OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 10:15:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Money for helping the church  (Read 791 times) Average Rating: 0
Kaminetz

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: May 17, 2006, 09:59:23 PM »

Hello all, it's been a while.

I've been helping my parish over the past year by setting up and running their website. I just recently overheard that in gratitude for my work they wanted to give me a financial reward.

I don't feel comfortable accepting money because I want the time and energy I spend for the parish to belong entirely to God. I don't sing or serve in the altar, so I feel this is my way of giving back. Taking money for it just doesn't feel right. As another point, I used to waste so much of my time doing nonsense and this is my way of giving back to God some "makeup time". Finally, I'm also doing it because I really need God's help in a few matters and this is my sacrifice for God.

I don't want to hurt the feelings of my rector or our parish, so I need to find a polite way out of the situation, and I also need to find an explanation for my parents who are insisting that I accept this because I deserve it and because the parish can afford it.

Any advice?
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 10:04:37 PM »

Perhaps you could accept it, so as not to offend anyone, but then turn around and donate it a monastery or IOCC or something like that?

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 10:10:04 PM »

Kaminetz:

Discuss it with your priest or just take it and then re-write a check back to the parish.

Also, please post a link so that we can see your work.  Wink

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 02:37:07 AM »

Don't reject their gift, which would be an insult to the gratitude and love that they have in their hearts.  If you don't want the cash, then I ditto Veniamin and say give it to like IOCC or OCMC... and even better, in the name of your Church, maybe.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: