OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:18:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Charles is off to Mount Athos  (Read 8907 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2006, 01:06:08 AM »

Women should be allowed on Athos because women and men both face similar challenges living in the same world, and both sexes can benefit from Athos' unique experience.

Athos does not exist for our direct benefit; it exists for those with the vocation to entirely leave the world and spend their life in prayer.  Those from whom we, as laymen, are to chiefly obtain benefit is those with a different vocation: priests, bishops, spiritual fathers etc.     
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2006, 05:40:46 AM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9024.msg120670#msg120670 date=1147583168]
Athos does not exist for our direct benefit; it exists for those with the vocation to entirely leave the world and spend their life in prayer.  Those from whom we, as laymen, are to chiefly obtain benefit is those with a different vocation: priests, bishops, spiritual fathers etc. [/quote]
I beg to differ- I think all monasteries directly benefit us. Athos is a battery which keeps the world going. Eldress Gavrielia once said: "If the world is standing on it's feet today, it is because of the prayers of all the monastics.", and I would agree.
Whatever life throws at us, prayers are being offered on our behalf, which is why we pray for mercy and salvation "Through the prayers of our holy fathers......"

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2006, 08:27:44 AM »

Plus they help us enormously by keeping multitudes of demons engaged in spiritual battle on Mount Athos, thus freeing us from facing many more attacks from the evil one.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2006, 08:54:21 AM »

I'd never thought of our monastics as "taking one for the team", but I can see the sense in that!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2006, 04:55:35 PM »

George, I actually agree with you.  We differ only in wording; I said monasteries don't exist for our direct benefite - meaning that indirectly we recieve the fruits of the prayers of the monastics.  There are other vocations within the church that more tangibly touch the life of the average layperson. 
Tags: Prince Charles Athos 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: