OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:51:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROCOR + MP + OCA?  (Read 2907 times) Average Rating: 0
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« on: May 18, 2006, 12:17:44 PM »

Since it is news now that ROCOR will normalize its relations with the MP then what will be the status between ROCOR and OCA local parishes?  It seems that OCA has relations with the MP as well as ROCOR which should make them "sister" churches but what about the local level?  With its establishing relations with Moscow then what's to stop the ROCOR and OCA from uniting or at least co-existing and participating in events like the Sunday of Orthodoxy together.  Maybe it will evolve in a "new calendar" vs an "old calendar" parish in the same town?
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 12:48:13 PM »

Well, this is my guess as the structure is still not clear, but it looks like ROCOR will at least be given Autonomy, so relations will probably be no different than the OCA is with GOA, MP, or Antioch is now.  I guess there will be concelebrations, but this is mostly going to be the choice of the local bishops and priests.  As there were informal contacts before, they will now be formal.  So, IMHO, not much.  What interests me, now, is whether ROCOR will join SCOBA.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
chrisb
Working it out in fear and trembling...

Jurisdiction: St. Cyprian of Carthage - OCA|South

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 12:54:18 PM »

Isn't ROCA/ROCOR more conservative than mainline OCA and GOA? If they join SCOBA wouldn't that skew it to amore conservative view?

For whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother. - Mark 3:35
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 12:55:49 PM »

Isn't ROCA/ROCOR more conservative than mainline OCA and GOA? If they join SCOBA wouldn't that skew it to amore conservative view?

And there is a problem with this conservative influence?
chrisb

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 01:02:14 PM »

And there is a problem with this conservative influence?

Well if you've followed any of my posts here you'd know I am always on the block for me 'too' conservative in my theology so as far as I'm concerned it's a good thing but would this cause division among more liberal minded OCA and GOA with SCOBA pronouncements?

BTW, I'm not Orthodox I'm baptist/catholic inquiring into Orthodoxy but I largely like Russian Orthodox Theology so ROCA is more my cup of tea.  Grin

For whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother. - Mark 3:35
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 03:06:59 PM »

My take.

Yes, ROCOR is more conservative - nobody was judging that in the preceding post, merely making an observation.

And I think it was invited to join SCOBA when SCOBA first formed, so as for future membership, why not?

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 03:36:01 PM »

I'm sure SCOBA could embrace a more conservative voice as a means of broadening the conservative/liberal spectrum for discussions of important matters.
chrisb

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 04:35:20 PM »

My take.

Yes, ROCOR is more conservative - nobody was judging that in the preceding post, merely making an observation.

And I think it was invited to join SCOBA when SCOBA first formed, so as for future membership, why not?

I read your 'take' and I largely agree with it. I have the impression that Western Culture is ill-capacable to manage itself.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 06:07:15 PM »

My take.

You are correct...

http://www.sobor2006.com/printerfriendly2.php?id=119_0_3_0

[around page 4] 

"ROCOR was invited to participate in the Standing Conference of Orthodox Bishops of America (SCOBA) established in 1960 at the initiative of Archbishop Iakovos (Patriarchate of Constantinople). In his reply, however, Metropolitan Anastasii stated that ROCOR would participate in the conference only if representatives of the Moscow Patriarchate were excluded, which was unacceptable to Archbishop Iakovos.[30] At times, an uncompromising stand in regard to the communist government was, within ROCOR, as significant an issue as protecting the true Orthodox faith; in other words, resistance to communism was perceived as an inseparable part of protecting the purity of the faith."

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 07:29:13 PM »

Thanks. So, as the reason MP participation offended ROCOR no longer exists (no more USSR), there is no more reason for ROCOR not to join SCOBA if it wants to.

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
StephenG

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 08:33:43 PM »

No doubt the ubiquitous Archbishop Mark of Berlin is considering the prospect even now................

What will those who have doubted ROCOR canonicity all these years make of the fact that ROCOR were invited to become founding members of SCOBA but declined?
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 10:14:42 PM »

No doubt the ubiquitous Archbishop Mark of Berlin is considering the prospect even now................
I think someone mentioned in the past that His Eminence for at least a few years has ROCOR as a member of the Euro version of SCOBA - SCOBE?

What will those who have doubted ROCOR canonicity all these years make of the fact that ROCOR were invited to become founding members of SCOBA but declined?

Water under the bridge.  This is now.  We'll see.
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 11:52:45 PM »

Taken from ROCOR on the attitude on the relations with the outside world. The official bishops agreed upon the SOBOR along with other exiled Russian hierarchies who were not in attendance from Canada, United Kingdom, France and in South America (I believe in Argentina) trying to keep in contacts with Moscow Patriarch. Because of this Diaspora, the ROCOR's American Church here is to retain an an independence while maintaining close relations with the MP and being accountable to it only in matters of faith:

http://www.sobor2006.com/printerfriendly2.php?id=119_0_3_0

Conclusion

The position of the Russian Church Abroad in relation to the local churches and heterodox Christians has taken two positions: 1) a missionary one, and 2) one of guardianship.

I can only imagine if ROCOR would ever take an anti-modernist stance on the canonical churches and yet must be confronted on focusing on evangelizing in America and be in concession with other traditional churches which don't worry too much about this.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: