OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 01:17:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Horologion  (Read 2444 times) Average Rating: 0
branain

« on: May 20, 2006, 02:49:45 PM »

Does anyone have a copy of the Melkite publication "The Horologion" put out by Sophia Press?

I was wondering how does it compare to Byzantine Daily Worship (Alleluia Press). Does it contain the Acathistos and Paraclisis? Preperation for Confession and Communion? How's its English? Does it stay close to the Orthodox usage? Is it relatively easy to follow the rubrics? Is the print easily readable?

I would like to use it for home use. Comments?

Chris
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 05:34:27 PM »

The English is very similar to the Byzantine Daily Worship (as are the psalms).  It includes Great and week day Vespers, Compline, the Midnight Office, Matins, the Little Hours, and the Typika for both outside of Great Lent and during Lent.  The rubrics are definitely Melkite usage.  It does not have the Akathist or Paraklis nor preparation for confession or communion.  It is purely a Horologion.  All in all, it is quite well done.
If you are looking for a "Horologion" for home use and believe that prayer should be in the language you speak (you and yours - not some let's pretend protestant King James English) I recommend "The Hours of Prayer - A Book of Devotion".  It contains all the canonical hours set up for home use (no priest parts) and includes Morning and Evening Prayers, Pre- and Post- Communion Prayers, various troparia and kondakia, and Akathists to the Savior and the Mother of God.  It is published with the blessing of Bishop Nicholas of the ACROD.  (It is available through Light and Life Publishing.  And, a bargain at $12.99!

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
branain

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 09:57:10 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Found it helpful.

One last thing on the Melkite "Horologion". Does it contain the Menaion, as does Byzantine Daily Worship? That would be wonderful.

What do you think about New Skete's Psalter. That's another item I am considering purchasing. I have HTM's Psalter. Although I find the English beautiful, I do like a rendition that is in modern, but respectful English. I'm just concerned with the accurasy(SP?) of the translation of the New Skete Psalter. Your comments will be well appreciated!

Chris
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 11:09:31 AM »

One last thing on the Melkite "Horologion". Does it contain the Menaion, as does Byzantine Daily Worship? That would be wonderful.
No, it does not contain the Menaion.
What do you think about New Skete's Psalter. That's another item I am considering purchasing. I have HTM's Psalter. Although I find the English beautiful, I do like a rendition that is in modern, but respectful English.
I have used New Skete's translation of the psalter since it was first published in 1984.  After 20-something years, it is still the only psalter I use.
I'm just concerned with the accurasy(SP?) of the translation of the New Skete Psalter.
Since I don't read the original language, I can't comment on the accuracy.  However, any translation of the psalter (and for that matter, any translation of the Bible) will have its critics.
As long as a translation is free of doctrinal error, if its words speak to you, touch your heart and soul like no other, if it brings you into the Presence of God, and the words become your own, then you have found the right translation for you.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 01:50:20 PM »

If you like the Psalms from BDW you can get the entire Septuagint Psalter by Baron Jose De Vinck and Fr. Leonidas Contos from Alleluia Press.

Alleluia Press
Baron and Baroness Jose De Vinck
672 Franklin Turnpike
P.O. Box 103
Allendale, NJ 07401-3513
201-327-3513

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
SeanMc

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 02:37:44 PM »

prayer should be in the language you speak (you and yours - not some let's pretend protestant King James English)

Hey, I may not speak it everyday, but 16th century English is my and mine.
branain

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 04:18:38 PM »

"No, it does not contain the Menaion."

So, would I be correct in assuming that this Horologion does not have adequate troparia, kontakia and theotokia? Maybe I have my terminology mixed up!

"As long as a translation is free of doctrinal error, if its words speak to you, touch your heart and soul like no other, if it brings you into the Presence of God, and the words become your own, then you have found the right translation for you."

I believe you're right.

I think I wil pick up the ACROD Book of Hours, too.

Dcn. Lance, thank you for the address for the de Vinck translation of the Psalter. I may just get both New Skete and de Vinck. Certainly can't hurt to have more for comparison and different ways of expression.

How's the binding on the de Vinck Psalter?

Thanks,
Chris
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 04:21:15 PM »

The Horolgion has the Sunday eight tones and the common tropars for the classes of saints so it does have adequate material just not every proper troparia, stichera, etc for every saint.

The Psalter has a red leather cover and sewn binding.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 04:24:45 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: