OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 02:33:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Syros historically 'real' Greek Catholics?  (Read 1484 times) Average Rating: 0
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: May 15, 2006, 10:22:14 PM »

I was listening to a popular greek song called "Frangosyriani" which means "Franco-girl from Syros". Franco is another way for saying Catholic/western. The French and Italians came and conquered this island and apparently this greek island came to be known as the "Pope's Island". The island is now half orthodox, half catholic. Perhaps it is this island which makes up the majority of greece's 0.5% non-orthodox population (with muslims ans jews also included). Also, the music, language, and dances, of some historically greek islands near the coast of italy resemble more italian and western european forms than something the average greek would expect.

I was wondering if the Greek Orthodox church in Greece ever sought out to re-evangelise/ re-convert these orthodox people or have they given up on that? I've also heard that eventually the natives of these islands have hellenised their names from italian- which means that their names were originally latin-origin and thus catholic. UNLESS they were greeks who FIRST Latinised their names for aesthetic/political purposes and then re-hellenised their names again.

"With the foundation of the Greek State the Catholic population of the island were Hellenized and changed their Latin family names to Greek. The family name Vuccino to Voutsinos, Russo to Roussos, Vacondio to Vakondios..." (wikipedia)

"Because of the Venetian domination from the Middle Ages onwards, the islanders were once exclusively Roman Catholic. However, due to immigration from other islands, Catholics now constitute some 40% of the population.The great majority of the population are Greek Orthodox. They live side by side very peacefully. Intermarriage between denominations is very common in Syros."- from wikipedia (not that I believe it biblewise).

Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 10:33:12 PM »

Religion
The majority of Greek citizens (95—98%) have at least nominal membership in the Greek Orthodox Church. Greek Muslims make up about 1.3% of the population, and live primarily in Thrace. Greece also has some Roman Catholics, mainly in the city of Patras, Corfu, and the Cyclades islands of Syros, Paros, Tinos, and Naxos

what's Pope's island called in Greek?

Btw, I've heard conflicting reports of the religion % in Greece, but whether its 98% or 95% , be happy its not like in Serbia, 65%.  :'(

I'm a little confused as whether the people on that Island are originally Greeks or Latins...?

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 10:36:36 PM »

OOps...syros = pope's island, makes sense.  Roll Eyes

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 11:31:34 PM »

I'm a little confused as whether the people on that Island are originally Greeks or Latins...?

Me too. I read another website stating that their greek dialect is very 'sing-songy' and Italian (and french to a degree) is very 'sing-songy' . Theres even a city on Syro called "Della Grazia named after a catholic italian church there.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: