Author Topic: New to your site  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
New to your site
« on: May 24, 2006, 03:28:25 PM »
Hello everyone.  ;D Although not new to Orthodoxy.(infint baptism) I find myself drawing closer to god in my mid thirty's. (Average layman)
  In searching for text on the internet I stumbled across your site. I was very surprised to find many orthodox  here aren't Greek. I was humbled by this. Glad to see that it's not just a Greek or ethnic religion. But the religion of Christ and his church. God bless you all. I would like to also thank the holy spirit for awakening a sinful soul.
Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
Re: New to your site
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 03:57:15 PM »
Welcome! We're happy to have you!!

Anastasios
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 06:09:09 PM »
Welcome Demetrios!
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline Sloga

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 06:15:19 PM »
Welcome! yes, it's nice to see such a multi-cultural community within Orthodoxy. Tell us a bit about yourself!

Sloga
Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic

Offline Veniamin

• Fire for Effect!
  • Archon
  • St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 06:29:22 PM »
Welcome!   :)
Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 10:25:25 PM »
Welcome! yes, it's nice to see such a multi-cultural community within Orthodoxy. Tell us a bit about yourself!

Sloga

Thanks for the warm welcome. A little about myself.
  I am the son of Greek immigrants. Parents came to America in 1968. I am fluent in Greek. I am married to a wonderful Italian/American catholic wife and have 2 girls 6 and 4 year old. Both my children are GO and attend a GO school. I am still working on the wife  :D. I know I can probably persuade her to convert but I perfer that she makes the decision on her own. The GO church had no problem marrying us 10 years ago. The good news is she attends church at the GOC with the family. The bad news is that we don't attend as often as (we) should. This is one of the first things that I am working on among many.
Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 10:27:10 PM »
Welcome, Demetrios! I hope to read many more posts from you!

I was very surprised to find many orthodox  here aren't Greek. I was humbled by this. Glad to see that it's not just a Greek or ethnic religion.

And let's not forget that many of us here identified as 'Greek' are not of Greek descent, but are active within the GOA.
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Ivan

• Religious Worker
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 01:08:47 AM »
I am under ROCOR jurisdiction in Australia. Finished Orthodox Theology. I am Macedonian but not ethnic.
IC XC  NI KA

Offline aurelia

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 09:14:46 AM »
Welcome!!  Nope, not a drop of known Greek here, but still Orthodox!

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 12:56:56 PM »
I am Macedonian but not ethnic.

What does that mean?  Were you born in Macedonia/FYROM but to non-ethnic Macedonian parents?

Offline aserb

• asinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 03:57:32 PM »
The Serbian contingent welcomes you our Greek brother.

Dan
Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!

Offline Starlight

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 09:44:20 PM »
Welcome, Demetrios! Nice to have you here.

Offline Psalti Boy

• High Elder
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 01:03:17 AM »
Welcome Demetrios!  I am originally from Brooklyn but now live in the frozen tundra upstate. 

Psalti Boy

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 09:44:03 AM »
Welcome Demetrios!ÂÂ  I am originally from Brooklyn but now live in the frozen tundra upstate.ÂÂ  

Psalti Boy

Where upstate? I own property in Sullivan county.

Offline SouthSerb99

• Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Now Internet Forum Friendly
    • Save Kosovo
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 02:03:39 PM »
Demetrios,

Welcome!!! Enjoy your time here.

Your line about your wife, is spot on!!!  Orthodoxy will find her, there is no need to force her.  You're half way there by bringing her to Liturgy.
"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here

Offline Psalti Boy

• High Elder
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 03:30:11 PM »
Where upstate? I own property in Sullivan county.

Lake George

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2006, 11:52:38 AM »
Sorry for the late entrance on my part, but a heartfelt welcome, and Christos Anesti!
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.