OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 10:05:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am now orthodox  (Read 3782 times) Average Rating: 0
new guy

« on: May 18, 2006, 05:26:57 AM »

So here is a brief history of me actually its pretty long so please bear with me. I am 24 live in Missoula Montana and was brought up "catholic" the quotation marks are because my mom is catholic my dad is agnostic my moms family quit going to mass in 1972 just after the new liturgy came in. My grandparents hated the new mass and about 75% of Vatican II so after my mom got confirmed and many liturgical abuses later they quit going. Growing up I was taught a lot about Catholicism by my mom and grand parents my mom and me would pray the rosary at night before bed and go inside the pre vatican II style church here I was really into my faith but never baptized or confirmed (my parents compromised on letting it be up to me when I was old enough).
In high school I drifted away from Christianity went into Buddhism and that stuff. Then in my senior year I got my first girlfriend she and her family were devout fundi-baptists so after months of nagging she got me to go to church with her .Now as I said all the religion I got besides my own high school hooey was strict pre Vatican II Catholicism so my shock at my first baptist service was intense a church without stained glass,paintings etc. but I went for about a month now there are few things I dislike more then protestant worship but I became interested in Christianity again,so after about a month of this crazy baptist worship I decided to take my girlfriend to the church that I grew up in the minute she saw that it was a catholic church she looked at me like I had cockroaches crawling out of my mouth,"your a catholic" she said with horror in her eyes so i described my situation and asked her what was so bad with catholics she fed me the usual crap and when I said how beautiful the church is and that she should come in and look around and pray with me she told me that she cant because she doesn't want to go to hell and anyone who even sets foot in that satanic cults churches will be damned . This as I am sure you can assume led to a major argument and a week later her family ( without much objection's by her) made her brake up with me. I was not pleased besides being heart broken I was angry at god and not fun to be around at all in general. Finally I had a talk with my dad he told me the same thing had happend to him in high school a girl broke up with him because he was 7th day adventist(hence the reason he is agnostic now lol) feeling a little better but still pissed I decided to go in the church and pray. It had been years since I had been there and I went to the pew in front of the church and kneeled down and stared at the crucifix. Now this church had a medieval style Spanish crucifix very middle ages catholic, blood painted everywhere and Jesus's face twisted in agony. Looking on that tortured statue on the cross I realized how petty my anger was and how stupid I had been for my anger towards god I realised that me and the girl were not meant to be and god had done me a favor. I prayed for the first time in years. I went to the church every almost everyday after work to pray and that fall joined the R.C.I.A to become catholic, thats when the real problems started. The RCIA instructors were pretty old school and traditional but the priests at this church wow talk about your Hans Kung Marcus Borg modernists. As a child I had been told how beautiful mass was I knew it had changed but I was totally unprepared for this music that sounded like a broadway play reject no incense no reverence at all in fact we had a homily telling us not to be reverent. The pastor in one homily said that the pope at that time John Paul II needed to get with the times and allow women to be priests and the usual crud. One time I asked the asst. pastor when rosary was said he chuckled and said we quit doing that stuff here we are not old superstitious people at this parish. Nevertheless I as any good Catholic thought was that this is Christ's true church so whatever goes goes. So easter of 2001 I was baptized my whole family came to church to see me even my moms parents that had not stepped foot in church for 30 years came. After this I went to mass every sunday like a good catholic for about a year then things got even worse. One sunday a girl my age in front of me in the communion line was wearing low cut jeans you could see he butt crack and a low cut tank top the whole way up the line she was snapping bubble bum, when it was her turn to receive the body of Christ she just put her hands out and took the host and down it went during the final blessing she was still snapping her gum. One sunday I was introduced to liturgical dance and a homily about Christ and the miracles that he didn't actually perform during the Eucharist the priest didn't consacrate the hosts and wine well that was it. I was so disgusted I quit going to mass regularly I kept praying to god to help me. Then one night I was watching a film about the history of Russia for a class and when it came to the segment on Russian religion I was breathless the liturgy was so beautiful. I immediately got the phone book and looked for orthodox churches in Missoula we have a small Greek mission. I called the priest the next day and went to Divine liturgy that sunday. In that small building with the candles Iconostasis,incense, and chanting I knew that this felt right truly these people were worshiping god as is his due. Under the guidance of the priest  I studied orthodoxy and fully believe it to be the truth of course some catholic/western trappings remain in me but I know that this is truly his church I got over papal stuff and all that and was finall chrismated on my name day in november of 05 anyway I am new to this site and will post occasionally when I have Questions or some comment I have been visiting this site for about a year now and think its great.

God bless
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 10:49:47 AM »

New Guy,   
Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.  I was RC like you and was dissatisfied and disgusted at the 'modernism' that took over after Vat.II.  I ended up going off on all sorts of tangents before returning to Christianity. I thank the Lord that I found out about the Orthodox Church.  Anyway, welcome to OC.net and I hope you can share with us again.

God bless you,   Juliana Smiley
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 11:58:24 AM »

Nice story.  You should clean it up (grammmar/formatting-wise) and have it posted on one of those Convert Stories sites.  Welcome to the forum.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 12:29:12 PM »

Great to read your story, New Guy.  Thanks for posting it here.  It's a very inspiring and interesting read.  I agree with Elisha.

Anyway, all the best to you, and welcome!

James Bob
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 12:29:27 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 04:20:23 PM »

We welcome you with open arms and respect, all we want in return is for you to use periods more often  Tongue Tongue Tongue Interesting story. if you have any questions, feel free to ask, no one will judge you here.  Smiley

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 09:30:57 PM »

Welcome, New Guy! The enthusiasm in your post is great and just what I want to hear after a long day. Thank you!

I hope you're not offended about the gramatical comments; after all, if we can adjust ourselves to GreekIsChristian's revival of 18th Century English grammar, we can adjust to anything. Roll Eyes

Thanks again, and keep on posting, especially in the Prayer Forum!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
new guy

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 12:41:47 AM »

Yes I know I really suck at grammer,run on sentences etc.I wish I could blame it on the fact that I wrote the post at 2:30 in the morning but I can't my grammer is bad bad bad I will work at it though, it makes college a real pain.

Thanks for your prayers and kind welcome
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 08:46:28 AM »

Loved your story. The Serbian contingent on this site officially welcomes you and may God grant you many years. Stick around, the best is yet to come!

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 09:27:57 AM »

Welcome to the Forum.  I'm also Montanan, though living Back East.  I grew up in Great Falls.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 09:46:20 AM »

Nice story.ÂÂ  You should clean it up (grammmar/formatting-wise) and have it posted on one of those Convert Stories sites.ÂÂ  Welcome to the forum.

Yeah we've been offering to host convert stories here for three years and it would be nice if someone would take us up on it Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 09:59:16 AM »

Yeah we've been offering to host convert stories here for three years and it would be nice if someone would take us up on it Smiley

I'd be happy to (I wasn't aware that there was any such offer) if you give me time to write it up properly. Hopefully someone else would be interested in reading it. And I second everyone else's responses, New Guy, it is a great conversion story.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 10:13:28 AM »

Sorry you weren't aware Smiley  I suppose it's time to make a new annoucement in the thread I made in board news some time ago.  Anyone is welcome to submit a convert story.  We will edit it for grammar and spelling, but not make any content changes. Thank you for volunteering!  Anyone else, please PM if you are interested.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 04:11:46 PM »

Y'all can read my convert story here.

New Guy: Welcome to the site!  Glad to have you aboard!   Wink
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 04:12:16 PM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tsarina

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

St. Anastasia Royal-Martyr

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 01:16:07 PM »

NewGuy, welcome to the site. Interesting story, thank you for sharing that with us.  Grin

"Orthodoxy is life; one cannot talk about it, one must live it."

St. Nectary of Optina
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 12:18:52 AM »

New Guy,
Excellent story. Thank you for sharing with us. Welcome to the Forum.
Bishop Paul Andrew

Jurisdiction: American Orthodox Catholic Church/ Holy Synod of North and South America.

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 01:27:59 AM »

New guy. I know what you went through. I could say the same about me. I come for a baptist Back ground. going to church very sunday, as I got older my family and I stop going when I was in Jr.high School and I never want to church again. Until I want in to the service 1974. back then all we had was Roman Catholic,Protestant anf Jews services. I didn't like the Protestant service so I would go to the Catholic Service.ÂÂ  when I got out of the service I went from Church to church trying to fine myself and the Lord. so from the 70's to the late 80s I didn't go to Church, I didn't know about the Orthodox Church,we do have this one Greek Orthodox Church near us, but I thought it was just another catholic Church with a different name.

A friend of mine introduced me to Orthodox Priest and I join the Church in August of 1990 I was BaptizedÂÂ  and comfirmed in to the church. Now for most of you know that I come from the American Orthodox Catholic Church. I have realized that I was wrongÂÂ  and that what you were saying was true, but I didn't want to listen as I heard it all from the time I came in to the church. I written to my Metroplolitan and have asked to be releast. I have submitted my paper work to Metropolitan Valentine of the ROAC in RussiaÂÂ  to come in to the jurisdiction of the ROAC in America which is under his Omophor.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 01:31:25 AM by Father Paul Andrew » Logged
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 07:48:58 AM »

You can join any church you choose - all somebody like me wants is that the truth be told about whatever church that may be - but you should know that Metropolitan Valentin's church is likewise out of the Orthodox communion. Unlike your current metropolitan who never was Orthodox, Valentin is a former Orthodox bishop.

joe77

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 09:21:44 AM »

Dear New Boy
                        Your story was intresting.I can understand  how you felt about worshiping God in Orthodox way.I always been an orthodox(oriental Orthodox from India),during my study and works many times i was too far from Orthodox Church,during these period i attended RC and Aglican churchs nothing never satisfied me,never felt i that i attended a mass.unfortunatly in England where i live there arnt any orthodox church nearby me so i attned RC or COE services;its so strange their services are so plain and not inspiring.We have a church an hour drive away where we celibrate Orthodox mass everymonth  i always make sure to attend it because otherwise i feel that i didnt attned service all month though i attnded RC and COE service 4 or  5 times.

NULL
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 11:17:20 AM »

Welcome and God Bless. Thank you for your honest words.

Good Luck in your studies.

In Christ,
Hadel

Ps: Your X thought Catholics are a Satanic Cult, what would she think of Orthodox.... Wink

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Kaminetz

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 12:50:04 PM »

I really like the sincerity of that story, punctuation and grammer aside.

I even had a chuckle about how you described this girl's horror at the Catholic church and the bubble gum chewer communer. It reminded me when I drove by a Lutheran church recently on the way to my parish, there's a sign that said "Holy Communion at 10:00 AM" and right by it was a girl who was entering the church, with one of those fanned out skirts where you could see well above the knee. Reminded me of the bubble gum chewer...

Anyway, welcome from the Russians!
jsenner

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 11:31:43 PM »

This is my first post to OCnet... I'm another Montanan, intending to convert to Orthodoxy. I just moved back to Montana after about 6 years away, and have been attending the Serbian church in Butte. I've really enjoyed reading posts on OCnet, but I enjoy going to the Orthodox Church more. Anyhow just thought I'd say hi!

Jeremiah
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 11:41:21 PM »

Welcome Violin Maker!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 11:14:49 PM »

Welcome to the both of you!

Having grown up baptist, I can attest to hearing the anti Catholic rhetoric for a great many years.ÂÂ  "Those Catholics are the hardest to reach for God, ya know!" is one that sticks in my memory.  My dh still watches services from our former protestant preacher, and just gets himself riled up.  It actually causes me nausea to watch or hear it.

Rebecca
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 11:17:45 PM by calligraphqueen » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 11:31:54 PM »

I just moved back to Montana after about 6 years away,

O Montana, give this child a home,
Give him the love of a good family
And a woman of his own,
Give him a fire in his heart,
Give him a light in his eyes,
Give him the wild wind for a brother
And the wide Montana skies.....

Welcome!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: