OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 10:32:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOME FACTS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH  (Read 1275 times) Average Rating: 0
ωραία ελληνίς

« on: May 17, 2006, 02:33:55 PM »

I was watching a documentaire on tv, concerning Jeanne d'Arc...
I am not sure, but I think that the bishop who condemned Jeanne, was later named "saint" ;so was Jeanne d'Arc(whom I love and admire) of course...
I wonder if Catholic Church has recognised that She has done many faults..
And what about this bishop?If my information is true, has he still the title of saintity?
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 03:40:42 PM »

The bishop who helped in the condemnation of Joan was Pierre (or Peter) Cauchon the Bishop of Beauvais and "strong ally of the English".  Joan was captured by the Burgundians and given to the English who were busy fighting Charles of France and his forces.  He has never been declared a saint and the on-line RC dictionary "New Advent" says this:

"Pierre Cauchon, bishop of Beauvais and strong ally of the English, tricked her into an admission of guilt.." and that he was guilty of "personal corruption".

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
ωραία ελληνίς

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 03:48:52 PM »

OK. So I was not well informed...Thank you.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 03:56:10 PM »

[quote author=ωραία ελληνίς link=topic=9071.msg121158#msg121158 date=1147890835]
I wonder if Catholic Church has recognised that She has done many faults..
[/quote]

JPII certainly made his fair share of official apologies for the past actions of the Catholic Church.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 04:01:24 PM »

[quote author=ωραία ελληνίς link=topic=9071.msg121166#msg121166 date=1147895332]
OK. So I was not well informed...Thank you.
[/quote]

You're welcome. 

At your service in the cause of History.  Wink

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Mother Anastasia

Faith: pre-schism Orthodox/Catholic
Jurisdiction: Independent

SS Francis & Seraphim praying for unity.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 01:35:50 AM »

We have seen a few "documentary" styled presentations, by the Discovery and History Channels that we have been told are on cable tv, claiming to present historical facts about Christianity.    They were very inaccurate and came to a conclusion that was slanted to be anti-religion.

There are many so called films about the "faith"  that are presented as truth,  but it is always important to find out who the film makers are and what their perspective or motive is.

It has been our experience that you can really trust EWTN as far as simple Catholic documentaries and presentations, about the saints etc.  And the other major Christian networks have reliable historical presentations about the Bible and archeology,  (as long as there is no political motive behind it).

I know very little about these things, but someone once said, when it comes to history books and their accuracy, etc.,  it depends on who wrote the book.   So it is always good to do a little research and find out if what was presented is indeed an accurate account. 

But I have noticed that if I listen very carefully that is with my heart, truth carries its own anointing, and along with that, peace. 

Something that is being falsely represented usually creates a sense of anxiety and doesn't ring true.

I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word, so that they may all be one, as You, Father are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: