theonymphe....

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 08:35:35 AM »

I think it's Mother Theonymphe....

I think you're right...I could remember it started with Theo, but Mother Theodora is a different nun I know.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
NickolaiOJ

Forgive Me, the Sinner.

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 08:56:38 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I plan on going to St. Tikhon's Seminary(in northeastern PA) and I think I need a Russian style cassock (I'd love to find used ones since that fits my budget best). I'm already taking correspondence courses at St. Tikhon's and its in our Diocese which is great since it's close enough to visit family and our home church. We will not be homeschooling, our kids will go to public school. My wife--who will become the primary provider during our time at seminary--- is looking to find a job that will allow her to work full timefrom home so that she can still care for the baby too. She is in public relations and has found some freelance work but would rather have something full time so that we have a regular income and benefits. Does anyone know of someone who works from home (or know of any places that hire full time telecommuters) that might be able to offer a little advice or possible job leads? At this point we have no real idea as to what to expect, other than it will be tough for a while. We could especially use advice on finding a job, housing (there is no on-campus housing for married seminarians), scholarships, financial aid, and seminary life for married students. Any advice from anyone who has been to seminary is greatly appreciated. Thanks and God bless!

I just ordered a russian style cassock from www.istok.net and I hope it will arrive soon.  I will be able to tell you the quality after that.  it was premeasured, and only ran me $145.89 with shipping included.  My current cassock is a greek style from St. Tikhon's and ran me $250, and is very warm in the summer. I'm also told that http://users.sisqtel.net/cse/ makes very good greek cassocks in the $180-$230 range, but I can't verify the quality myself.  If all else fails you can always go to your local roman catholic store and buy a roman cassock.

As for the living situation, here's a website that might help you.  http://www.sttikhons.org/ it's specifically made for married students. It however, hasn't been updated in a while.

Hoping to see you in the upcoming fall. (when I start St. Tikhon's as well)

In Christ,
Reader Nikolai
NickolaiOJ

Forgive Me, the Sinner.

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 12:01:49 PM »

Followup for my last post.

I recieved my cassock from Istok (the mailman looked at me a bit funny when he handed me a package with russian all over it)  But I must say, this is NOT a cassock I would want to wear all the time.  It is very light, (which I like) but it is made of really cheap rayon.  My biggest gripe though is the sleeves.  They are just so huge at the base and so narrow as the wrist (I almost couldn't fit my hand through). But after a few alterations, it will make a good work cassock due to it's weight.

In the end for a good cassock go to a good source, and get measured. I was lucky when I got my pre-made cassock from St. Tikhon's, I doubt I'll ever find a pre-made cassock that fits so well again.

Reader Nikolai   
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: