OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 02:07:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing a Jurisdiction in Canada  (Read 1870 times) Average Rating: 0
SeanMc

« on: May 16, 2006, 10:09:05 PM »

I personally don't like to "parish shop", so I'm wondering which jurisdiction is the "best," canonically and in terms of general situations, to be in in Canada.

I have the choice of 4 different jurisdictions which are within reasonable distance from where I live.

The closest (1 hrs of walking) is a Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Toronto parish.
The 2nd closest (10 min of walking, then bus) is a Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada parish. The UOCC is an autonomous church under the EP.
The 3rd closest is an OCA English parish. Interestingly, according the OCA Tomos of Autocephaly, "All parishes and clergy in Canada, which presently constitute the Edmonton, Canada Diocese of the Moscow Patriarchate (they all desired to remain in the jurisdiction of the Most Holy Patriarch)."
The farthest jurisdiction is an Antiochian Orthodox.

There's also a Coptic Orthodox parish near the Ukrainian, but I they are non-Chalcedonian.

ETA. Also, if you had the choice, what would you choose and why.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 10:10:02 PM by SeanMc » Logged
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 10:13:32 PM »

I'm wondering which jurisdiction is the "best," canonically...There's also a Coptic Orthodox parish near the Ukrainian, but I [think?] they are non-Chalcedonian.

All Coptic Orthodox parishes are non-Chalcedonian, and hence not canonical relative to the Eastern Chalcedonian Church, though certainly canonical with respect to the Oriental Orthodox Church.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 10:14:49 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
OrthodoxAndrew
Unworthy of being called Orthodox

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Andrew the Apostle

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 11:00:57 PM »

I would go with the OCA for sure. They are more prepared to help new people to the faith.

"Do what you want in order to send me as soon as possible from this transient life to eternal life. I am Christ's slave, I follow Christ, for Christ I die that I may live with Him!" - St. John of Decapolis before his martyrdom at the hands of the Turkish Muslims.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:06:09 PM »

I would go with the OCA for sure. They are more prepared to help new people to the faith.

While in a general sense the OCA is more about Orthodoxy than ethnicity and is typically a very missionary group - there are some wonderful parishes of the more ethnic jurisdictions as well.  My advice is to try all of them, but keep in mind distance and ease of access is very important in the long run. 
BasilCan

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 11:31:39 PM »

I think you are going about this all wrong.

First of all, make sure the parishes you want to visit (and you should visit a few) are genuinely "orthodox". ( Whether or not you consider the Copts "orthodox" or not - BTW I do, but that is another discussion, they are very ethnic in Canada)

Secondly, visit them and see if you "fit in"

From my friends in BC I can tell you the following. The english OCA parishes in BC are very good, but each has its own "feeling." The Antiochians have a new mission in BC. If you go to the established Arab Antiochian one (see their website) you will get the same feeling you get at the Copt one - too ethnic. Though, hey, try it out anyway.

Just go and pray!

Basil
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 12:14:59 AM »

Besides all the above, we recently had another thread (To GOA or Not To GOA) on pretty much the same subject where quite a few of us got into some rather spirited debate about what makes for canonicity of a jurisdiction.  You ask a very good question; I just don't want it to open another can of worms.  Wink
Tsarina

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

St. Anastasia Royal-Martyr

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 01:23:00 PM »

I live in Canada, and i choose the OCA. I find that the OCA churches are prepared to take new converts and to help them, and other also who are not just new converts. Besides that, the OCA Churches try to do the services in English, which helps if you can't speak or understand Greek/Russian.

"Orthodoxy is life; one cannot talk about it, one must live it."

St. Nectary of Optina
americanorthodox

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian, now OCA

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 02:57:04 PM »

Well, the OCA aren't more prepared than the Antiochians.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: