Author Topic: Money for helping the church  (Read 891 times)

Offline Kaminetz

Money for helping the church
« on: May 17, 2006, 09:59:23 PM »
Hello all, it's been a while.

I've been helping my parish over the past year by setting up and running their website. I just recently overheard that in gratitude for my work they wanted to give me a financial reward.

I don't feel comfortable accepting money because I want the time and energy I spend for the parish to belong entirely to God. I don't sing or serve in the altar, so I feel this is my way of giving back. Taking money for it just doesn't feel right. As another point, I used to waste so much of my time doing nonsense and this is my way of giving back to God some "makeup time". Finally, I'm also doing it because I really need God's help in a few matters and this is my sacrifice for God.

I don't want to hurt the feelings of my rector or our parish, so I need to find a polite way out of the situation, and I also need to find an explanation for my parents who are insisting that I accept this because I deserve it and because the parish can afford it.

Any advice?

Offline Veniamin

• Fire for Effect!
  • Archon
  • St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery
Re: Money for helping the church
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 10:04:37 PM »
Perhaps you could accept it, so as not to offend anyone, but then turn around and donate it a monastery or IOCC or something like that?
Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great

Offline aserb

• asinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 10:10:04 PM »
Kaminetz:

Discuss it with your priest or just take it and then re-write a check back to the parish.

Also, please post a link so that we can see your work.  ;)
Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 02:37:07 AM »
Don't reject their gift, which would be an insult to the gratitude and love that they have in their hearts.  If you don't want the cash, then I ditto Veniamin and say give it to like IOCC or OCMC... and even better, in the name of your Church, maybe.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.