OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 06:33:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do Orthodox View the Divine Mercy Devotion  (Read 3178 times) Average Rating: 0
Mother Anastasia

Faith: pre-schism Orthodox/Catholic
Jurisdiction: Independent

SS Francis & Seraphim praying for unity.

« on: May 15, 2006, 11:31:13 PM »

I would really like a better understanding of how the Orthodox see the Divine Mercy Devotion.

Since Poland is so close to Eastern Europe, I thought perhaps there might be some kind of interest in this devotion.

I'm still not clear about some of the issues relating to the release of grace that seem to be against the Orthodox Faith, perhaps you could clarify that for me.

Thank you

I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word, so that they may all be one, as You, Father are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.
ωραία ελληνίς

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 01:33:46 PM »

Mother Anastasia, would you please tell us on what the Divine Mercy Devotion consists?
Mother Anastasia

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 11:53:38 PM »

Background of the Divine Mercy Devotion

From the diary of a young Polish nun, a special devotion
began spreading throughout the world in the 1930s. The
message is nothing new, but is a reminder of what the
Church has always taught through scripture and tradition:
that God is merciful and forgiving and that we, too, must
show mercy and forgiveness. But in the Divine Mercy
devotion, the message takes on a powerful new focus,
calling people to a deeper understanding that God’s love is
unlimited and available to everyone — especially the
greatest sinners.

http://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/backgr.htm

The message and devotion to Jesus as The Divine Mercy
is based on the writings of Saint Faustina Kowalska, an
uneducated Polish nun who, in obedience to her spiritual
director, wrote a diary of about 600 pages recording the
revelations she received about God’s mercy. Even before
her death in 1938, the devotion to The Divine Mercy had
begun to spread.

The message of mercy is that God loves us — all of us —
no matter how great our sins. He wants us to recognize that
His mercy is greater than our sins, so that we will call upon
Him with trust, receive His mercy, and let it flow through us to
others. Thus, all will come to share His joy. It is a message
we can call to mind simply by remembering ABC.

A — Ask for His Mercy. God wants us to approach
Him in prayer constantly, repenting of our sins and
asking Him to pour His mercy out upon us and upon
the whole world.

B — Be merciful. God wants us to receive His mercy
and let it flow through us to others. He wants us to
extend love and forgiveness to others just as He does
to us.

C — Completely trust in Jesus. God wants us to know
that the graces of His mercy are dependent upon our
trust. The more we trust in Jesus, the more we will
receive.

Merciful Heart

There are two scriptural verses that we should keep in mind
as we involve ourselves in these devotional practices:

1. "This people honors me with their lips, but their hearts are
far from me" (Is 29:13);

2. Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy" (Mt
5:7).

It's an ironic and somewhat frightening fact that many of the
most religious people of Christ's time (people who were
actively practicing their religion and eagerly awaiting the
promised Messiah) were not able to recognize Him when
He came.

The Pharisees, to whom Christ was speaking in the first
quotation above, were very devoted to the prayers, rules,
and rituals of their religion; but over the years, these outer
observances had become so important in themselves that
their real meaning had been lost. The Pharisees performed
all the prescribed sacrifices, said all the right prayers, fasted
regularly, and talked a lot of about God, but none of it had
touched their hearts. As a result, they had no relationship
with God, they were not living the way He wanted them to
live, and they were not prepared for the coming of Jesus.

When we look at the image of the Merciful Savior, or pause
for prayer at three o'clock, or pray the Chaplet — are these
things drawing us closer to the real sacramental life of the
Church and allowing Jesus to transform our hearts? Or have
they just become religious habits? In our daily lives are we
growing more and more as people of mercy? Or are we just
giving "lip service" to God's mercy?

The Chaplet of The Divine Mercy

The Chaplet
1. Begin with the Sign of the Cross, 1 Our Father, 1 Hail Mary and The Apostles Creed.

2. Then on the Our Father Beads say the following:
Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

3. On the 10 Hail Mary Beads say the following:
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

(Repeat step 2 and 3 for all five decades).

4. Conclude with (three times):
Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

In 1933, God gave Sister Faustina a striking vision of His Mercy,
Sister tells us:

"I saw a great light, with God the Father in the midst of it.
Between this light and the earth I saw Jesus nailed to the Cross
and in such a way that God, wanting to look upon the earth, had to
look through Our Lord's wounds and I understood that God blessed
the earth for the sake of Jesus."

Of another vision on Sept. 13, 1935, she writes:

"I saw an Angel, the executor of God's wrath... about to strike
the earth...I began to beg God earnestly for the world with words
which I heard interiorly. As I prayed in this way, I saw the
Angel's helplessness, and he could not carry out the just
punishment...."

The following day an inner voice taught her to say this prayer on
ordinary rosary beads:

"First say one 'Our Father', 'Hail Mary', and 'I believe'. Then on
the large beads say the following words:

'Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity
of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement
for our sins and those of the whole world.'

On the smaller beads you are to say the following words:

'For the sake of His sorrowful Passion have mercy on us and on the
whole world.'

In conclusion you are to say these words three times:

'Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us
and on the whole world'.

Jesus said later to Sister Faustina:

"Say unceasingly this chaplet that I have taught you. Anyone who
says it will receive great Mercy at the hour of death. Priests
will recommend it to sinners as the last hope. Even the most
hardened sinner, if he recites this Chaplet even once, will
receive grace from My Infinite Mercy. I want the whole world to
know My Infinite Mercy. I want to give unimaginable graces to
those who trust in My Mercy...."

"....When they say this Chaplet in the presence of the dying, I
will stand between My Father and the dying person not as the just
judge but as the Merciful Savior".

http://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm

I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word, so that they may all be one, as You, Father are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.
Mother Anastasia

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:09:58 AM »

This is another image and an MP3 contemplative version is on our web site as a free download.    http://www.ourladylightofthewoods.org/holy_music_DMC.php

The red and pale rays represent the bloold and water that came from His side.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 12:10:57 AM by Mother Anastasia » Logged

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 07:14:04 AM »

Christ is Risen!

Mother Anastasia,

I am aware of the Divine Mercy Devotion thru my Roman Catholic Mother-in-law whoÂÂ  gave me the Life of Sister Faustina and always has a novena of Masses offered for myself and my wife around the Divine Mercy Sunday.ÂÂ  This being said, once again we hit the basic area that the Divine Mercy Mission is not part of Eastern Church's spirituality and practices. The vision is considered part of private revelation that did not occur within the Eastern Orthodox spiritual teachings and therefore is not officially observed by the Eastern Orthodox Church. The Eastern Rite CatholicsÂÂ  minimally observe it as it is a Roman Catholic devotion and they are officially under the Bishop of Rome, whom they have accepted with their act of union, as their accepted Vicar of Christ. The Eastern Rite Catholics I know are vaguely aware of the devotion but do not practice it as it does not fit the worship traditions that theyÂÂ  inherited from the Eastern Spiritual Fathers. Some of the Latinized Eastern Rite Catholics will have in the Church a painting of the Divine Mercy Christ that you will find in many Roman Catholic homes.ÂÂ  Pope John Paul II had a byzantine style iconÂÂ  written of the Divine Mercy Painting that he kept in his private apartments. A copy of that "icon" is available thru the Divine Mercy Mission in the US if one asks for Information in Greek. But it is not an Eastern Orthodox spiritual practice that I know of---there may be some converts from the RC who continue it much as they do the Rosary, but if they do so it owuld be as a private not a public devotion and would be an anomaly.

As a side,ÂÂ  I am not sure how happy Sister Faustina would be with the Divine Mercy "icon" as in her own writings she expresses frustration with the painting of the Divine Mercy that she commissioned ---she stated the artists never got the vision right, the beauty of Christ and what she saw in her vision and feltÂÂ  the vision never could be captured by the paintings she saw in her lifetime.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 02:20:35 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
ωραία ελληνίς

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 01:56:20 PM »

Mother Anastasia, thank you for all these informations...I was really moved by the promise that if we recite this prayer  "before a dying person" he/she is going to be forgiven...I wish it were so...I am thinking about my mother who has not  confessed, and she is not so well at her health... I have tried to speak to a priest who knows her, and he did come to visit us, but my mother did not confess,,,So many obstacles...
And I am not the best of the daughters on earth, I am sorry about that...
Do you personnaly believe that, despite all that, Merciful Jesus will accept her in His Arms, when she dies?
And, I am neither such a merciful person as Jesus wants us to be...
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 04:13:38 PM »

What Thomas said, but the Eastern Catholics don't have to do it, even minimally, because they're under Rome. Quite the opposite. They're not supposed to adopt Western practices in their churches but historically for a long time many have disobeyed Rome and done just that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 04:14:02 PM by The young fogey » Logged

Mother Anastasia

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 06:27:55 PM »

Christ is Risen! I am aware of the Divine Mercy Devotion thru my Roman Catholic Mother-in-law who  gave me the Life of Sister Faustina and always has a novena of Masses offered for myself and my wife around the Divine Mercy Sunday.  This being said, once again we hit the basic area that the Divine Mercy Mission is not part of Eastern Church's spirituality and practices. The vision is considered part of private revelation that did not occur within the Eastern Orthodox spiritual teachings and therefore is not officially observed by the Eastern Orthodox Church.

Thank you.  I understand this is not within EO teachings.  I would like to know if this devotion presents any concrete obstacle to union between East and West.

I see  differences in East and West as something to respect and exercise Christian charity towards, without compromising  doctrinal beliefs, or fomenting divisions and rancor.

Whose to say that someone praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet at the bedside of the dying, unrepentant Eastern Orthodox sinner, will not obtain conversion for them at the last moment?

I believe God has shed many, many graces in both Traditions that are vitally needed by all;  for instance,  this sincere poster who is obviously Eastern, has used the resources at her disposal for the conversion of her ailing mother, without visible results.

If we disdain the working of the Holy Spirit, because it is Western,  and give this impression to those around us, are we not discouraging them from drinking from a fountain of mercy that could bring about the redemption of even one unrepentant sinner?

This is why, when I first enterred this forum, I got so hot under the collar.  There are real needs in both churches,  and they are going unmet because of cultural (I'm of Paul, I'm of Silas) exclusiveness, and its the 'little ones'  that suffer.

This isn't right brothers, we are co-laborers with Christ Who is at work in both churches, and how can we labor with Him if we are scattering the sheep?

God is doing a new thing,  call it innovation if you like, but even the Orthodox teachers of the canons, recognize the need for rewriting the canons to accommodate an authentic move of the Holy Spirit.

The Orthodox have preserved many precious articles of faith and practices,  for a Roman church that seems to be moving in an ever more worldly direction under social pressures, Orthodoxy is a desperately needed counterbalance,  but not at the cost of truth.   We need each other.

Mother Anastasia

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 06:37:08 PM »

[quote author=ωραία ελληνίς link=topic=9054.msg121156#msg121156 date=1147888580]
Mother Anastasia, thank you for all these informations...I was really moved by the promise that if we recite this prayer  "before a dying person" he/she is going to be forgiven...I wish it were so...I am thinking about my mother who has not  confessed, and she is not so well at her health... I have tried to speak to a priest who knows her, and he did come to visit us, but my mother did not confess,,,So many obstacles...
And I am not the best of the daughters on earth, I am sorry about that...
Do you personnaly believe that, despite all that, Merciful Jesus will accept her in His Arms, when she dies?
And, I am neither such a merciful person as Jesus wants us to be...
[/quote]

I personally believe that Jesus looks for occasions just like yours in which to prove His infinite mercy and love, by accepting her into His Arms. 

Pray the chaplet Daughter, in faith, and Jesus will do the rest.

Mother Anastasia

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 11:31:39 PM »

Christ is Risen As a side,  I am not sure how happy Sister Faustina would be with the Divine Maercy "icon" as in her own writings she expresses frustration with the painting of the Divine Mercy that she commissioned ---she stated the artists never got the vision right, the beauty of Christ and what she saw in her vision and felt  the vision never could be captured by the paintings she saw in her lifetime.

Dear Thomas,

Just a little note on this.  Our Lord appeared to Faustina and told her that it was not the perfection of the image in the painting that was important or that had power,  rather it was His grace working through the image that would touch souls.

Peace

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: