OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 03:51:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: today is a sad, sad day for all Roman Catholics  (Read 7986 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2002, 10:12:01 AM »

Now where in this traditional Scheme are we to put the new Set ?

Basically, I think the document recommends that one do the new mysteries on Thursday, and then replace Thursday's Joyful Mysteries on Saturday.  One of the new mysteries is the institution of the Eucharist, so it would make sense to be on a Thursday, and then the Passion on Friday, but then to revert to the Joyful Mysteries on Saturday (recommended for that day because of its association with the Virgin Mary), and then to jump to the Glorious Mysteries on Sunday seems strange.  Better, in my mind, to do all four in order Monday-Thursday, and then preserve the traditional order for Friday-Sunday.  It skews up the order any way you look at it, though.  but I suppose if you play around with it, you can find a way to work it in.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2002, 10:25:29 AM »

The only problem I have with that change is putting the joyful mysteries on Saturday throws off the chronological flow of the mysteries (Friday, Jesus dies; Saturday, He is born; Sunday, He rises from the dead?!), which follow the life of Jesus. Doing the luminous mysteries on Thursday isn't so bad - they come in time right before the sorrowful mysteries on Friday. You take one step back from Wednesday's glorious mysteries and not two, to the joyful mysteries, as things go traditionally.

Another issue I have is while at face value 'proclaiming the kingdom' (and how many of us non-Bible scholars know what that bit of code really means? - I don't pretend to fully understand it) IS orthodox (duly note I said that), it isn't based on a specific incident in Jesus' earthly life. Sounds like something either the protestant/charismatic types or the liberal Marxist wannabe peace-and-justicers would have cooked up in the bad old days of the 1970s and 1980s.

Tags: roman catholic rosary 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: